JW
Posted By
John_Worcester
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Recently had problems with a possible trojan called WinWildApp.exe on my machine. In the course of trying to figure out what was going on, I came across an app on my machine called ADOBE LM SERVICE. Did a Google search to find out what it was and discovered that it is apparently a piece of Spyware produced by Macrovision and embedded in PSCS. Here is the crux of what I discovered copied from one website:
Adobe Photoshop CS alleged to contain SPYWARE
If you’ve bought Photoshop CS and have noticed a new service called "Adobe LM Service", this is Macrovision SafeCast spyware.

Not quite a virus, but SafeCast does a lot more than advertised.

Each time Photoshop is started, SafeCast takes an inventory of the machine it’s installed on, and will refuse to load the application if it decides too much has changed. The copy protection appears to be analogous to that found in Windows XP: »www.macrovision.com/products/safecast/..

The most frightening part of SafeCast is that the licensing terms can be changed AFTER THE PRODUCT IS PURCHASED.
So, for example, if Abobe decides to make Photoshop a
pay-per-use application and customers do not agree to these terms, Adobe can remotely pull the plug on these customers.

Not only has Adobe gotten on the Windows XP bandwagon, but now they are adopting the new Microsoft goal of being able to change the rules any time they desire, after you’ve agreed to the original license.

Does anyone know any more about this? It seems a blatant invasion of privacy. It’s like buying a refrigerator that shuts off if the manufacturer decides you are using too much ice. Can this app be disabled? I have read that it reinstalls itself on startup.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Jun 10, 2004
They can’t change anything if you’re disconnected from the ‘net.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 10, 2004
It’s not spyware. This is the activation we’ve come to love so much. Don’t worry, you can still work with that ball and chain on your ankle.
B
BobLevine
Jun 10, 2004
Does anyone know any more about this?

The people who wrote that "review" don’t seem to know ANYTHING about it.

Bob
C
chuckufarley
Jun 11, 2004
They can’t change anything if you’re disconnected from the ‘net.

Or if you’ve got a properly configured firewall, which everyone should anyway.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Jun 11, 2004
Dave,

If you dislike activation so much why do you use Photoshop? Judging by your website you have absolutely no need for it. I’d suggest MS Paint might be more your speed.

John,

If you are so concerned about the Adobe LM Service sending data to Adobe then shut the service off after you’ve started Photoshop. You can’t disable the service, Photoshop will start it regardless of startup type status but you can stop it after Photoshop has been started. Not that this does a whole lot of good because the Adobe LM service only verifies that Photoshop has been authenticated which is why the service can’t be disabled and why stopping it after the Photoshop has been started won’t change anything.

TO put it simply, that "review" was full of crap and so is anyone else who says the Adobe LM service is spyware.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Jun 11, 2004
"Judging by your website you have absolutely no need for it."

Dave is always helping people here with Photoshop. Your comment says a lot about you, Stuart.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Jun 11, 2004
Jake,

You’re right Jake, it says that I’m sick and tired of people repeating complete and utter crap passed on by third hand accounts from people who heard it third hand as well. Dave’s comments are way off base and he deserves any bit of ridicule and scorn he receives because of them.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 11, 2004
If you dislike activation so much why do you use Photoshop? Judging by your website you have absolutely no need for it. I’d suggest MS Paint might be more your speed.

Really not fair Stuart. I’m a technologist. Just because I’m not good at art doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it. And as a technologist I have a decent grasp (continually self-updated) of the entire industry and what and where problems look to be coming from, both legal, privacy-wise and technologically. I don’t like when restrictions are placed on technology. Call it gut instinct, or sentimental foolishness. Whatever. I believe what I believe and it’s based on fact as reported in many technology publications and my own research, experiments and endevors in technology.

And my website is YEARS out of date. Or did you miss the last update was : "Changes last made around about: Aw-Ghost 26, 1999." I didn’t even own photoshop back then. I didn’t get my own personal version (non-work) before ps 6 had almost run it’s cycle. I was thrilled enough with it to come up with the money for the Dynamic Media collection myself when it had nothing to do with my chosen profession, which I’m pretty good at, if I can say so myself.

I do professional, non-artistic web sites at work. Strictly financial stuff. Data base access and updates. Very dry. No design (as in image) elemnts at all. Layout of text and tables and grids and buttons and colors is more my business. Making the pages run smooth and fast while juggling HUGE amounts of data on an intranet is what I do. The thrill I get from my web work is in the code (ASP, HTML, DHTML, vbscript, javascript, css and xml & xslt) all working together on the same page, meshing… making music. But, just because I can’t/don’t/am not good at "drawn" art, doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate it, or that I don’t ooze jealosy over those of you who can.

Do you see many in here who stick up for Adobe more than me? PS is the only way I can even approximate the talent that most of you guys have in drawing/art. I’m grateful for it. I’m talented in music, writing and all manner of technology. But I can’t draw for shiete, even though I FEEL it. It facinates me. It calls to me the way music calls to me. But while I can play the bass, the guitar and the piano and sing quite passably, I suck at drawing. Don’t you think I know that? From my posts over the last couple of years don’t you think or see that I’m intellegent enough to recognize that?

But I also see beyond the "appplication" of the application – to the beauty of the program itself. It’s a technilogical marvel. Amazing. Fast, sleek, powerful and always evolving. In it’s own way, it’s as beautiful as any work of art created with it. Do YOU see THAT?

Like I said, that comment was really not fair and really hurt, especially coming from you, someone I respect.

dave
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 11, 2004
Dave’s comments are way off base

not. maybe exagerated (poetic license), but you’ve got blinders on my man.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 11, 2004
thanks for having my back jake! 🙂
JH
Jake_Hannam
Jun 11, 2004
No prob, Dave.

I just get tired of people always trashing other people. This, especially on a day when the nation mourns the loss of our last great leader who never spoke ill of anyone. He set the standard to which no one has yet aspired, much less achieved.

This forum provides a safe, relatively anonymous way, to ask questions, offer advice, and even vent once in awhile. The efforts of some who try to stifle this free exchange of information and ideas is a sad reflection on the world we live in. We don’t have to agree and we can respectfully say so. The key word is ‘respectfully".

Jake
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 11, 2004
Dave,

I sympathise with your reply, but even if you can’t do Art at least you could use the spell checker. Your schoolboy howlers take the edge off your usually pertinent comments.

Cheers – John
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 11, 2004
🙂

hey everybody’s got a style.
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Jun 11, 2004
Stuart,
next time before you post critizising someone do a search on the person and see his/her postings. In the case of Dave you would have realized that he is an EXPERT in any thing PS relatad. That includes Web and Equipment.

John
using the spell Checker in a forum where people seek help is a wast of time. One must be a fool critizing someone reading all the posts and answering so frecuently and fast as Dave does. Time is money. Correct spelling takes a back seat.

Ignor all that crap Dave, please.
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 11, 2004
ignerred. 🙂 stuart knows me. (or does he)? i hope he knows me a little better now anyway.
JW
John_Worcester
Jun 11, 2004
Well, I just asked a question to get information on an application of which I had a concern. It seems that I got the answer although I had to wade through a myriad of diatribes from boys trying to out testosterone each other, and one eulogy. Thanks to all of you. I needed to bond with my fellow males. Hand me another beer. The "Man Show" is coming on.
P
Phosphor
Jun 11, 2004
The word myriad doesn’t require "a" preceding it and "of" following it.

In fact, it’s generally bad form.
I
ImJeffP
Jun 11, 2004
Nice font, though.
JW
John_Worcester
Jun 11, 2004
No one has ever accused me of good form. And what is phos phor?
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 11, 2004
From the American Heritage Dictionary:

Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad men. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s “Myriad myriads of lives.” This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, both uses in English are parallel with those of the original ancient Greek. The Greek word myrias, from which myriad derives, could be used as either a noun or an adjective, but the noun myrias was used in general prose and in mathematics while the adjective myrias was used only in poetry.

More at the Merriam-Webster Dictionary: < http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va =myriad> .
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks for being here Dave, you’ve helped me many times, and it seems like you offer help with just about everyone else’s problems as well.

Another good thing you do, is to make everyone here feel welcome even when they are posting for the very first time. That is very important in a forum.

You are right, Photoshop really is quite a miracle, and so are computers and the internet!
O
Ol__Whozit
Jun 12, 2004
<quote=John Joslin>"Dave, I sympathise with your reply, but even if you can’t do Art at least you could use the spell checker. Your schoolboy howlers take the edge off your usually pertinent comments.
Cheers – John

In the case of Dave (but not TDO), < http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-200406 06.html>

Dave’s technical expertise and enthusiasm more than make up for his lack of artistic perfection. His heart speaks art that his hand cannot.

In this day and age of "loose" for "lose," I’ll take Dave’s misspellings over those of the IM illiterate any day of the week!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks OW! I was thinking of that Dilbert strip when I saw the original post! How weird is that?
O
Ol__Whozit
Jun 13, 2004
Not weird at all, Dave. You’re intelligent enough to recognize yourself and your abilities, and cultured enough to be a Dilbert afficionado. Just don’t go Wally on us, okay? My husband identifies with him ever since the paper holder ring Wally invented to minimize the effort of holding papers at work…

I thought the "Deadly binder Safety Manuals" storyline was one of the recent best, myself…LOL!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 13, 2004
Just don’t go Wally on us, okay?

I can identify with Wally. Rememeber when he went all happy to a meeting and the Dilbert asked him what was wrong? He replied someone left the keys in the storage cabinet and it was like getting a bonus.

Make sure to read Dilbert’s "Way of the Weasel".
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 14, 2004
vb doesn’t really go on web pages, but you’re right in a way, i do create a lot of active x dlls to use. so add that one.
RH
r_harvey
Jun 14, 2004
VB isn’t even proper compiled code!

That’s true, of course. But Dave might have been talking about VBScript, which is yet another flavor MS developed; it’s not the same thing as VB. They had planned on VBScript replacing JavaScript, but instead it lives along side it. VBScript it is rarely used in commercial Web sites, because it’s only for browsers based on MSHTML (i.e. IE).

By the way, JavaScript is not the same thing as Java, either. Sigh.
P
Phosphor
Jun 14, 2004
Vacation Bible School cr[y]pt?
J
johnkissane3
Jun 14, 2004
Ladies and G-men, VB is Victoria Bitter. Good Stuff

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections