FC
Posted By
Furmanek, Christopher
Sep 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know if the maximum image size has been increased past 30000 pixels? I frequently have images that exceed photoshop’s limits and am trying to find out if CS increased this. Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SS
Schaefer, Stephanie
Sep 29, 2003
From the Photoshop CS overview: <http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/overview2.html#km2>

Support for extremely large images
Create for billboards, bus wraps, technical imaging, and more by working with images up to 300,000×300,000 pixels and up to 56 channels per file
MD
milbut, dave
Sep 29, 2003
no mention of file size though steph. still 2 gig or has that been boosted too?
MD
milbut, dave
Sep 29, 2003
ok that’s a silly question. i guess it would have to be increased. what i should’ve asked is what is now the max file size?

thanks, dave
HC
Haas, Chris
Sep 29, 2003
They’ve added a new file type called a PSB (instead of a PSD) for large files. You need to turn it on before you can use it though. The limit is somewhere past a couple hundred GBs, maybe more.
Z
Zeb
Sep 29, 2003
335.3GB @ 300 000 x 300 000 in CMYK

251.5GB @ 300 000 x 300 000 in RGB
HC
Haas, Chris
Sep 29, 2003
That’s only the size of a blank canvas. I’m sure with everything else you’d do to the file it would grow even more.
SS
Schaefer, Stephanie
Sep 29, 2003
We’ve increased TIFF to 4G (which is the limit per the spec) all other formats remain the same. We’ve also introduced .PSB, which has no hard limit, but it’s only compatible with Photoshop CS.
MD
milbut, dave
Sep 30, 2003
cool beans. way to go steph and everyone else at adobe. this should be an awesome upgrade! 🙂

btw, will you be sharing/licensing the psb spec in the future to allow other apps to work on the format a’la the way psd’s do currently? or can that not be commented on until it’s a fact?
Z
Zeb
Sep 30, 2003
In the past it was possible to create a file over 2GB, save it but then not being able to open it, can PSCS or whatever the abbreviation is, open such a file?
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
Good question Zeb.
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Sep 30, 2003
Zeb,

Photoshop CS will allow you to read/write files greater than 2G – using PSB, TIFF or Photoshop RAW.

I’m guessing this doesn’t answer you real question though as I think your asking if CS will be able to open the PSD files that were too big for earlier versions to open. The answer to that question is yes, provided the file is not damaged. Note however that you will not be able to resave as PSD if the file would exceed 2G – you’de need to use TIFF or PSB.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 30, 2003
Cool beans. Thanks Stephanie.
Z
Zeb
Sep 30, 2003
Thanks too, that info alone just might shift some extra copies of PSCS.
RB
ron_boyd
Oct 1, 2003
I have been trying to load a large jpg file in Photoshop v7 (around 20-30 Mb)and 120 inches in length. I have had no success, and keep getting a message "could not open because of a problem parsing the jpeg data". Smaller files of the same type and from the same source open fine. Is this a problem with file size or something different? How should I open the image? It opens fine in Corel Photopaint and ACDSee 6.
Ron
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
If the resolution is greater than 100 ppi, the image exceeds the 30,000 pixel limit in PS 7.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 1, 2003
So what type of setup would you need to open and manipulate a 200-300 GB.PSB file in CS? How is that even possible?

And while we’re at it, what possible use could it be, being that almost all very large format output devices don’t require ANY where near the resolution that offset does, usually closer to 72ppi, or less.

300,000 pixels @ 72ppi is 347 FEET! There is no output device that big. Even @ 300ppi for a Lambda type of unit, that’s 83 feet.

Maybe this would be for making 1 really, really, really big image, to be tiled in a series of grand format outputs…

One thing is for sure: this will stop all the grousing from those select individuals who have an issue with the 30,000 pixel/2GB limit!!!
As a matter of fact, it should shut them the he** up!
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
I could just see that conversation at the program managers meeting.

Programmer: "look for x amount of code we could make PS handle obscenely big files"

Manager: "oh yeah? why would we do that? nothing can print them…"

Cust Support Team Leader: "Yeah, but it would shut everybody up who’s complaining now"

<round table nod> And so the motion passes.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 1, 2003
nodding… jus’ like them
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 1, 2003
That depends — is it over 30,000 pixels? It doesn’t sound like it.

It sounds more like part of the file is corrupt.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
Chris,

If his image is 120 inches, if it’s 100ppi, it’s 30,000 pixels wide. That’s why I said if it’s greater than 100ppi, it’s beyond the limits.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 1, 2003
ron may be gone for the day
CS
Carol_Steele
Oct 1, 2003
If his image is 120 inches, if it’s 100ppi, it’s 30,000 pixels wide<

Er, either my maths is way out or yours is Tony.

120 inches at 100 ppi is only 12,000 pixels

Carol
(Posted from the UK)
JD
Jon_Davis
Oct 1, 2003
Actually, there are output devices that easily challange ps7’s current image size restrictions. We’re trying to open and print a file that is 21,600×43,200. This will be printed on an hp designjet 5000ps at 3ft x 6ft, at 600dpi. Thank you adobe, we can finally print this beautiful picture, been banging our heads on this problem for months now.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 1, 2003
Carol,

Er, either my maths is way out or yours is Tony.

120 inches at 100 ppi is only 12,000 pixels

You’re right. My trials in Photoshop were accidentally set to a resolution of 100 pixels per centimeter.

A resolution of 250 ppinch at 120 inches wide is 30,000 pixels.

Sorry – don’t know how my dialog got switched to pixels per centimeter.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 1, 2003
John,

That is nice and all but you are wasting resources printing a 600 PPI image. Your image file is at a higher resolution than the printer is capable of rendering. You could cut that resolution in half and see no difference in print quality.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 1, 2003
John – you still have a problem: the OS printing APIs won’t accept anything over 30,000 pixels (or 32,767). So you may need a third party RIP to print anything that large.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections