For those considering buying Photoshop or related products.

BV
Posted By
Branko Vukelic
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Give the GIMP a test drive. It is an 8Mb download from this location:

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

It has many pro features for the WWW and the only dowside is probably the inability to save GIFs in countries whre LZW is still covered by patents. (I don’t know the details.) It works only in RGB and Greyscale color modes (no CMYK support at the moment).

It’s, of course, free, and new releases are coming every now and then, so you don’t have to wait years for the new release just to be disappointed by the new "features". 😉

For WWW, you need the GIMP as well as another freeware app for image compression (XnView handles tihngs nicely).

This is about the cheapest solution (price being the cost of on-line time) for pro WWW work, AFAIK.

Mind you, it’s not faster than Photoshop and it doesn’t have as many features. I think it’s getting better all the time, tho. As far as I can tell, it’s already twice as fast as some previous versions that I tested on my PC. It’s probably much, much faster on Linux.

Branko Vukelic ()

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

G
Glenn
Jan 22, 2004
GIMP is good, so is PaintShopPro and FireWorks, but this is a PhotoShop group.

"Branko Vukelic" wrote in message

It has many pro features for the WWW and the only dowside is probably the inability to save GIFs in countries whre LZW is still covered by patents. (I don’t know the details.) It works only in RGB and Greyscale color modes (no CMYK support at the moment).

It’s, of course, free, and new releases are coming every now and then, so you don’t have to wait years for the new release just to be disappointed
by
the new "features". 😉

For WWW, you need the GIMP as well as another freeware app for image compression (XnView handles tihngs nicely).

This is about the cheapest solution (price being the cost of on-line time) for pro WWW work, AFAIK.

Mind you, it’s not faster than Photoshop and it doesn’t have as many features. I think it’s getting better all the time, tho. As far as I can tell, it’s already twice as fast as some previous versions that I tested
on
my PC. It’s probably much, much faster on Linux.

Branko Vukelic ()
E
edjh
Jan 22, 2004
Branko Vukelic wrote:

It’s, of course, free, and new releases are coming every now and then, so you don’t have to wait years for the new release just to be disappointed by the new "features". 😉

Mind you, it’s not faster than Photoshop and it doesn’t have as many features. I think it’s getting better all the time, tho. As far as I can tell, it’s already twice as fast as some previous versions that I tested on my PC. It’s probably much, much faster on Linux.
Another one with lots of features is Photoline 32. The Layers is a bit odd but it is a very powerful piece of software and handles CMYK unlike Gimp. Some decent vector stuff in it as well. 30 days free then cheap to buy. http://www.pl32.com/

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
BV
Branko Vukelic
Jan 22, 2004
Glenn wrote:

GIMP is good, so is PaintShopPro and FireWorks, but this is a PhotoShop group.

Sorry. I just figured, there might be people who only wanted to know what options they have.

It’s, of course, free, and new releases are coming every now and then, so you don’t have to wait years for the new release just to be disappointed
by
the new "features". 😉

Mind you, it’s not faster than Photoshop and it doesn’t have as many features. I think it’s getting better all the time, tho. As far as I can tell, it’s already twice as fast as some previous versions that I tested
on
my PC. It’s probably much, much faster on Linux.

Branko Vukelic ()

Branko Vukelic ()
N
nospam
Jan 23, 2004
Corel Photopaint is awesome. In many ways has better features for professional work, IMO. I’ve seen the Coreldraw 9 Suite for sale as an OEM disk for $60.00. I do about 1,000.00 in billable work daily with this legendary version. This includes coreltrace and Coreldraw as well.

JD
H
Hecate
Jan 23, 2004
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:28:40 +0100, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

The main problem with the Gimp is it’s absolutely crap printing options. It’s fine for amateurs but useless for professionals, in terms of printing.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
BV
Branko Vukelic
Jan 23, 2004
Hecate wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:28:40 +0100, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

The main problem with the Gimp is it’s absolutely crap printing options. It’s fine for amateurs but useless for professionals, in terms of printing.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

It’s definitely not for pro work. Never was. I just hope it gets better. Plus they have that cute splash screen. I start it from time to time just to enjoy the view. :)))

Anyway, for amateur work, and perhaps for training purposes, the GIMP seems to have the best quality/price ratio.

The interface is still a bit awkward, but I think it’s neat that all the functions are packed into the right-click pop-up menu. I wish PS had this. You know, when you work with all the palletes and menus and all turned off, it would be nice to be able to access as many features through a simple right-click.

Branko Vukelic ()
H
Hecate
Jan 24, 2004
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:19:58 -0700, "Jeff H." wrote:

Corel Photopaint is awesome. In many ways has better features for professional work, IMO. I’ve seen the Coreldraw 9 Suite for sale as an OEM disk for $60.00. I do about 1,000.00 in billable work daily with this legendary version. This includes coreltrace and Coreldraw as well.
JD
I use Draw 11 and PhotoPaint is my image viewer. Yes, it is good, but it isn’t Photoshop. And, like the Gimp, it’s major weakness is printing.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Jan 24, 2004
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:36:52 +0100, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

The interface is still a bit awkward, but I think it’s neat that all the functions are packed into the right-click pop-up menu. I wish PS had this. You know, when you work with all the palletes and menus and all turned off, it would be nice to be able to access as many features through a simple right-click.

I have the palettes on my second monitor and only the PS workspace on my main monitor, so I don’t really have that problem. But, yes, I agree that right click menus would be useful.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
BV
Branko Vukelic
Jan 24, 2004
Hecate wrote:

I have the palettes on my second monitor and only the PS workspace on my main monitor, so I don’t really have that problem. But, yes, I agree that right click menus would be useful.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

I keep wondering, how do you hook up two monitors to a single graphic card? Do you need a special GC to do that? I guess you do, huh?

Branko Vukelic ()
MD
Mike Davis
Jan 24, 2004
I have no experience with Matrox, but any of the upper end ATI or nVidia cards will come with a "dual head" for two monitors.
M
Mike
Jan 24, 2004
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:53:47 +0000, Hecate wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:19:58 -0700, "Jeff H." wrote:
JD
I use Draw 11 and PhotoPaint is my image viewer. Yes, it is good, but it isn’t Photoshop. And, like the Gimp, it’s major weakness is printing.

Qimage is affordable and is much better for print jobs than Photoshop itself so, unless I’m missing something, it should suffice for Gimp projects. I use it myself rather than the Photoshop print functions.
BV
Branko Vukelic
Jan 24, 2004
mdavis wrote:

I have no experience with Matrox, but any of the upper end ATI or nVidia cards will come with a "dual head" for two monitors.

Thanks.

Branko Vukelic ()
H
Hecate
Jan 25, 2004
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:52:59 +0100, "Branko Vukelic" wrote:

mdavis wrote:

Thanks.

Matrox G550 and 450 and their newer ones will do that too. And if you have 2 CRT monitors, the MAtrox cards come with an adapter to allow connection. I don’t know if the ATi cards do or whether you have to buy it separately.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
MD
Mike Davis
Jan 25, 2004
I believe the ATI cards have an adapter for DVI/CRT connections. My nVidia FX5900U came with one.
U
ued
Feb 4, 2004
Matrox has a VC supporting four monitors !
www.matrox.com

ued

Hecate wrote:

The interface is still a bit awkward, but I think it’s neat that all
the
functions are packed into the right-click pop-up menu. I wish PS had this. You know, when you work with all the palletes and menus and all turned off, it would be nice to be able to access as many features through a simple right-click.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

I keep wondering, how do you hook up two monitors to a single graphic
card?
Do you need a special GC to do that? I guess you do, huh?

Branko Vukelic ()

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections