Posted By
Ray Molacha
Jul 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi.

I’ve had a Wacom Intuos A4 for a few years and I think it’s great. Recently, I found an airbrush and a lens cursor for $10 each, and I couldn’t resist. The tablet recognized both tools automatically, and they appear to work just fine.

My problem is that I don’t know what the airbrush stylus is capable of doing. In particular, I hardly see much effect from the "wheel" of the stylus. (I’ve tried setting the sensitivity of the wheel to minimum, intermediate and maximum). I’m guessing that the wheel acts in a way similar to the tilt or the pressure sensitivity (but I’m not sure). I would really appreciate it if someone who uses an airbrush stylus would give me a few pointers. I’m using Photoshop 7 and Painter.

My question … (what I’d *really* like to be able to do): I would like to know how to "program" the wheel to respond dynamically to attributes that allow a range of values. Uh-hmm, let me restate that. I’d like to be able to use the wheel to change the size of my brush … or the softness of my eraser … or the hue … or the saturation … etc. Is that possible? I know a few programming languages, but I don’t know anything about "programming" Photoshop. (Really, I’m a programmer and my wife’s an artist and I’m trying to figure this out for her.)

Does anyone know how I can use the wheel on my airbrush stylus to, for example, change the size of my eraser. If not, can anyone at least suggest another place to take my question (even a more clear and concise way to express my question would be
appreciated.)

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RM
Ray Molacha
Jul 29, 2004
Hi again.

Here’s what I found. There are a lot of advanced brush settings: *** means that setting allows dynamic control.

Brush Tip Shape
Brush Dynamics ***
Scattering ***
Texture
Dual Brush
Color Dynamics ***
Other Dynamics ***

Each of the above has several subsettings that can be varied. Within any one of the above brush setting categories, all of the subsettings can be varied (together, not separately) from a specified minimum to a specified maximum, using one (and only one) of the following dynamic controls:

Fade (I have no idea what this is)
Pen Pressure
Pen Tilt
Stylus Wheel (this is what I was looking for)

As far as I could tell, all the subsettings in a given category changed together. There was no way that I could separate the dynamic control of various subsettings in a particular category.

On the other hand, any combination of the four categories can be assigned to the the same or different controls. I could have everything controlled by the stylus wheel, but then all dynamic options would vary at the same time. I could have each option vary independently by assigning each to a different control (but at the moment, that seems like it would be too complicated to manage). I’d like to how other people use this, and how much complexity people are able to handle.

I have an Intuos and a Graphire, and although they both have pressure sensitivity, only the Intuos has pen-angle sensitivity and only the Intuos supports the airbrush — because of this, I much prefer the Intuos. I think I’ll give the Graphire to some kids and get another Intuos.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
H
Hecate
Jul 30, 2004
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:39:08 +0200, Ray Molacha
wrote:

Hi.

I’ve had a Wacom Intuos A4 for a few years and I think it’s great. Recently, I found an airbrush and a lens cursor for $10 each, and I couldn’t resist. The tablet recognized both tools automatically, and they appear to work just fine.

My problem is that I don’t know what the airbrush stylus is capable of doing. In particular, I hardly see much effect from the "wheel" of the stylus. (I’ve tried setting the sensitivity of the wheel to minimum, intermediate and maximum). I’m guessing that the wheel acts in a way similar to the tilt or the pressure sensitivity (but I’m not sure). I would really appreciate it if someone who uses an airbrush stylus would give me a few pointers. I’m using Photoshop 7 and Painter.

What version of Painter? The Painter manual shows you exactly how to use the airbrush. Basically, it controls the flow rate of the paint. I’m using version 8, but I have no reason (without looking up previous manuals) to think it’s any different in earlier versions. As for Photoshop I can’t think it would do anything much different.

My question … (what I’d *really* like to be able to do): I would like to know how to "program" the wheel to respond dynamically to attributes that allow a range of values. Uh-hmm, let me restate that. I’d like to be able to use the wheel to change the size of my brush … or the softness of my eraser … or the hue … or the saturation … etc. Is that possible? I know a few programming languages, but I don’t know anything about "programming" Photoshop. (Really, I’m a programmer and my wife’s an artist and I’m trying to figure this out for her.)

No.That’s not what the airbrush wheel is for – read the manual.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Jul 30, 2004
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:16:30 +0200, Ray Molacha
wrote:

Fade (I have no idea what this is)

You haven’t ever read the manual have you?

If you don’t equip yourself with the basic knowledge of how to use the software, you won’t get the best out of it.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
D
davef
Jul 30, 2004
(In Photoshop 7 at least) go to "Brushes", click on "Shape Dynamics" (or other settings such as colcor dynamics), and set "Control" to "Stylus Wheel".

Dave

In article , Ray Molacha
wrote:

Hi.

Does anyone know how I can use the wheel on my airbrush stylus to, for example, change the size of my eraser. If not, can anyone at least suggest another place to take my question (even a more clear and concise way to express my question would be
appreciated.)

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections