C
Posted By
captions
May 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to create a caption when saving a jpeg in Photoshop? The intent is to display this jpeg in a web page, so that its caption can be extracted by another program like PHP and displayed with the image.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

May 17, 2006
wrote in message
Is there a way to create a caption when saving a jpeg in Photoshop? The intent is to display this jpeg in a web page, so that its caption can be extracted by another program like PHP and displayed with the image.

Keep it simple by not requiring that the file be opened with a server-side application to read it’s EXIF data (if you choose to retain that data in PS).

You can add a banner along the bottom of your image which contains the title. This keeps everything simple – no serverside or client processing necessary. Or just add the titles when you create the web pages.

But I suspect you want something more complex. What’s the whole story?

There are other alternatives which require some serious cooperation with your server folks. We can discuss that if they work for you or the person who holds the purse-strings. Server-side solutions range from simple file naming conventions, simple indexed data files, peeking at the EXIF data (just once to build the data!), and up to some spendy data-driven apps.
C
captions
May 17, 2006
2 wrote:
wrote in message

Keep it simple by not requiring that the file be opened with a server-side application to read it’s EXIF data (if you choose to retain that data in PS).

You can add a banner along the bottom of your image which contains the title. This keeps everything simple – no serverside or client processing necessary. Or just add the titles when you create the web pages.
There are other alternatives which require some serious cooperation with your server folks. We can discuss that if they work for you or the person who holds the purse-strings. Server-side solutions range from simple file naming conventions, simple indexed data files, peeking at the EXIF data (just once to build the data!), and up to some spendy data-driven apps.

You are correct that my question is part of "something more complex".

I want to build a personal web site with photo galleries, but I’m rather particular about how the image’s thumbnails are ordered, how they interact with their enlargements, and how all the navigation will work between them. On top of this, I want the code to be flexible to allow easy re-ordering, adding/deleting the images. Basically I’m trying to solve the problems (or dislikes) I found in others’ sites. I started out thinking that this can be done with html/css hand coding (which I know a little) and without any server side programming. But when I consulted a web design "expert", I was told to do what I want will require something like PHP (which I know nothing) on the server side. Then I think if I go that route, why not figure out if captions can be kept with the jpegs for PHP to extract them as well. Hence the question.

Does a jpeg has EXIF data associated with it? If yes, can a caption be part of that data? How?

Thanks.
MR
Mike Russell
May 17, 2006
wrote in message
2 wrote:
wrote in message
Is there a way to create a caption when saving a jpeg in Photoshop? The intent is to display this jpeg in a web page, so that its caption can be
extracted by another program like PHP and displayed with the image.

Keep it simple by not requiring that the file be opened with a server-side
application to read it’s EXIF data (if you choose to retain that data in PS).

I want to build a personal web site with photo galleries, but I’m rather particular about how the image’s thumbnails are ordered, how they interact with their enlargements, and how all the navigation will work between them. On top of this, I want the code to be flexible to allow easy re-ordering, adding/deleting the images. Basically I’m trying to solve the problems (or dislikes) I found in others’ sites. I started out thinking that this can be done with html/css hand coding (which I know a little) and without any server side programming. But when I consulted a web design "expert", I was told to do what I want will require something like PHP (which I know nothing) on the server side. Then I think if I go that route, why not figure out if captions can be kept with the jpegs for PHP to extract them as well. Hence the question.

Does a jpeg has EXIF data associated with it? If yes, can a caption be part of that data? How?

Php probably does offer the most flexibility, and there is a large body of existing work. Do a survey of the php based gallery pages out there. The one I use for curvemeister is coppermine, which does offer some ability to display the EXIF data using a variety of themes, and the ability to sort the order of images in various ways. There are several of these packages out there. Curvemeister’s gallery uses coppermine:
http://www.curvemeister.com/coppermine/

If you decide to roll your own and modify an existing php gallery package, you’ll need to take up the considerable task of writing software. As a software person, I encourage people to do this, but this may be a barrier with no previous experience.

Another alternative is a free utility called JAlbum, which generates fixed HTML which you then typically upload to the server. There are several templates available. I recall that at least one of them is designed for selling images.
http://jalbum.net/

A final method would be to set up your web page using Dreamweaver or another html editing program. This gives you lots of flexibility, at least regarding the appearance of the images, without the need to learn programming. There is the added requirement that you add your new images manually and upload them to the server, and JAlbum creates a static web page, with no options for sorting dynamically, though you can re-create the web page sorted any way that you want.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
C
captions
May 18, 2006
Mike Russell wrote:
wrote in message
2 wrote:
wrote in message
Is there a way to create a caption when saving a jpeg in Photoshop? The intent is to display this jpeg in a web page, so that its caption can be
extracted by another program like PHP and displayed with the image.

Keep it simple by not requiring that the file be opened with a server-side
application to read it’s EXIF data (if you choose to retain that data in PS).

Php probably does offer the most flexibility, and there is a large body of existing work. Do a survey of the php based gallery pages out there. The one I use for curvemeister is coppermine, which does offer some ability to display the EXIF data using a variety of themes, and the ability to sort the order of images in various ways. There are several of these packages out there. Curvemeister’s gallery uses coppermine:
http://www.curvemeister.com/coppermine/

If you decide to roll your own and modify an existing php gallery package, you’ll need to take up the considerable task of writing software. As a software person, I encourage people to do this, but this may be a barrier with no previous experience.

Another alternative is a free utility called JAlbum, which generates fixed HTML which you then typically upload to the server. There are several templates available. I recall that at least one of them is designed for selling images.
http://jalbum.net/

A final method would be to set up your web page using Dreamweaver or another html editing program. This gives you lots of flexibility, at least regarding the appearance of the images, without the need to learn programming. There is the added requirement that you add your new images manually and upload them to the server, and JAlbum creates a static web page, with no options for sorting dynamically, though you can re-create the web page sorted any way that you want.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t intend to code PHP myself, but will find someone who can. Since the candidate may not know much about EXIF, I’m trying to figure out whether my request is doable or reasonable. So here are my questions again:

Do all jpegs support EXIF?

How do I enter a caption into EXIF?

Or, where can I find out more about EXIF?
MR
Mike Russell
May 18, 2006
wrote in message ….
[re exif support via php]

Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t intend to code PHP myself, but will find someone who can. Since the candidate may not know much about EXIF, I’m trying to figure out whether my request is doable or reasonable. So here are my questions again:

Do all jpegs support EXIF?

Jpegs can potentially contain exif data. The data needs to be added either during image creation, or afterward.

How do I enter a caption into EXIF?

A number of ways – there are free utilities, such as exifedit that will allow you to add exif data to an existing image.

Or, where can I find out more about EXIF?

From a PHP standpoint, here’s a good place to start:
http://us2.php.net/exif

Mike Russell
www.mike.russell-home.net

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections