Posted By
Carol_Segarra
May 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there everyone,

I created a cover comp title with metallic type on a black background using photoshop 7. I then brought it into illustrator 10 and placed in onto a black letter size background. I added all the other reverse type in illustrator because I wanted the type to be crisp. How do I prepare the cover to be printed? I kinda faked it for the comp, but I’m not sure I went about it the right way. The printer wants an electronic file. Can anybody help?

I am using a windows 2000 OS. I have the Adobe CS package right now.

Thanks a lot,
Carol

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
May 26, 2004
By metallic type, do you mean metallic ink is to be used for the final product?
DM
Don_McCahill
May 27, 2004
If the colors are simply black and the metal, choose a pantone metallic color and process it as a spot color. There are several gold and silver metallics in pantone.

Don’t do anything fancy to the metallic, just give it a smooth solid color. It will look flat on the screen and proof, but will print as per the Pantone sample.
CS
Carol_Segarra
May 27, 2004
CS
Carol_Segarra
May 27, 2004
Hi Rene and Don,

The type I created is 3D and embossed, kinda like the titles for the movies "Troy" and "Harry Potter" that are out now. It is not a flat color. And, it will be printed. Is it OK that I brought it into illustrator and finished the rest of the cover there? It seems a llttle unorthodox. Can the printer work from that comp if I supply the photoshop file with it?

Thanks for your help.
Carol
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 27, 2004
Is it OK that I brought it into illustrator and finished the rest of the cover there? It seems a llttle unorthodox.

Not unorthodox at all, Carol. That’s the way it’s done every day by many prepress professionals.

Can the printer work from that comp if I supply the photoshop file with it?

Absolutely.

=-= Harron =-=
DM
Don_McCahill
May 27, 2004
Your embossing feature should work, so long as it is just using black and the Pantone color. If it is blending a lot of RGB or CMYK colors together to get the effect, you will lose all this if you only print in two colors.

You can check by looking into the channels. Use CMYK mode, or (better) Greyscale with spot, and make sure that there is nothing in the color channels. Only Black and your spot should contain info.
RW
Rene_Walling
May 27, 2004
And remember, the Troy and Harry Potter posters don’t have metallic ink, they just give a metallic effect using CMYK inks. A different thing altogether…
CS
Carol_Segarra
May 28, 2004
Thanks, Don, Rene & Harron,

I really appreciate your input. Yeah, I knew that the embossing effect was an illusion of metal and not metallic ink. So, I just set up the comp like a mechanical with crops, bleeds, etc., with one spot color and black in the photoshop file, and that will give me all of those highlights and shadows that I see in my 3D type? Is that right?

Thanks for all of your help.

Carol
CS
Carol_Segarra
May 28, 2004

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections