Posted By
ahardemsk
Jul 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I installed Cenatek’s Ramdisk software which I’ve set up to convert 500Mb of my 1500Mb RAM to a Ramdisk. Great for Browser Cache and other temporary XP Pro stuff.

I know some will say there is no need with PS, but it wasn’t set up for PS, so in the settings I ignored that "Drive" as a scratch disk and set my second and third HD’s.

However even though I ignore the Ramdisk in the setup, PS CS always chooses that drive as the first place to put temporary files. That would be fine if when full (not a difficult job) it them moved to my second choice drive, but it doesn’t. It just gives a red error message and says I can’t continue as the drive is full.

I’ve tried the usual CRT>ALT>SHIFT to reset CS but nothing changes the PS behaviour. So I’ve re-installed PS 7.0 and all is fine.

Any help gratefully received.

Aharon Demsky

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

X
XCATivor
Jul 16, 2004
"Aharon Demsky" wrote in message

I installed Cenatek’s Ramdisk software which I’ve set up to convert 500Mb of my 1500Mb RAM to a Ramdisk. Great for Browser Cache and other temporary XP Pro stuff.

old, but excellent article about "usefulness" of ramdisks:

"
Will using a RAMDISK improve my system’s performance?
One question that comes up continually is "Why can’t I set up a RAMDISK and use that for the swapfile?"

The answer is found in the definition of the swapfile and why it exists. The swapfile exists because the computer does not have enough RAM to handle all of the code and data that needs to be loaded into memory. Therefore the swap file is created allowing disk space to be used as virtual memory so it can "pretend" to be RAM memory. The Window memory manager tracks which items are be used and which are inactive at present and moves the inactive ones to the virtual memory.

If a RAM disk is created then the RAM used for this will be taken away from windows. Windows will therefore have that much less RAM and will therefore need a correspondingly larger swap file to compensate. Let’s look at some numbers. Suppose that the computer has 64 mb of RAM and a 16 mb swap file. This gives a total memory requirement of 80 mb. The user decides to create an18 mb RAM disk (allowing 10% extra for special situations) and assign the swap file to this. This reduces the RAM available to Windows to 48 mb. The total memory requirement remains at 80 mb, only now a 32 mb swapfile is needed because there is only 48 mb of physical RAM. But the swapfile is limited to only 18 mb because it is in a RAMDISK. Clang!!!!!!!!!

Another candidate for RAMDISKs are the temporary files – the ones that are normally created in c:\windows\temp and which are deleted (or are supposed to be deleted) when the applicaiton is closed. As these files are often small but are accessed very frequently it is often thought that putting these into a RAMDISK will improve performance. There is even a commercial product (Hurricane) that does this as a default when the program is installed. The problems arise when there is a need for more temporary files than the RAMDISK can hold. "Insufficient disk space" is the usual error message in these instances and it is sometimes difficult to trace because many people are not even aware of what Hurricane has done to their system. This type of error usually shows up when installing, or trying to install, some major new piece of software that creates a lot of temporary files during the install process. The RAMDISK gets full and the process crashes. Not a pretty sight."

.. .::xcat
:.:.:.:.:.:.
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 16, 2004
". .:xcat::" wrote in news:cd8lkr$nvc$1
@bagan.srce.hr:

old, but excellent article about "usefulness" of ramdisks:

….which leaves out how unagressively Windows (and most Adobe apps) use free RAM, and, out in the real world, you can often see significant performance gains using a RAMDisc.

The real problem with using a RAMDisc for the Windows swapfile is the program occasionally crashes, bringing the machine down in flames. CenaTek’s has the problem of occasionally needing reinstallation before functioning again, which completely disables the machine until fairly drastic intervention is used.

This is an annoyance rather than a problem with applications.

In any case, Aharon was asking for help with a particular issue having nothing to do with the swapfile, which, unfortunately, I’ve never seen. Aharon, did you try throwing away the preferences file for PSCS?
JC
Jeremy Clulow
Jul 16, 2004
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:35:40 GMT, Eric Gill wrote:

|| ". .:xcat::" wrote in news:cd8lkr$nvc$1
|| @bagan.srce.hr:
||
|| > old, but excellent article about "usefulness" of ramdisks: ||
|| In any case, Aharon was asking for help with a particular issue having || nothing to do with the swapfile, which, unfortunately, I’ve never seen. || Aharon, did you try throwing away the preferences file for PSCS?

Hi Eric,

I’ve come across a couple of other references in bulletin boards to this behaviour of PS CS. One solution was the old CRT>ALT>SHIFT when booting PS. Isn’t that the same as throwing away the preferences file? If not, do you perhaps have a file name to stop me doing anything silly?

As I said, the RAMDisk I’ve set up isn’t for PS, so I don’t expect any performance improvement there, but I certainly see a browsing improvement. I’ve set my system TEMP and TMP loacation to the RAMDisk as well and I don’t save an image when I close down (an option in Cenatek Ramdisk) so all the temp stuff gets deleted every day. I know that’s not everyone wants, but I do.

Thanks for your help

Aharon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeremy Clulow,
Webs Wonder Design
www.webswonder.co.uk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EG
Eric Gill
Jul 16, 2004
Jeremy Clulow wrote in
news::

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:35:40 GMT, Eric Gill
wrote:

|| ". .:xcat::" wrote in news:cd8lkr$nvc$1
|| @bagan.srce.hr:
||
|| > old, but excellent article about "usefulness" of ramdisks: ||
|| In any case, Aharon was asking for help with a particular issue || having nothing to do with the swapfile, which, unfortunately, I’ve || never seen. Aharon, did you try throwing away the preferences file || for PSCS?

Hi Eric,

I’ve come across a couple of other references in bulletin boards to this behaviour of PS CS. One solution was the old CRT>ALT>SHIFT when booting PS. Isn’t that the same as throwing away the preferences file?

Yep, that’s the new and improved easy way.

If not, do you perhaps have a file name to stop me doing anything silly?

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/6712.htm

Be sure to save any custom Actions, Brushes and the like if you have any.

As I said, the RAMDisk I’ve set up isn’t for PS, so I don’t expect any performance improvement there, but I certainly see a browsing improvement.

I’ve used it for something similar, and yeah, the difference is nice.

I gave up on it a while back due to the problems I mentioned. It’s too bad the much more fault-tolerant RAMDisc cards are so bloody expensive.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections