J
Posted By
junk
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am making a video that shows how to tie climbing knots. The video needs animations of knot tying. The rope and knots need to look reasonably realistic. I am trying to figure out the best tools to use.

One approach I tried was to take a photo of a loosely tied knot, then using Photoshop, removed a little of the rope, duplicated the layer, removed a little more of the rope, etc. (I pasted in a little piece of rope when I deleted a rope that crossed over another rope.) I then imported this into Adobe Premiere and played the layers as a sequence. It looked great as the rope snaked its way into a knot. However, this approach will not work if I need to MOVE the rope (i.e., this approach shows the rope appear along a preset path, but I can’t move the rope or have a loop travel a path).

I’m looking for suggestions… I haven’t used Bryce, but I’ve seen some knots (usually Celtic, which isn’t what I’m doing) made with Bryce. I am a newbie when it comes to paths in PS, but I’ve thought that I might repeatedly stroke and move a path…

Ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Charley
Feb 22, 2004
Why not make a video of the process and then convert it into an Mpeg? Much easier than trying to work from still photos.

Charley

"Steve" wrote in message
I am making a video that shows how to tie climbing knots. The video needs animations of knot tying. The rope and knots need to look reasonably realistic. I am trying to figure out the best tools to use.

One approach I tried was to take a photo of a loosely tied knot, then using Photoshop, removed a little of the rope, duplicated the layer, removed a little more of the rope, etc. (I pasted in a little piece of rope when I deleted a rope that crossed over another rope.) I then imported this into Adobe Premiere and played the layers as a sequence. It looked great as the rope snaked its way into a knot. However, this approach will not work if I need to MOVE the rope (i.e., this approach shows the rope appear along a preset path, but I can’t move the rope or have a loop travel a path).

I’m looking for suggestions… I haven’t used Bryce, but I’ve seen some knots (usually Celtic, which isn’t what I’m doing) made with Bryce. I am a newbie when it comes to paths in PS, but I’ve thought that I might repeatedly stroke and move a path…

Ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
S
Stephan
Feb 22, 2004
"Charley" wrote in message
Why not make a video of the process and then convert it into an Mpeg? Much easier than trying to work from still photos.
Or take several pictures and create a Gif

Stephan
J
junk
Feb 23, 2004
I don’t take a video, because I don’t want any hands in the picture. I want the knot to "tie itself."

Steve

"Charley" …

Charley

"Steve" wrote in message

Ideas?

Thanks,

Steve
J
junk
Feb 23, 2004
I can’t take several photos (i.e., claymation style), because sections of the rope that I don’t wan to move will move between pictures and appear very jurky. It isn’t like clay where i can just tweak one spot without moving other stuff.

I might be able to do an animated GIF, although the one I did with Premiere had almost 100 different pictures… I’ve never tried creating a GIF with that many frames. In any case, my bigger problem is creating the images…

Thanks for thinking…

Steve

"Stephan" …
Or take several pictures and create a Gif

Stephan
R
RTM
Feb 23, 2004
Take a short piece of rope (just long enough for what you need) and insert a thin wire down the middle. Just thick enough that the rope will stay in position when you bend it. Then go with the stop-frame technique (bend, photo, bend, photo).

Ron.

Steve wrote in message
I can’t take several photos (i.e., claymation style), because sections of the rope that I don’t wan to move will move between pictures and appear very jurky. It isn’t like clay where i can just tweak one spot without moving other stuff.

I might be able to do an animated GIF, although the one I did with Premiere had almost 100 different pictures… I’ve never tried creating a GIF with that many frames. In any case, my bigger problem is creating the images…

Thanks for thinking…

Steve
S
Stephan
Feb 23, 2004
"Steve" wrote in message

What about mounting adhesive? Or pins?

Stephan
P
Pepe
Feb 25, 2004
Take a look at Macromedia Flash.
It’s easy and userfrendly to make
animation like the way you want.

Pepe
"Steve" skrev i meddelandet
I don’t take a video, because I don’t want any hands in the picture. I want the knot to "tie itself."

Steve

news:<xv6_b.26259$%>…

Charley

"Steve" wrote in message

Ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

…………………………………………………… ….. Posted via TITANnews – Uncensored Newsgroups Access
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
-=Every Newsgroup – Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
L
larrybud2002
Feb 25, 2004
(Steve) wrote in message news:…

You don’t state how you want this animation to be delivered to the consumer. Web based, on CD/DVD, on local network?? That may influence what products you use to create this.

I like the Flash idea. Your needs are exactly what flash should be used for, not for just fancy (read: annoying) web pages.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections