CL
Posted By
Cully_Long
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I processing a very large collection of scans for archival purposes. These scans are 24"x36" typically, and had been sent out to be scanned by another company. The files that they returned are bitmaps saved in .tiff format. Some of the files need a bit of TLC before they can be properly archived, such as a bump in their levels or running it through the "Adjust Brightness/Contrast" filter. The problem is that I can open the files, convert them to Grayscale, and attempt to process them. The preview looks fine, but when I click "OK" it simply reverts to the way that it was before. It doesn’t "take." I am using Photoshop 6, on a PC. When I check the Properties of the file it lists the file type as "Tiff G4" which leads me to suspect that the scans were performed on a Mac. Am I missing a step somewhere? Are the platforms incompatible in some way? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cully

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JasonSmith
Feb 5, 2004
View at 100%.

the preview you are seeing is misleading.

basically it’s impossible for any color adjustments on 1-bit files, even if they’ve been converted back to 8-bit greyscale. You’ll have to apply a slight G-blur – say .2 radius.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections