• G5 with 4GB RAM, only use 1.7GB for PS8 (CS)?

DC
Posted By
dimitri_c
May 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello –

We bought 6 new G5 with 4GB of RAM, we bought "so much" RAM especially for PSD, but I see in the preference (of PSD) that it only accept (manage) ±1.7GB… I mean, it seems to be a limit.

Why? Thank you…

– Dimitri

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 26, 2004
Because Photoshop can only use 2Gb of ram, but the memory will be useful for other programs…

Everyone is waiting for a 64 bit os and a 64bit version of Photoshop to use more than 2Gigs of Ram. Not for tomorrow, as the engineers need to have a stable version of the OS before they can start developping "Photoshop64"
DC
dimitri_c
May 26, 2004
Merci Pierre…
NP
Navarro_Parker
May 26, 2004
The OS isn’t stable?? That must be why my G5 has never crashed ONCE in four months!
R
Ram
May 26, 2004
Navarro,

Your OS in not 64-bit; that’s why it’s stable. 🙂

Though the G5 itself is 64-bit capable, no Operating System is yet 64-bit, either in the world of Macs or that of PCs. I’m sure Pierre was referring to experimental, unreleased 64-bit operating systems

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections