FH
Posted By
Forest_Henderson
May 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I create an ellipse with the shape tool and try to apply a gradient just to this object I get the message "Could not use the gradient tool because the content of the layer is not directly editable". The layer that I am using is not the background layer. Is this one of those vector versus raster graphics type of problems?? How do I do this?
Thanks,

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 8, 2004
Hello!
You are trying to paint on a Vector Shape Layer. This is not possible. (see your help files for the differences between rater and vector) 3 solutions:
1) layer>rasterize your layer, then apply gradient
2) create a new layer, place the gradient and make a layer clipping group (ctrl+G) or ALT+click the line between those two layers in the layers palette
3) Layer>Change Layer Content>Gradient
T
TempusMn
May 8, 2004
If you’re using CS there are options on the upper right, next to your selected shape for "Shape layers", "Paths" or "fill pixels". Make sure that you have "fill pixels" selected when you make your shape. I think that’s probably the problem.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 8, 2004
Yes, indeed tempus, I posted some cures but not the vaccine 😀
P
Phosphor
May 8, 2004
Why not just apply a Gradient Overlay Layer Style to that elliptical Shape Layer?

It’ll remain editable that way!
FH
Forest_Henderson
May 9, 2004
Got it! Thanks much.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections