Replies
Status
Closed
"royo" wrote in message
I’m really getting exasperated with this. I have Windows 98 SE, 512 MB
RAM,
20 GB HD
Could use more How much is free?
– I free resources with GoodMem and set Elements to 80% memory.
Try 50%
Please, please why does it take so long to resize images from my Scanwit scanner and even longer to print – that is if they do print without memory errors. Please help a pathetic beginner.
You have starved Windows by allocating to much physical RAM to PS. Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
royo
Aug 18, 2004
I’m really getting exasperated with this. I have Windows 98 SE, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB HD – I free resources with GoodMem and set Elements to 80% memory. Please, please why does it take so long to resize images from my Scanwit scanner and even longer to print – that is if they do print without memory errors. Please help a pathetic beginner.
Thanks
Rod
LO
Lee Oswald Ving
Aug 19, 2004
"royo" wrote in gui.ntli.net:

Please, please why does it take so long to resize images

From how large to how large?
MR
Mike Russell
Aug 19, 2004
royo wrote:
I’m really getting exasperated with this. I have Windows 98 SE, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB HD – I free resources with GoodMem and set Elements to 80% memory. Please, please why does it take so long to resize images from my Scanwit scanner and even longer to print – that is if they do print without memory errors. Please help a pathetic beginner. Thanks
Rod

Rod,

The most likely cause of this sluggishness is that you are scanning at too high a resolution. This seems particularly likely because you mention "resizing" the image, which makes me think you may be scanning with software interpolation, a marketing driven feature that I do not recommend using.

Even without interpolation, scanners are capable of generating very large images. If you are scanning a large image – say an 8×10 – at 1200 or more pixels per inch, back off to 600 or even 300.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
V
Voivod
Aug 19, 2004
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:53:07 GMT, "Mike Russell" scribbled:

royo wrote:
I’m really getting exasperated with this. I have Windows 98 SE, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB HD – I free resources with GoodMem and set Elements to 80% memory. Please, please why does it take so long to resize images from my Scanwit scanner and even longer to print – that is if they do print without memory errors. Please help a pathetic beginner. Thanks
Rod

Rod,

The most likely cause of this sluggishness is that you are scanning at too high a resolution. This seems particularly likely because you mention "resizing" the image, which makes me think you may be scanning with software interpolation, a marketing driven feature that I do not recommend using.
Even without interpolation, scanners are capable of generating very large images. If you are scanning a large image – say an 8×10 – at 1200 or more pixels per inch, back off to 600 or even 300.

His using a memory manager under 98SE isn’t helping him either.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections