BN
Posted By
bob_napack
Feb 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Windows CS, is there any way to completely shut down the Pixel Aspect Ratio commands so that they do not interfere with opening an image. Large format b&w scans from an Oce 9600 are resizing disproportionately when opening in CS. I understand this is only for preview, but it is important that the preview on these scans is true. You can change it back to proper size by going to Image\Pixel Aspect Ratio\ Square to bring it back to 1:1, but it adds another step and since we have a lot of users, I forsee problems. I deleted all of the other video aspect ratios thinking it would leave just square, but it still warped the image upon opening.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 20, 2004
There is no way to completely shut it down.

And it sounds like the scanner software is using a FAX encoding in a TIFF which is normally 2:1 aspect ratio. If so, the software is encoding the TIFF file incorrectly and Photoshop is attempting to display the image correctly according to what is in the TIFF file.
BN
bob_napack
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks, Chris. We’ll look at the scanner software for the FAX 2:1 or any other ratio encoding. I appreciate your prompt reply.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
Chris:

Is the following correct?:

Photoshop cannot display non-square pixels.

When non-square pixels are imported, you can either ignore their non-squareness and open the same number of rows and columns that are in the file (therefore distorting the image compared to its native app), OR you can correct the non-squareness, in effect resampling in one dimension or the other (therefore maintaining the aspect ratio of the entire picture, but now using square pixels).
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 20, 2004
No, Photoshop CS displays non-square pixels (which are resampled for display).

We don’t change the image contents.

And we try to compensate for the non-squareness in some of the tools and commands.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 20, 2004
OK, so this is new to CS, yes?

And it allows the opening and editing of non-square pixel files, viewing the images in the same aspect ratio as they appear in their native environment, while maintaining the non-square pixels so that once the file returns from whence it came it will be the same aspect ratio.

So what is the preference that guides Photoshop in regard to this (I don’t have CS) and what are the implications of setting the preference one way or another?

PS: When you have a non-square pixel file open and go into image size, does the dialog provide 2 fields for resolution (one for Height and one for Width)?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections