W
Posted By
winnie
Sep 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to convert a number of jpg files (photos) into bmp files because they need to be used in a program that only accepts bmp. Is there a way to do that without increasing the size of the files ? (now the size goes from 12kb in jpg to 200 kB or something in bmp and the program only accepts a limited amount of kB’s)
I prefer working with Adobe Photoshop 5.5 but have Corel Photopaint 9 as well. Windows 2000.

Thank you in advance!

Winnie

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Peter
Sep 4, 2004
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:21:54 GMT, winnie wrote:

I need to convert a number of jpg files (photos) into bmp files because they need to be used in a program that only accepts bmp. Is there a way to do that without increasing the size of the files ? (now the size goes from 12kb in jpg to 200 kB or something in bmp and the program only accepts a limited amount of kB’s)
I prefer working with Adobe Photoshop 5.5 but have Corel Photopaint 9 as well. Windows 2000.

Thank you in advance!

Winnie

JPEG does a very good job of compressing photo files, and BMP will always be much larger. You can reduce the pain somewhat by using the run-length-encoding (RLE) option for BMP.

Depending on your image quality needs, you might squeak by your other program’s size limitations by some combination of:

1. Reducing the images’ pixel dimensions before conversion
2. Reducing the number of colors in the image

Hope this helps.

Peter

========================================================= Need to resize images for email attachments or web pages? Try JpegSizer at http://jpegsizer.tangotools.com
=========================================================
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Sep 4, 2004
Peter wrote:
JPEG does a very good job of compressing photo files, and BMP will always be much larger. You can reduce the pain somewhat by using the run-length-encoding (RLE) option for BMP.

With the type of images that you would normally compress with JPEG (continuous tone), RLE compression is useless and will probably increase the filesize.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
I
iehsmith
Sep 5, 2004
On 9/4/04 9:21 AM, winnie uttered:

Thank you in advance!

Winnie

Winnie,

You might try changing the mode to indexed colors, Perceptual, with or without dither depending on your images. I just tried it with a 117X120 Jpeg at 4,777 bytes and it rendered… not horribly and saved a 34,490 bytes. Hopefully you won’t be using dimension that large. Oh, RLE didn’t help.

inez
W
winnie
Sep 6, 2004
Thank you for your replies. I made note of them for future use, as a colleague already started editing the photos during the weekend and she reduced the file size by reducing the dimensions. The prints aren’t as good as the bigger size of course, but she put a lot of work in it and it’ll do for now.
It seems that a new version of the program (now on trial) will accept jpegs. 🙂

Winnie
B
bagal
Sep 6, 2004
hmmm – reducing the size of the images?

I wonder?

In some BMP editors this means throwing away data

For example a 2000 by 3000 pixel image loses quite a lot of pixels when it goes down to a 1000 by 1500 pixel image

Did the images print OK?

A curious Articus

"Winnie" wrote in message
Thank you for your replies. I made note of them for future use, as a colleague already started editing the photos during the weekend and she reduced the file size by reducing the dimensions. The prints aren’t as good
as the bigger size of course, but she put a lot of work in it and it’ll do for now.
It seems that a new version of the program (now on trial) will accept jpegs.
🙂

Winnie

T
tacitr
Sep 7, 2004
I need to convert a number of jpg files (photos) into bmp files because they need to be used in a program that only accepts bmp. Is there a way to do that without increasing the size of the files ?

No. JPEG files are compressed using what is called "lossy compression." In English, that means the files are made smaller by deliberately degrading the quality of the image in a way that is permanent and can never be recovered. BMP images are not degraded, and the file size is larger.

What program are you using? A program that is designed to work with graphics but can not handle images over a certain size is likely poorly designed, especially if it ALSO can’t handle JPEGs. In the world of digital images, a 200K image file is very, very small.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections