F
Posted By
fgphotog
Dec 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
when the film grain is objectionable, are there filters or plug-ins that are really good at smoothing it?
I have looked at the ‘remove grain’ component of GrainSurgery v.1, and it isn’t too good.
It is not a bad scan but the original slide film was too fast/grainy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

"fg" wrote in message
when the film grain is objectionable, are there filters or plug-ins that
are
really good at smoothing it?
I have looked at the ‘remove grain’ component of GrainSurgery v.1, and it isn’t too good.

Do a search for SGBNR (stands for Selective Gaussian Blur Noise Reduction). Saw it at the Pleiades Astrophoto site. Never had a need for it myself but saved the page just in case I got some spare time to check it out. The links and original address didn’t save. It’s a non-commercial number that might need some tweaking.

"The advanced implementation of the SGBNR technique makes this program a powerful tool to reduce noise in digital astrophotographic images, including film grain in scanned conventional astrophotos as well as background noise in CCD images. When adequately applied to a variety of astronomical imaging works, we have consistently achieved excellent results with this program…"

Dr.J
A
Andrew
Dec 7, 2003
Do a Google search for a plug in called Eye Fidelity tools. [EFT] Its awesome at that and many other methods of smoothing grain and cleaning up your pics.
JH
John Hawkins
Dec 7, 2003
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:07:09 -0500, "fg" wrote:

when the film grain is objectionable, are there filters or plug-ins that are really good at smoothing it?

Here’s a comprehensive review of various softwares/actions. I tried the Noise Ninja demo with good results but everyone has a different eye of course.
http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise.htm
DP
Dennis Petito
Dec 7, 2003
Try Neat Image. There is a free version and it works very well.

Dennis
"fg" wrote in message
are

WD
Walter Donavan
Dec 10, 2003
Also try Clear Skin FX and DC Enhancer, both free and both small, both from www.mediachance.com

I did some tests yesterday on CSFX, DCE, and SGBNR. I’d like to tell you that one is better than the other, but not so. They do produce different results, however.

To clean up a really rough photo of a woman’s face I used SGBNR (the subject of my tests), then sharpened the resulting TIFF (SGBNR’s only output) in Photoshop, then sent the result to PhotoPro 2.0 to remove the major skin imperfections (much easier and more intuitive than Photoshop), and then sent the result to Clean Skin FX to get rid of the remaining larger pores, pits, etc. Final output: a clean, sharp, somewhat plastic-looking JPG.

Fun.

Walter Donavan
"Dennis Petito" wrote in message
Try Neat Image. There is a free version and it works very well.
Dennis
"fg" wrote in message
are
I have looked at the ‘remove grain’ component of GrainSurgery v.1, and
it
isn’t too good.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections