P
Posted By
Pvest
Nov 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Firstly I’m running 2,54Ghz-1Gb RAM-HP-scanjet3570c-WinXP-homeSP2.

I’m scanning some of my family photos, but I’m having lots of problems in saving the photos without being distorted.

In the beginning I saved the photos as TIFF-LZW format and when scanning the photos I look’s just great, also when saving there is no problems. Even when opening them right after saving and closing them they still looks alright. But after awhile, when trying to go back and look at them, I getting problems.

In PaintShopPro-8 & 9, some of the pictures have horizontal dotted-stripes (1-2 or3) and some can be seem as thumbnails, but cannot be open and some can’t been seen or open at all.

Then I thought this could be a PaintShopPro -tiff converting problem and Installed Adobe PhotoShop CS(8). When I tried to open the tiff files made I PSP (8or9), even more of them couldn’t be open and I ended up with only between 50-60% of the scanned photos.

Then I started the scanning job once more, but this time I used Adobe PhotoShop CS(8) and used the twain-option with HP scanner software (as done in PaintShopPro) and saved all the files as Photoshop (psd) format. During scanning and saving everything looks alright as earlier, but after finished half of the job. I went back open internal browser for to see the result of the new scanning, but big was my despair when some of the scanned picture behaved and looked strange also this time. Now I don’t have any dotted horizontal stripes, but now I have a bluish picture, with some red horizontal strips and picture is only black and red horizontal vide stripes!!!???

Now I’m really lost and don’t know what to do or what is causing this problems. I have had a scanner for the last 10-13 (3pass) and have never experienced anything like this.

Can anyone try to advise me on hope to get around these problems, or have some links where these problems are discussed?

Could this be something (software/driver) on my PC conflicting with my graphic programs?

HELP – I cannot spend days in scanning my photos and then having go back and do it once more.

See also my posting 10.11.04- Corrupted scanned-saved tif files

Pvest – Norway

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

W
WharfRat
Nov 17, 2004
in article cKGmd.8249$
wrote on 11/17/04 3:37 AM:

Now I don’t have any dotted
horizontal stripes, but now I have a bluish picture, with some red horizontal strips and picture is only black and red horizontal vide stripes!!!???

Sounds as if the ccd is going out
and/or
your wiring harness is shorting.

MSD
P
Pvest
Nov 17, 2004
"WharfRat" skrev i melding
in article cKGmd.8249$

horizontal stripes, but now I have a bluish picture, with some red horizontal strips and picture is only black and red horizontal vide stripes!!!???

and/or

MSD

Pls. "translate" this. Ccd – wiring hardness – what – where?? :o) NB! Just found some error on my H: drive (deleting orphan file… – deleting index entry…) and are running CHKDSK right now. Mayby a part of my problem!??

Pvest
LL
Louis Leib
Nov 17, 2004
Is it possible you have a virus? Sounds like files are effected after being on the system and being opened and closed. That is where I would look. Hope it helps.
Lou

Pvest wrote:

I’m scanning some of my family photos, but I’m having lots of problems in saving the photos without being distorted.

In the beginning I saved the photos as TIFF-LZW format and when scanning the photos I look’s just great, also when saving there is no problems. Even when opening them right after saving and closing them they still looks alright. But after awhile, when trying to go back and look at them, I getting problems.

In PaintShopPro-8 & 9, some of the pictures have horizontal dotted-stripes (1-2 or3) and some can be seem as thumbnails, but cannot be open and some can’t been seen or open at all.

Then I thought this could be a PaintShopPro -tiff converting problem and Installed Adobe PhotoShop CS(8). When I tried to open the tiff files made I PSP (8or9), even more of them couldn’t be open and I ended up with only between 50-60% of the scanned photos.

Then I started the scanning job once more, but this time I used Adobe PhotoShop CS(8) and used the twain-option with HP scanner software (as done in PaintShopPro) and saved all the files as Photoshop (psd) format. During scanning and saving everything looks alright as earlier, but after finished half of the job. I went back open internal browser for to see the result of the new scanning, but big was my despair when some of the scanned picture behaved and looked strange also this time. Now I don’t have any dotted horizontal stripes, but now I have a bluish picture, with some red horizontal strips and picture is only black and red horizontal vide stripes!!!???

Now I’m really lost and don’t know what to do or what is causing this problems. I have had a scanner for the last 10-13 (3pass) and have never experienced anything like this.

Can anyone try to advise me on hope to get around these problems, or have some links where these problems are discussed?

Could this be something (software/driver) on my PC conflicting with my graphic programs?

HELP – I cannot spend days in scanning my photos and then having go back and do it once more.

Pvest – Norway

KW
Ken Weitzel
Nov 17, 2004
Hi…

An interesting experiment for only a few cents investment might be to scan one, and immediately copy it to a
cd-r.

Ken

Louis Leib wrote:
Is it possible you have a virus? Sounds like files are effected after being on the system and being opened and closed. That is where I would look. Hope it helps.
Lou

Pvest wrote:

Pvest – Norway

R
RSD99
Nov 17, 2004
Try turning *Off* hardware acceleration on your display adapter. Sometimes that makes a difference.

"Pvest" wrote in message

In the beginning I saved the photos as TIFF-LZW format and when scanning
the
photos I look’s just great, also when saving there is no problems. Even
when
opening them right after saving and closing them they still looks
alright.
But after awhile, when trying to go back and look at them, I getting problems.

In PaintShopPro-8 & 9, some of the pictures have horizontal
dotted-stripes
(1-2 or3) and some can be seem as thumbnails, but cannot be open and some can’t been seen or open at all.

Then I thought this could be a PaintShopPro -tiff converting problem and Installed Adobe PhotoShop CS(8). When I tried to open the tiff files made
I
PSP (8or9), even more of them couldn’t be open and I ended up with only between 50-60% of the scanned photos.

Then I started the scanning job once more, but this time I used Adobe PhotoShop CS(8) and used the twain-option with HP scanner software (as
done
in PaintShopPro) and saved all the files as Photoshop (psd) format.
During
scanning and saving everything looks alright as earlier, but after
finished
half of the job. I went back open internal browser for to see the result
of
the new scanning, but big was my despair when some of the scanned picture behaved and looked strange also this time. Now I don’t have any dotted horizontal stripes, but now I have a bluish picture, with some red horizontal strips and picture is only black and red horizontal vide stripes!!!???

HELP – I cannot spend days in scanning my photos and then having go back
and
do it once more.

Pvest – Norway

BB
Big Bill
Nov 17, 2004
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:29:38 +0100, "Pvest" wrote:

"WharfRat" skrev i melding
in article cKGmd.8249$

and/or

MSD

Pls. "translate" this. Ccd – wiring hardness – what – where?? :o) NB! Just found some error on my H: drive (deleting orphan file… – deleting index entry…) and are running CHKDSK right now. Mayby a part of my problem!??

Pvest

Quite possibly.
Reading your first post, I wondered where you were storing he image files, becasue it sure sounds like the media is going bad. All the symptoms (scanning fine, seeing the saved files OK, then getting errors on reading them again) point to the storage media going bad.

So, yes, try doing a re-scan and storing the files on another drive and see if that solves the problem. If it does, the H: drive is the problem.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
P
Pvest
Nov 18, 2004
"Big Bill" skrev i melding
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:29:38 +0100, "Pvest" wrote:

and/or

MSD

Pls. "translate" this. Ccd – wiring hardness – what – where?? :o) NB! Just found some error on my H: drive (deleting orphan file… – deleting
index entry…) and are running CHKDSK right now. Mayby a part of my problem!??

Pvest

Quite possibly.
Reading your first post, I wondered where you were storing he image files, becasue it sure sounds like the media is going bad. All the symptoms (scanning fine, seeing the saved files OK, then getting errors on reading them again) point to the storage media going bad.
So, yes, try doing a re-scan and storing the files on another drive and see if that solves the problem. If it does, the H: drive is the problem.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

It turned out that I had some serious conflicts on my H drive and I ran several disk utility programs before the reports said OK.

I have been scanning with PhotoShop and saved as PSD files on C drive today and so fare it looks alright. So if nothing happen during the night, it seems like my corrupted PSD files, were caused by problems on my H drive!!

But the horizontal dotted stripes on my TIFF files, scanned with PaintShopPro 8-9. Must be another problem, caused by TIFF-save-converter!? Because these files, I can open even though I have these stripes. So right now I scanning and saving as PSD filer. Though this format gives me huge (17-20Mb) files for each 300dpi picture, I will stick to this format until I have figured out what caused these stripes.

So I’m still interesting in having input on horizontals stripes when saving TIFF files:

Pvest
ER
Ed Ruf
Nov 18, 2004
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:15:47 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Pvest" wrote:

But the horizontal dotted stripes on my TIFF files, scanned with PaintShopPro 8-9. Must be another problem, caused by TIFF-save-converter!? Because these files, I can open even though I have these stripes. So right now I scanning and saving as PSD filer. Though this format gives me huge (17-20Mb) files for each 300dpi picture, I will stick to this format until I have figured out what caused these stripes.

So I’m still interesting in having input on horizontals stripes when saving TIFF files:

It’s not clear if you are talking about the tiffs you scanned before or after you fixed the disk problem If before, rescan them and see what happens.
________________________________________________________ Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
http://EdwardGRuf.com
BB
Big Bill
Nov 19, 2004
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:15:47 +0100, "Pvest" wrote:

If you scan an image using PSP, it should show up in PSP as an image, but it hasn’t been saved yet. Are those horizintal stripes there at this point? If so, the problem may be at the scanner.
However, if the saved file is saved both as a TIFF and a PSD file, and only one shows the lines, there may be something wrong with the driver for the TIFF conversion. If so, try reloading PSP, and see if that solves the problem.
Good luck!

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
P
Pvest
Nov 20, 2004
"Big Bill" skrev i melding
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:15:47 +0100, "Pvest" wrote:
now I scanning and saving as PSD filer. Though this format gives me huge (17-20Mb) files for each 300dpi picture, I will stick to this format until I
have figured out what caused these stripes.

If you scan an image using PSP, it should show up in PSP as an image, but it hasn’t been saved yet. Are those horizintal stripes there at this point? If so, the problem may be at the scanner.
However, if the saved file is saved both as a TIFF and a PSD file, and only one shows the lines, there may be something wrong with the driver for the TIFF conversion. If so, try reloading PSP, and see if that solves the problem.
Good luck!

No, they all looks fine after scanning, it’s only after I have saved them these strips appears. Though my H-drive don’t reports errors anymore, I will try to rescan and save both as PSD and TIFF files on C- and H- drive and see if I can see any abnormal behaviour, before reinstalling the software.

Pvest

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections