Can I stop PS from adding the word "copy" to filenames?

JP
Posted By
John_Prusinski
Oct 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Probably anywhere from a dozen to a hundred times a day, I save files I’m working on as jpegs or tiffs, and every time the save dialog tells me I must save as a copy, and adds the word "copy" to the filename, which I then have to highlight and delete before I can save the file, which already has the name I want.

This might be useful information for newbies, but I already know I’m saving a flat version of the file, and it’s really annoying to have to go through this convoluted procedure every time.

Is there any way to turn that function off? If not I’m begging Adobe to make it possible in the next patch.

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JasonSmith
Oct 1, 2003
"Is there any way to turn that function off?"

No.

"I’m begging Adobe to make it possible in the next patch."

Good luck – been there, done that.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 1, 2003
I get this only if I save an image into a format that doesn’t support something the image has. (layers/transparency/16 bit depth). Try that.
Rob
JP
John_Prusinski
Oct 1, 2003
Thanks, but the only reason I’m doing it at all is because I want to save my psd in a format that’s useful for other programs, like jpeg, which will always be flattened, and I want to keep the layers in my original Photoshop file.

John.
DJ
dennis_johnson
Oct 1, 2003
We share your pain, John.

It’s dumb, but that’s the way Adobe wants it. It’s not a configurable option.
JP
John_Prusinski
Oct 1, 2003
Oh, well, thanks for the sympathy, anyway… it does seem absurd that they waste program code to add a feature that is not only useless but detrimental to efficient workflow (not to mention highly irritating).

Does Adobe have a "feature request" hotline or anything? How can I remind them strongly about this (admittedly minor) but annoying issue?

Thanks,
John.
J
JasonSmith
Oct 1, 2003
yes, they have a feature request forum, inside these forums. In the past, I have suggested (since Adobe is so adamant about having ‘copy’) to add a preference to turn this OFF. Buried deep in the preferences if neccesary to keep the novice user from finding it, if need be.
M
MarcPawliger
Oct 2, 2003
Photoshop CS will only append "Copy" to the file name if 1) you are doing an incomplete save – explicitly omitting layers when saving a layered files, omitting channels in a file with additional user-added channels, etc and 2) the current folder already has a file with the same name as the file you are saving.

–marc
SW
Shank_Williams
Oct 2, 2003
Here is an intro to blending…
http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/layermask/layermask.htm
TH
Tina_Hayes
Oct 2, 2003
Huh????????????????????????
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 2, 2003
Tina,

I believe this was intended to go to the "Can someone help me with an image <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccd96f4>" thread.
TS
Tim_Spragens
Oct 2, 2003
It may take less time to flatten, save, then back up one step in the history.

Tim
NB
Norbert_Bissinger
Oct 2, 2003
Great little unanounced feature.
J
JasonSmith
Oct 2, 2003
"It may take less time to flatten, save, then back up one step in the history."

But that will exponentially increase the chance for a huge user error, something Adobe was trying to aviod by adding copy.
TS
Tim_Spragens
Oct 2, 2003
You pay your money, and you take your chances – I’ve lost more than an hour’s work before by hitting "Cancel" rather than "OK". Never did get that image quite the same. Lots of workarounds, and lots of ways to stick it to yourself with this program, but I like it better that way than having a "nanny" program.

Tim
J
JasonSmith
Oct 2, 2003
"You pay your money, and you take your chances"

That’s exactly my thought on it – Photoshop isnt a toy. It can do wonders for an image, or it can completely destroy and image in the wrong hands.

Inadvertantly adding ‘copy’ to file names wont change that.

I’ve made the mistake of clicking from one open image to another with the eyedropper tool (thinking I’ve made the other image active in Photoshop), close without saving….well, with the eyedropper tool, it just samples from the other image, it doesnt activate it. I ended up closing the wrong doc and losing 3 hours of work(literally)..

Just one of potentially hundreds of ‘gotchas’ that Photoshop can throw your way if you’re not paying attention.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections