Putting thin black lines round a picture?

E
Posted By
Eatmorepies
Jul 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

I want to put a thin black line around a photograph – and can’t find how to in the help files or my book. I expected the command ‘borders’ to do the trick, but no.

So; where do I look in help for a suitable command?

Thanks

John

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RG
Roy G
Jul 22, 2006
"Eatmorepies" wrote in message
Hello

I want to put a thin black line around a photograph – and can’t find how to in the help files or my book. I expected the command ‘borders’ to do the trick, but no.

Thanks

John
Hi.

There are, as usual with PS, a lot of ways. I usually just use Canvas Size – Relative – and add .03 inch of whatever colour.

Roy G
E
Eatmorepies
Jul 22, 2006
Hi.

There are, as usual with PS, a lot of ways. I usually just use Canvas Size – Relative – and add .03 inch of whatever colour.

Roy G

Thanks for that.

John
T
Tacit
Jul 22, 2006
In article ,
"Eatmorepies" wrote:

The command "border" is under the "select" menu. Every command under the "select" menu changes a selection but makes no change at all to an image; the "select" menu only works on selections.

The easiest way is to select the image and then use the Edit->Stroke command. The advantage this has over the Canvas Size command is that it does not change the size of the image.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
CW
C Wright
Jul 22, 2006
On 7/22/06 6:57 AM, in article Soowg.46330$,
"Roy G" wrote:

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message
Hello

Thanks

John
Hi.

Roy G
Another very simple way: Make sure that your foreground color is set to black. Then Select / All, then Edit / Stroke. In the stroke dialog set your line to the number pixels wide that you want the line to be. Chuck
L
lanranger
Jul 22, 2006
I would recommend using "Layer > Layer Style > Stroke" in place of "Edit > Stroke". It usually provides the same effect with the advantage that it’s non-destructive edit and can be adjusted or removed later. It can also be easily copied to other layers/images.

The only disadvantage is layer styles affect the entire layer, but for the example you quoted it should work perfectly.
L
lanranger
Jul 22, 2006
I forgot one thing. If your layer fills the entire canvas you’ll need to make sure to change the stroke option to "Inside" otherwise it will appear off the canvas. You probably want to do that regardless because it ensures you get nice crisp edges–"Outside" stroke on a rectangle will give you rounded corners.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections