Posted By
floobaloo
Oct 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all,

I want to do something in Photoshop (6.0) which I can imagine will be easy but I just can’t figue out how!

I have a background (layer name ‘Strobe’) and a text block (text size 100, colour white, font Romeo, layer name ‘Floobaloo’) with a stroke effect (size 20, orange colour) on the text layer. What I want to do is remove the white colour of the text to leave just the orange stroke, and the background showing through where the white text was.

I have tried rendering the text layer and then just erasing the white out; this just leaves pure orange text, I have also tried magic selecting the text and then deleting it; this has the same effect.

I can supply screengrabs if you want.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Floobaloo.co.uk

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin_Walls
Oct 13, 2003
Here’s my solution after a quick play. It is imperfect and was done on PS 7, so I don’t know how good it’ll be for you.

I used the magic wand to select the text itself and deleted. However, this took out the stroke layer style too. So, I created an empty layer under the [rasterised] text layer and did a Merge Down. This incorporated the layer style as pixels and now the magic wand and delete works.
CW
Colin_Walls
Oct 13, 2003
Or, better:

Change the blending mode of the text layer to Color Dodge. This means you still have vector text which can be changed.
BC
Betty_Compagnoni
Oct 13, 2003
Hello, tried to open the layer style dialog box and in the advanced blending section to turn-off the fill opacity to 0%? It should retains the stroke. Hope it works.. bye
F
floobaloo
Oct 13, 2003
Thanks Colin, changing the blending mode to colour dodge works perfectly!

Thanks,

Floobaloo.co.uk
BG
barry_gray
Oct 13, 2003
Easier yet is set fill opacity to 0%
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 13, 2003
Fill Opacity is located also on the Layer Palette, and doesn´t affect effects (unless set).
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 13, 2003
Keep in mind that Fill Opacity was not an option in Photoshop 6.0 leaving the blending mode as a suitable solution in this case (As Long as the text color is black).
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 13, 2003
We´ll keep that in mind.
C
Cheesefood
Oct 13, 2003
Or render the type, make a selection, contract by X amount of pixels, select inverse and delete.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 13, 2003
Mathias,

It is kind of important to note since floobaloo made the post and most people ignored the fact that Photoshop 6.0 is being used.
BG
barry_gray
Oct 13, 2003
Photo Help-
Fill opacity is indeed available in PS 6 in the layer style dialog box under blending options
BC
Betty_Compagnoni
Oct 13, 2003
Yes it is..
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 13, 2003
Yes in the layer style dialog.

I was the one that said check Layers Palette without noticing the question regarded PS6. I am sloppy. Forgive me.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 13, 2003
barry,

Right you are, I always forget it is also on the layer styles. It isn’t available on the layers pallet though.
BG
barry_gray
Oct 13, 2003
Photo-
I had to dig out my old CIAB 6 to find it, I had forgotten too.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections