SS
Posted By
Stephanie_Schaefer
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We’ve posted the updated MPSupport plugin that addresses the issues running CS on Dual Xeon systems. To download the plugin, click on the link for downloads and updates.

–Steph

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
May 10, 2004
bump… can a mod make this sticky for a few days?
ND
Nick_Decker
May 11, 2004
Will this plugin have any affect, good or bad, for those of us without multi-processors?
DM
dave_milbut
May 11, 2004
or hyperthreaded cpus? I know. I read. Dual Xeon MPs. Just checking! 🙂
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
May 11, 2004
This plugin will not have any affect on non-mp systems. The magic wand issue was specific to the Dual Xeons but I don’t think that’s the case for the bitmap issue. The recommendation would be for all users of MP systems to update this plugin.

–Steph
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2004
The magic wand issue could affect any MP system (even HyperThreaded).
L
LenHewitt
May 11, 2004
Topic made ‘sticky’
DM
dave_milbut
May 11, 2004
cool! thank you chris/steph (len! <g>)
PY
Peggy Y
May 11, 2004
I have a new pc with dual processors (intel) Is that "multi"?

New machine but same old brain,
Peggy
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 11, 2004
Yes Peggy it is "multi"
RK
Ronald_Keller
May 12, 2004
I was hoping that the MP support plugin would have solved the problem of "not having enough RAM" but alas it does not.

Today again I got the dreaded error "could not place the document because there is not enough memory (RAM)" when I tried to place an Illustrator file.

I do have enough RAM (2Gb) en 13 Gb free disk space.
Memory is set to 50% but even when set to 45% I got the error.

Photoshop 7.01 (memory set to 85%) has no problems with the same files. I noticed that when using Photoshop 7 the progress bar at the bottom immediately starts progressing but CS takes between 30 sec – 60 seconds before proceeding (or giving me the error).

Something is wrong but what?

Ronald
SA
Scott_A_Hartman
May 18, 2004
Thank you!!!!

Now, back to (magic wand intesive) work!

Scott
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 20, 2004
The latest Genuine Fractals v3.5 plugin now loads almost immediately where previously it took 6-10 seconds to load. The behaviour is now similar to performance I get w/PS7.

P4- 3.0
Intel D875PBZ System board
2Gb RAM
Hyperthreading enabled.

I’m also now running CS @80% RAM allocation to see if/how it misbehaves. Seems fine so far.

Russell
CB
CJ_Burianek
Aug 17, 2004
Hi Ronald

Not sure where you have your PS scratch disk but have you tried having it on a different hard drive than your system/photoshop??

I repeatedly got the "Not enough RAM" with Illustrator CS until I moved the scratch disk to a separate drive… Never had the same problem with Illustrator 10. Illustrator CS wouldn’t even OPEN files until I moved the scratch disk…

CJ
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 17, 2004
Russell,

Could you please do me a huge favour & set up a 211.5MB RGB file (5.5 x 5.42 x 4000ppi), then apply Filters>Distort>Diffuse Glow.

At 80% allocation my computer halts with a "not enough storage" dialog (used to be "not enough RAM" dialog) about halfway through the preview loading. It gets further along with each reduction in RAM allocation, until it completes at 49%. Doesn’t matter where I put the scratch disks, either, the halt is always at the same point.

If your machine does not do this, I’ll have one more try at salvage by changing to the same mobo as you are using. What brand/model RAM are you using, btw?

Thanks in advance,

Fred.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 17, 2004
Oops – that’s 5.5 x5.42 cm, not inches. Sorry.

Fred.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Aug 24, 2004
Could you please do me a huge favour & set up a 211.5MB RGB file (5.5 x 5.42 x 4000ppi), then apply Filters>Distort>Diffuse Glow.

Yes it displays that message unless RAM is reduced to 70%.

Russell
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 24, 2004
Thank you, Russell.

Interesting.

Your result seems to confirm that it is a hardware/software issue, with your setup a bit less vulnerable than mine. Perhaps this really is a fault with XP and PS working together on Intel HT dual channel DDR RAM platforms.

<resigned shrug>

Fred.

(P4 3.0, HT enabled, Asus P4P800 Deluxe [i865] mobo, 2GB Corsair TwinX PC3200 dual channel RAM in 4x 512MB sticks, matched pairs. MP plugin installed.)
RE
Robert_Enns
May 1, 2005
The only MSSupport Plugin update I find is dated 5/10/2004 under Downloads for PhotoShop CS in Windows(there is no section for CS 2). Where is the new one mentioned here?
DM
dave_milbut
May 1, 2005
there is no new one mentioned. that plug in is only (as far as we know) for CS. No updates yet for CS2. I suspect any changes in the MSSupport plugin have already been pre-packaged into CS2.
DS
Devendra_Singh
May 30, 2005
I am using PS 6.0 on Win XP Home with HT.

The PS hangs with HT enabled but problem vanishes with HT disabled. I wanted to use in the HT enabled mode. Is there any Fix available?

DS
CC
Chris_Cox
May 31, 2005
Look on the downloads page for Photoshop 6 updates.

Of course, there will be no new updates for Photoshop 6.
JA
John_A_McDonald10
Jun 1, 2005
Does this upgrade apply to CS2 as well as CS? My dual Xeon box is very slow during some operations.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 1, 2005
No, of course it doesn’t apply to CS2.
TB
Tyler_Berger
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah why did you put your question here??? SOOOOOOO go smoke a cigarette William Smoking Smoker!!!!!!!!!!!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections