DB
Posted By
Dave B
Mar 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to permanently change the default black from it’s current 75-68-67-100 ? (PS CS)

Ditto for Illustrator CS…

Thanks

Dave B

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
Tacit
Mar 27, 2005
In article <5Hj1e.4842$>,
"Dave B" wrote:

Is there a way to permanently change the default black from it’s current 75-68-67-100 ? (PS CS)

The default black is the result of your CMYK setup. If you change your CMYK setup, you will change the CMYK values of the default black. You will also change the CMYK values of all your other colors, of course.

What is your goal? What do you want to change the default black to, and why?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
DB
Dave B
Mar 27, 2005
"Tacit" wrote in message
In article <5Hj1e.4842$>,
"Dave B" wrote:

The default black is the result of your CMYK setup. If you change your CMYK setup, you will change the CMYK values of the default black. You will also change the CMYK values of all your other colors, of course.
What is your goal? What do you want to change the default black to, and why?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

I do most of my blacks for printing at 60-40-40-100 – so I’d like to have it just stay at those values.
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 28, 2005
Dave B wrote:
….
….
I do most of my blacks for printing at 60-40-40-100 – so I’d like to have it just stay at those values.

You may define a swatch with that color value, and click on it whenever you want to use black, but I don’t know of a direct way to make this black value replace the defailt black foreground color. But you can get fairly close to those values with the following values in your Custom CMYK setup:

Black Gen Medium
Black Ink Limit 100%
Total Ink Limit 240%

This gives a default black of CMYK(55,44,42,100).

Keep in mind that your Custom CMYK only affects operations that convert colors to CMYK, and does not enforce a particular black value if you somehow alter individual channel values. To fix that problem, either fix the CMYK values in question manually with curves or Selective Color, or convert to RGB or Lab and back again to CMYK.

For more accuracy, instead of relying on the CMYK conversion use curves to set an exact black and white point. This is probably the better method in any case.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
T
Tacit
Mar 28, 2005
In article <rNK1e.16152$>,
"Mike Russell" wrote:

Black Gen Medium
Black Ink Limit 100%
Total Ink Limit 240%

This gives a default black of CMYK(55,44,42,100).

A black ink limit of 240% is not really appropriate for printing on a sheetfed press or on glossy stock; it will tend to produce shadows that are weak and lacking in depth. It’s more appropriate for web-fed presses or printing on newspaper stock.

It’s dangerous, I think, to change one’s separation parameters just for the purpose of chaging the way RGB black separates, without regard for the way the rest of the image will separate. Better to just keep the custom black handy as a color swatch.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections