Posted By
BalkyNY
Sep 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

In the new version, text underlines seem to have been shifted to the bottom of the font decender. Is this an error or something done on purpose, and is there a way to fix/adjust it to sit just a bit below the font baseline as it did in older versions?

Text looks terrible with the underlines hanging down so low…

Any ideas why it is happening and how to fix it?
Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

W
wnor
Sep 8, 2004
I don’t do a lot of text in Photoshop but when I do want underlined text, I just use the line shape tool to draw a line where I want it. I have tried everything else in the character palette but nothing changes the position of the line.

"Balky" …
Hi

In the new version, text underlines seem to have been shifted to the bottom of the font decender. Is this an error or something done on purpose, and is there a way to fix/adjust it to sit just a bit below the font baseline as it did in older versions?

Thanks
B
BalkyNY
Sep 9, 2004
Well, i know that much… I tried to find the reason why the line in PS CS is positioned so much lower. No matter what I do changes it.

I understand ehat you said about line tool. I know the alternatives, I just want to know why text underline feature is not working the way it should.

"Wesley Norman" wrote in message
I don’t do a lot of text in Photoshop but when I do want underlined text, I just use the line shape tool to draw a line where I want it. I have tried everything else in the character palette but nothing changes the position of the line.

"Balky" wrote in message
news:<R4x%c.2266$>…
Hi

In the new version, text underlines seem to have been shifted to the
bottom
of the font decender. Is this an error or something done on purpose, and
is
there a way to fix/adjust it to sit just a bit below the font baseline
as it
did in older versions?

Thanks
J
jjs
Sep 9, 2004
"Balky" wrote in message
Well, i know that much… I tried to find the reason why the line in PS CS is positioned so much lower. No matter what I do changes it.
I understand ehat you said about line tool. I know the alternatives, I just
want to know why text underline feature is not working the way it should.

"Wesley Norman" wrote in message

"Balky" wrote in message
news:<R4x%c.2266$>…
Hi

In the new version, text underlines seem to have been shifted to the
bottom
of the font decender. Is this an error or something done on purpose, and
is
there a way to fix/adjust it to sit just a bit below the font baseline
as it
did in older versions?

Thanks

J
jjs
Sep 9, 2004
"Balky" wrote in message

want to know why text underline feature is not working the way it should.

Say "bug". It puts the underline outside the rationalized area of the deepest descender while other programs, for example Word, actually strike through the descenders.
B
BalkyNY
Sep 9, 2004
THANKS YOU>
That’s what I think it is even though some people on Adobe forum tried to justify that behavior. Even PS 7 underlines are a correct, I don’t know what to do with it. Wish Adobe would fix it soon

"jjs" wrote in message
"Balky" wrote in message

want to know why text underline feature is not working the way it
should.
Say "bug". It puts the underline outside the rationalized area of the deepest descender while other programs, for example Word, actually strike through the descenders.

S
Stuart
Sep 13, 2004
Balky wrote:
THANKS YOU>
That’s what I think it is even though some people on Adobe forum tried to justify that behavior. Even PS 7 underlines are a correct, I don’t know what to do with it. Wish Adobe would fix it soon

Try using a program designed to handle text properly, Photoshop is not it.

Stuart
C
Clyde
Sep 14, 2004
Stuart wrote:
Balky wrote:

THANKS YOU>

Adobe, being experts in typography, would NEVER underline text. As any knowledgeable typographer knows, underlining is an editor’s mark meaning that this text should be italicized. Underlining text also greatly reduces it’s readability. In short, it just should NOT be done.

Therefore, I’m sure the best solution would be to learn proper typography. Thank Adobe for the lesson.

Clyde

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections