RM
Posted By
Roseanne_Minasian
Oct 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m interested in installing a second monitor. I haven’t a clue on how to do it. There was a topic about a second monitor a few days ago but no information was given on how you add it to your system. Video cards seemed to be a major point in the discussion. Can I get some information on how to do it or a site or manual that can give me some direction on such an installation. Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PP
Peace_Pipe
Oct 15, 2003
You need a video card with dual output. There are many diferent makes and models, you only need to spend around £100. Nvidia would be my choice.
CW
Colin_Walls
Oct 15, 2003
Since most PCs seem to have video on the mother-board, can’t you simply add an additional video card?
RL
Robert_Levine
Oct 15, 2003
Most PCs DON’T have video on the motherboard. And those that do generally have that video automatically disabled when installing a video card.

You don’t need a dual head video card. You can have two cards. Generally, the AGP card will be your primary video and a low cost card can be your secondary. That said, I do have a dual head Matrox card. I highly recommend Matrox because of their consistent efforts to keep drivers updated.

Bob
CW
Colin_Walls
Oct 15, 2003
Good input Robert. Thanks.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 15, 2003
Generally, the AGP card will be your primary video and a low cost card can be your secondary.

and it’s always good to check the mobo manual to see if there’s a bios setting for this! (mine has one)
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 15, 2003
You can add additional cards to a system with onboard video provided the onboard video is a supported chipset. It has a lot to do with the manufacturer but I have seen several systems with onboard video where a low cost video card was used to add a second monitor.
C
CarBone
Oct 15, 2003
Save yourself the trouble of trying to configure two separate video cards and just buy a nVIDIA card that supports dual monitors. I recently purchased a PNY FX5200 for $100 US and it works great. Iwas going to buy a new 21" monitor but with two 17" monitors I have more than enough screen space for Photoshop.
I will never go back to a single monitor.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:00:31 -0700, wrote:

You can add additional cards to a system with onboard video provided the onboard video is a supported chipset. It has a lot to do with the manufacturer but I have seen several systems with onboard video where a low cost video card was used to add a second monitor.
F
Frogiswrong
Oct 16, 2003
We replaced a nvidia card with a ati card not long ago. The nvidia card wouldnt support a color profile for each monitor the ati card is better as it also comes with hydravision wich is a very good desktop/milti monitor manager.
Go for a ATI raidon card for sure.

wrote in message
I’m interested in installing a second monitor. I haven’t a clue on how to
do it. There was a topic about a second monitor a few days ago but no information was given on how you add it to your system. Video cards seemed to be a major point in the discussion. Can I get some information on how to do it or a site or manual that can give me some direction on such an installation. Thanks
RM
Roseanne_Minasian
Oct 18, 2003
Thankyou all for so much good information. I’m looking forward to putting it to good use. Roseanne
HD
hot_denim
Oct 18, 2003
Ive know the onboard video to be HAVE to be disabled via a Jumper on the motherboard. Maybe even the bios.

Else it remains active. With an external card taking precedence and being used as the #1 card.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 18, 2003
Ive know the onboard video to be HAVE to be disabled via a Jumper on the motherboard.

That’s true, but I haven’t seen that in a couple of years. Most newer systems (2-3) years old have something like that in bios, in any case you should read the mobo manual as I suggested above and do what’s appropriate for your specific system.
HD
hot_denim
Oct 18, 2003
Dave Milbut

I think my message sounded a bit diffrent to you; the ‘Have EVEN..’ part was mean to be seperate that the first part. I.E. I did NOT mean disableing on motherboard and ALSO BIOS. I meant either.

Yes My motherboard is not new. I think its 1997/1998’ish.
ET
Erik_Tomlinson
Oct 18, 2003
Most newer onboard video solutions use the AGP lines in the mainboard, and there is no current technology that allows more than one AGP video card in a system, period.

If your onboard video is PCI, it will 1. be crappy, but 2. work alongside an AGP card.

Generally, forget onboard video, and go with a single AGP card with dual monitor support, or an AGP card for primary and a PCI card for secondary.

If you already have onboard video that is "decent enough" you can get by by simply adding a PCI card for your secondary monitor. Just remember to specify in your BIOS to use the AGP card first (most bioses have a "Primary Video Adapter" setting, and you can set it to AGP or PCI. 99% of the time you should set it to AGP.)
HD
hot_denim
Oct 18, 2003
"1. If your onboard video is PCI, it will 1. be crappy, but 2. work alongside an AGP card. "

I was using a 1997/8 S3 Virge DX/DX2 4MB 2D only card. I used it to replace the crap SIS onboard video.

Ive seen some year 2000+ motherbaords with some good 3D cards onboard (now all cards are 3D). And more importantly, better than my S3 Virge which was for 2D Windows desktop programs….more than the programs (including Photoshop) could handle.

So I say onboard PCI Video today is excellent (I exclude the SIS chipsets…but even they must have progressed since my 1997 experience). And More than Photoshops/Windows 2D desktops requirements (not talking about directX ,video, games etc…all the heavy stuff..they will NEVER have enough power).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections