M
Posted By
MrsBeebleBrock
Dec 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi – I can’t seem to figure this out, although I’ve managed to achieve it in the past – just can’t seem to remember how.

How can I feather the edges of an image so that the transition from image to background (transparent) is smooth? Marquee selecting, inverting and deleting with even up to 80 px feather leaves the hard edges there, but just a bit fainter.

Grateful if someone can give me a quick vignette tip.

Cheers,
Jo

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JohnD
Dec 16, 2003
in article JqqDb.30358$, MrsBeebleBrock at
wrote on 12/15/03 2:18 PM:

Hi – I can’t seem to figure this out, although I’ve managed to achieve it in the past – just can’t seem to remember how.

How can I feather the edges of an image so that the transition from image to background (transparent) is smooth? Marquee selecting, inverting and deleting with even up to 80 px feather leaves the hard edges there, but just a bit fainter.

Cheers,
Jo

Found this one…
http://www.artistmike.com/Vignette/Vignette.html
J
jwm2
Dec 16, 2003
Jo,
Your on the right track. The amount of feathering is based on pixels. The bigger your file is the more pixels there are. On a 5Mb file I use a 200 feather to vignette. Keep in mind there are right and wrong ways to vignette aestheticly speaking. If it is a traditional type image that you want to deepen the corners such as a portrait; with the oval marquee set to 200 drag from corner to corner, inverse and fill with 55% black. Proper vignetting; images that are 50% density or darker should always have darker vignetting. If the image is 50% density or lighter question whether it needs vignetting or not. The reason, if you fill with white and the image contains say, creamy or gray whites, the vignetting will make the image look very muddy. In cases like this I will sometimes vignette with just the gausian blur. The example that was recommended to look at from the other poster is a very bad example of vignetting.
the gradiation is way to narrow. Proper vignetting should not call attention to itself. It’s pupouse is to constrain the eye (pleasingly) into the subject of the image.
John M.
Jo~ You might try selecting your edge, going into quickmask mode and while adjusting guassian blur watch to see how much feathering you get.~Dr.J.

"MrsBeebleBrock" wrote in message

Cheers,
Jo
MB
Mrs Beeble Brock
Dec 16, 2003
Hi, thanks to all for the excellent advice – I’ll give each method a try.

Cheers,
Jo

MrsBeebleBrock wrote:

Cheers,
Jo

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections