MR
Posted By
Mark_Rehmar
Feb 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In trying to explain what a histogram was to a friend new to digital imaging, I opened a new document in PS CS and drew a black to white linear gradient from top to bottom, expecting to see a flat horizontal histogram.

However, the histogram is U shaped, implying that the PS linear gradient actually emphasizes the starting and ending colors.

Does anyone understand why photoshop does this to a linear gradient? Indeed, the gradient appears linear to me, so is this some compensation for the way we perceive such a variation. Very curious.

Note that I think this also would have some important implications for using linear gradients to tranparencies, or linear gradients in layer masks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JS
John_Slate
Feb 19, 2004
I have always believed, as you suggest, that the slightly more analog tone distribution at the ends is meant to produce a more natural look, perhaps to account for the more analog nature of human vision.

You CAN however make the gradient linear by setting smoothness to zero.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 19, 2004
Luminosity is not linear.
MR
Mark_Rehmar
Feb 19, 2004
John,

Never thought of smoothness – good idea. It’s interesting, as you note, that if you do set the smoothness to zero, while the histogram is now flat, the gradient looks pretty dull.

Jason,

As I understand, luminosity is logrithmic. Thus the reason to try to get exposures of images of limited luminosity near the right side of the histogram. If the histogram had been a logrithmic curve to the right I could have made sense of that. But the U shape seems indeed to be real, and a result of the smoothness setting.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 19, 2004
logarithmic… that’s what I meant to say, not analog.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections