Getting Scratch Disk is Full" error on empty 6Gb drive. Please help!!

R
Posted By
robertjm
Aug 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

Recently I was having scratch disk issues so I created a brand new partition on my drive that is 6Gb in size and am only using it as a scratch disk. There is nothing stored onit.

However, when I go to crop a file, I’m getting the dreaded "Scratch Disk is Full" error msg. What’s odd is that I can use the lasso tool, cut to a new layer, delete the background (what I wanted to delete), and then trim the blank pixels. Sure, its a workaround, but its a pain in the butt.

Does anyone know of a problem with Photoshop CS and scratch disks? I’ve doublechecked, and I do have the first scratch disk set to S: (the partition I’m using for the scratch disk/drive). Also, I have 1Gb of memory onboard.

BTW: The file size really doesn’t seem to be of an issue. These are small jpgs from an old 1.2 mpx Fuji camera, so its not like they’re huge images!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DT
deco_time
Aug 28, 2004
In news:Robert Marshall typed:
Hi all,

Recently I was having scratch disk issues so I created a brand new partition on my drive that is 6Gb in size and am only using it as a scratch disk. There is nothing stored onit.

However, when I go to crop a file, I’m getting the dreaded "Scratch Disk is Full" error msg. What’s odd is that I can use the lasso tool, cut to a new layer, delete the background (what I wanted to delete), and then trim the blank pixels. Sure, its a workaround, but its a pain in the butt.

Does anyone know of a problem with Photoshop CS and scratch disks? I’ve doublechecked, and I do have the first scratch disk set to S: (the partition I’m using for the scratch disk/drive). Also, I have 1Gb of memory onboard.

BTW: The file size really doesn’t seem to be of an issue. These are small jpgs from an old 1.2 mpx Fuji camera, so its not like they’re huge images!!

Ususally, on my system, weird problems like that are usually cured by deleting the preference file. What I do now is make a copy of the pref file when I get PS setup the way I want it, and when the weirdness start, about every 2 months here, I just replace the pref file with my working copy and everything is back to normal and I don’t loose time resseting all the variables. Mind you that I don’t run CS…

Odysea video production
Come dive with us!
www.odysea.ca
J
Jim
Aug 28, 2004
"Robert Marshall" wrote in message
Hi all,

That size may not be big enough. The usual figure is 5x the largest image you expect to load. Very few of the PS edits can be done in place and all layers are separate files.
Jim
R
robertjm
Aug 28, 2004
Just a quick note. I noticed I had a figure of 1700 in. in the height of the crop tool. Once I erased that it allowed me to crop just fine.

Still puzzled about why I was getting the "full" error when I still had nearly 500mb of memory free, not to mention the 6Gb drive for a scratchdisk. But as long as its working, I’m happy!

Robert
———————–
Robert wrote

Recently I was having scratch disk issues so I created a brand new partition on my drive that is 6Gb in size and am only using it as a scratch disk. There is nothing stored on it.

However, when I go to crop a file, I’m getting the dreaded "Scratch Disk is Full" error msg…
T
tacitr
Aug 28, 2004
Just a quick note. I noticed I had a figure of 1700 in. in the height of the crop tool. Once I erased that it allowed me to crop just fine.

By doing that, you were instructing Photoshop to crop the image, and then resample it (as though you had used the Image Size command) to a width of 1700 inches.

Assuming you were starting with a 1.2 megapixel RGB image at 72 pixels per inch, the image after you were done with the crop would have been 321.5 megabytes in size, and would have had a pixel dimension of 12,240 pixels by 9,180 pixels. I’m assuming this is not what you intended to do.

In any event, that’s your answer. A 6GB scratch disk is nowhere near big enough to accomodate such an image.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
CC
Chris Cox
Aug 29, 2004
Most likely you entered a resolution value for the crop tool and the resulting image is a LOT bigger than you think… (and the scratch would be full if it did the resampling you asked for).

Chris

In article , Robert
Marshall wrote:

Hi all,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections