DK
Posted By
Dennis_Kane
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I type on a jpeg image in PShop (CS2), save, and it becomes a psd file. Yahoo online photo service doesn’t accept the psd upload. I’m too new to the program to know the solution(s). (When I click Save As, A dialog box about "Maximum Compatibility" comes up. What’s that all about, and does it affect the process.)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 7, 2006
When you Save As, and the file has layers, you won’t have the option to save as JPEG, because JPEG files can’t hold layers. You have two choices: (1) Flatten the image, File > Save As, pick JPEG from the file type dropdown, and finish saving, then (if you want) Undo the flattening to keep working on, or to save, the layered version; or (2) Use File > Save for Web, pick JPEG for the type of file, set the options as desired, and then click on Save.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 7, 2006
Be aware that if the file is saved flattened, the text becomes just pixels embedded in the original image and cannot be removed or edited.

If the original matters to you, work on a copy.

This was implied in Michael’s answer but I thought I’d expand on it.
DM
Dani_Miller
Dec 7, 2006
I have a question like this one. When I save my photos in jpeg- they too turn right around and save in a pds file. I want to give a cd with photos on it but the person doesn’t have photoshop so she can only look at them with jpeg. She really doesn’t know alot about computers and i don’t feel like teaching her. How do i do this?
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Dec 8, 2006
Dani, when you do Save As, you get to choose the output format. The quick way to select JPG at that point is to hit Tab, then J, then Shift-Tab if you want to change the provided name.

Could it be that, after saving as a JPG and attempting to close the file, Photoshop is asking you whether to save the PSD? If so, just say no, unless you changed it and need to save it as a PSD also.

Go to www.irfanview.com, download the irfanview image viewing program, and include that downloaded file on the first CD you send her (along with your JPG files, of course). Have her double-click the irfanview file to install it to her disk drive, accepting its defaults. [I think it will associate JPG files by default, but you might want to install it on your computer first to make sure.]

Thereafter, all she has to do is put your CD in, open it with My Computer, and double-click on the first JPG. The only controls you need to teach her are PgUp & PgDn to navigate the images, Esc to quit, and maybe Enter to go to full-screen mode.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 8, 2006
What’s wrong with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Dec 8, 2006
What’s wrong with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

It’s a piece of MicroCrap compared to IrfanView.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 8, 2006
Now now Joe, it is already there in Windows and it works well for viewing JPEGs at full screen or as a controllable slide show.

It doesn’t have any other functions, but for millions of people it’s enough. They can even use it to view email attachments from the mail client without opening another program.

Although I have Bridge, ACDSee, IrfanView, and a host of similar stuff, I find myself using this piece of Microcrap on a daily basis to view the hundreds of JPEGs I am dealing with.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Dec 8, 2006
John, you obviously know your way around, and you have made a different choice. Some folks like a Buick, some like a Porsche, each for his own reasons. That is as it should be.

I always recommend IrfanView because:
1) it’s easy to use
2) it’s versatile
3) it’s free
4) it’s the Porsche
5) can’t get a free Porsche anywhere else!

In my opinion, however, the masses use Microsoft clunkware because they are not aware that other products are available that could make their computing experience more productive and pleasant.
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 8, 2006
Whether Infranview is a Porsche is debatable.

Windows Explorer might be a pair of shoes compared to your "Porsche", but then most people don’t have to learn how to use a pair of shoes.

As John pointed out, all this lady needs to do is view the images!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections