T
Posted By
THV1
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was given a blurred photo and asked to sharpen. Its was taken with a digital camera that apparently moved. The resolution unfortunately is only 72 however its 28"X 22" so reducing (to 8 X 10) the size and increasing the resolution is possible after the blur has been corrected. It will be printed if it can be fixed enough. Anyone have a good suggestion for how to correct moderate blur? I have PS7.0.1.

Thanks

Tom

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 13, 2004
A blurred picure lacks detail. hat detail is never coming back. Sharpening MAY redure the blurring, but the detail obscured is never coming back. Look into playing with the Noise->Medial filer, too.

And the 72 ppi resolution of the original images has absolutely no importance.
GA
George_Austin
Feb 14, 2004
Specifying resolution without size tells you nothing.

Specifying size without resolution tells you nothing.

Specifying resolution AND size tells you everything you need to know.
SG
shecky_greene
Feb 14, 2004
Specifying resolution AND size tells you everything you need to know.

Which the original poster did; yes?
BO
Burton_Ogden
Feb 14, 2004
Tom,

It is commonly believed that once a photo is out of focus, you can’t process it back into focus. That isn’t strictly true. To a certain extent you can reverse the process by which the de-focusing or motion-blur occurred. The mathematical process is called deconvolution, and one application that uses it is Focus Magic.

I have Focus Magic and use it a lot, as an alternative to Photoshop’s Unsharp Mask, because Focus Magic sharpens the entire image and not just the edges. Also, most of my images aren’t in absolutely perfect focus, or have a little bit of motion blur, and they all benefit from just a touch of Focus Magic. I am looking forward to getting the new improved version 3 of Focus Magic when it comes out next week. For a comparison of the present version of Focus Magic and the Unsharp Mask, see:

<http://www.focusmagic.com/>

For some examples of focusing an image with Focus Magic, see:

<http://www.focusmagic.com/examplefocusing.htm>

Focus Magic is also great for despeckling, removing halftones, etc. I can’t wait to see how the new version performs. Its improved motion blur capability might be directly applicable to your problem image.

I suggest you download the free trial edition and give it a try on your image. And you might want to retry the new version after it is released.

— Burton — (not associated with Focus Magic or Acclaim Software)
GA
George_Austin
Feb 15, 2004
Shecky

"…{Specifying resolution AND size tells you everything you need to know}…Which the original poster did; yes?"

The original poster’s lament "The resolution unfortunately is only 72" prompted my note. There is nothing fortunate or unfortunate about resolution per se. In fact, it is meaningless. Subsequently adding the size does not undo the evident misunderstanding.

George
SG
shecky_greene
Feb 15, 2004
There is nothing fortunate or unfortunate about resolution per se.

Yes, and we know how heated these resolution "discussions" can get and I certainly don’t won’t to incite another one.

🙂

I was just saying that the poster did specify both elements. Given those two elements we can figure out what various the inches/ppi would become.
GA
George_Austin
Feb 15, 2004
Shecky

I agree with you on both counts.

My point is that the initial posting’s wording betrayed the fact that the poster was suffering from the same misconception that has plagued thousands before. I suppose it’s a vain dream to think that anything we might post here will prevent thousands more from falling into the same rut in the future but, now and then, it doesn’t hurt to throw up a flare. 🙂

George
T
THV1
Feb 15, 2004
Thank you everyone for the posting and Burton, really appreciate the info on focus magic. The examples are fantastic and it sounds from your posting that its as good as it claims to be. For $45 its a must have.

No "misconception". Typically on the forum, someone will ask the question of end product (web, print) as well as size/resolution. Thought I would give it up front.

I was able to get one of the photos "acceptable"–especially since it will be placed behind glass the blur will appear minimal. I’ll try the next one after I get Focus Magic.

Thanks again.

Tom

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections