Posted By
drjchamberlain
Jun 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear members:

I am currently searching for a simple and effective alternative to develop a plug-in for Photoshop. The plug-in will not be complex in nature and the following is part of what I intend to do with it:

1. Select portion of an image according to the contrast between this portion of the image and the surrounding background or color

2. Have this selected portion divided into segments according to the color or shade. The image would be divided in three, five or any user-defined number of portions by lines separating them and each would be identified by its own color value that can be provided in Lab or any other color system. The placement of the boundary lines will be performed by the software itself and will be determined by the number of segments entered by the user as well as the position of the different shades in the image.

3. These portions of the image will then be referenced according to a look-up table and a proprietary value returned according to the value of the color

4. A surface map will be created over the surface of the selected segment and each will be identified by the predominant color in that specific segment as well as the proprietary value returned from the look-up table.

5. Other features that will allow some degree of image enhancement.

Adobe’s web site describes a developer kit called SDK. I am looking for a simple programming solution since I am not a programmer and have little experiencing with programming. For this reason an object-oriented language would be preferable as it would simplify the job. Any suggestions ?

I would also like to ask for suggestions on textbooks that cover the development of plug-ins or tools for Photoshop. I have looked at Adobe’s Press but haven’t found anything. What textbook would you suggest to cover this subject ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Photo-Plugins
Jun 8, 2005
A very good alternative to the Adobe SDK is FilterMeister (www.filtermeister.com)
I use it to develop the plugins I distribute from www.photo-plugins.com There is a Yahoo Group about FilterMeister,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FMML
I suggest you post the same question there, you’ll get lots of assistance.

Joseph Chamberlain, DDS wrote:
Dear members:

I am currently searching for a simple and effective alternative to develop a plug-in for Photoshop. The plug-in will not be complex in nature and the following is part of what I intend to do with it:

1. Select portion of an image according to the contrast between this portion of the image and the surrounding background or color

2. Have this selected portion divided into segments according to the color or shade. The image would be divided in three, five or any user-defined number of portions by lines separating them and each would be identified by its own color value that can be provided in Lab or any other color system. The placement of the boundary lines will be performed by the software itself and will be determined by the number of segments entered by the user as well as the position of the different shades in the image.

3. These portions of the image will then be referenced according to a look-up table and a proprietary value returned according to the value of the color

4. A surface map will be created over the surface of the selected segment and each will be identified by the predominant color in that specific segment as well as the proprietary value returned from the look-up table.
5. Other features that will allow some degree of image enhancement.
Adobe’s web site describes a developer kit called SDK. I am looking for a simple programming solution since I am not a programmer and have little experiencing with programming. For this reason an object-oriented language would be preferable as it would simplify the job. Any suggestions ?
I would also like to ask for suggestions on textbooks that cover the development of plug-ins or tools for Photoshop. I have looked at Adobe’s Press but haven’t found anything. What textbook would you suggest to cover this subject ?

T
toby
Jun 8, 2005
Joseph Chamberlain, DDS wrote:
Dear members:

I am currently searching for a simple and effective alternative to develop a plug-in for Photoshop. …

Learning everything you need to write a plugin is not a trivial task, if you’re not already a programmer. Also, the current SDK costs real money. However, you can easily use one of the older SDKs that were freely distributed on Photoshop CDs up until version 6.0. The easiest languages to use with the SDK are C and C++.

There are a couple of web articles, but nothing particularly good for beginners. I have considered writing one. There is a lot of sample (GPL) source code available on my site,
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/ – including one complex filter plugin with preview and its own expression language, named Filter Foundry.

FilterMeister would indeed be a simpler entree than using the SDK directly, but it is Windows only.

See http://thepluginsite.com/knowhow/plugincreation.htm for some more information.

–Toby

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
B
BubblyBabs
Jun 9, 2005
There are a couple of web articles, but nothing particularly good for beginners. I have considered writing one. There is a lot of sample (GPL) source code available on my site,
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/ – including one complex filter plugin with preview and its own expression language, named Filter Foundry.

FilterMeister would indeed be a simpler entree than using the SDK directly, but it is Windows only.

See http://thepluginsite.com/knowhow/plugincreation.htm for some more information.

–Toby

Some of those plugins are really nice and useful too!
Babs

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections