SP
Posted By
scott_pepper
Oct 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello new here but have a question, i have noticed a copy of Photoshop 7 for sale on ebay i contacted the seller they say they have reciepts but its an OEM version is it ok to buy OEM versions from others?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TK
Thomas_Knoll
Oct 13, 2003
People who sell pirate versions of Photoshop always falsely claim they are "OEM" versions in an attempt to explain to their customers why Adobe does not provide technical support or allow upgrades.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 13, 2003
does ps even ship as an oem version? must be some expensive hardware for them to ship a $600+ application for free with it!
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 13, 2003
it’s pirated. you’ll never be able to upgrade it. see your other thread.
KB
Kenneth_Bacon
Oct 13, 2003
A few months ago I purchased Adobe Photoshop 7 from a spam type promotion that kept appearing in my in box. The program installed and works OK except for "HELP" which always returns a message saying the page is unavailable. Checking with ADOBE, I was told that the serial number was incorrect and I was referred to this forum. The page with my disk which provided the serial number mentioned that it was an OEM version. From the previous comments, am I to infer I purchased a pirated copy? The product came from LES Distributors, 9811 W. Charleston, Suite 2-177, Las Vegas, NV 89117.

I’d never purchase software from an individual but this appeared to be a ligitimate business and the offer was being widely advertised for some period of time so it would have seemed easy for ADOBE to catch if not legitimate.

Comments?
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 13, 2003
am I to infer I purchased a pirated copy?

Yes.
C
Cheesefood
Oct 13, 2003
Kenneth,

That place is infamous for selling pirated software.

Watch out, they may have slipped a little spyware in it as well. Oh yeah, criminals now have your credit card info.
SP
scott_pepper
Oct 13, 2003
Thanks for replys guys ok is there anywhere in the UK / Europe that will sell older verisions of photoshop eg version 3, 4, 5 any idea of how much these may cost?
DW
DAN_WYKES
Oct 13, 2003
i’ll giv u some help here;s my email address. , it envolves downloading…
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 14, 2003
Scott

There really aren’t that many "older versions" of Photoshop available. You see, when a user upgrades to a new version, they do not have the right to sell the old ones. There is a single license number for both.

Thus, only if someone buys PS and later stops using it entirely will a legitimate used copy become available.
O
Ol__Whozit
Oct 14, 2003
"DAN WYKES – 04:09pm Oct 13, 2003 Pacific (#9 of 10)

i’ll giv u some help here;s my email address. , it envolves downloading… "

Now if THAT doesn’t look like an offer to download a version of PS, I’m Britney Spears!!!
CW
Colin_Walls
Oct 14, 2003
2 comments:

1) I have successfully purchased a shrink-wrapped, unused, legal "old" version of PS via eBay. Maybe I just got lucky.

2) I am 99.9% sure that there was an OEM version of full PS, but I think it was PS 6. It was offered with a Kodak camera a couple of years back. It was such a good deal that I thought of buying it, as it was "PS with a free camera" [in effect].
SP
scott_pepper
Oct 14, 2003
By any chance can i buy direct from adobe ???
E
E._Segen
Oct 14, 2003
Sure, just go to www.adobe.com

but it won’t be an OEM version since they wouldn’t be selling any hardware to attach it to.
SP
scott_pepper
Oct 14, 2003
mean will they have older versions cheaper?????

anyway if i was 2 buy from ebay can u guys at adobe show me what to look for to nake sure a seller is legit eg they have to sell the license aswell people have said to make sure they have box, license packaging etc ami right?
CW
Colin_Walls
Oct 14, 2003
If it’s in a sealed, shrink-wrapped box, along with manuals etc., you are on somewhat safer ground.

Also, on eBay, read the ratings by previous buyers. If they don’t look "clean", don’t buy.
CW
Colin_Walls
Oct 14, 2003
Scott:

I would buy from him, but observe what he says about registering. I don’t know if Adobe allow a "license transfer".
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 14, 2003
You can transfer licenses. See here: <http://www.adobe.com/support/salesdocs/23e6.htm>

This seller is in the UK, and will only post to the UK. The link I posted only mentions US and Canada, so I’m not sure what, if anything, is different for UK users.
SP
scott_pepper
Oct 14, 2003
am in uk yea the seller has a good profile youmay wonder why am asking all these questions its ebecause i dont agree with people selling pirated or illegal software and any software i buy has to be legit

thanks for comments so far
RB
Rich_Beardsley
Oct 14, 2003
You may want to call Adobe customer service to make sure the license transfer works the same in the UK.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 14, 2003
You may want to call Adobe customer service to make sure the license transfer works the same in the UK.

seconded. as has been said. it’s fine to transfer the license here in the us if the seller fills out and files the proper paperwork w/adobe. call and ask them the procedure for the uk. probably the same, maybe a different form though.

i dont agree with people selling pirated or illegal software and any software i buy has to be legit

you ‘da man! 🙂

dave

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections