CS6

Posted By
455595jkkawe
Aug 31, 2012
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In CS6 is there a way to have the "Adjustments" menu displayed constantly?

Currently I keep doing the "Image" > "Adjustments" > then I can finally pick Curves, Levels etc.
I generally make about 8 or more adjustments on each picture. It seems like a real waste – when in my opinion it would make sense to pick the item directly with one click from my second monitor.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TC
tony cooper
Aug 31, 2012
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:55:28 -0700, 455595jkkawe
wrote:

Currently I keep doing the "Image" > "Adjustments" > then I can finally pick Curves, Levels etc.
I generally make about 8 or more adjustments on each picture. It seems like a real waste – when in my opinion it would make sense to pick the item directly with one click from my second monitor.

I have CS4, not CS6, but I’m sure they’re the same in this regard. The answer is "No" if I understand your question correctly. You want the drop-down of "Image>Adjustment" to remain open at all times to choose the adjustment in that drop-down.

What can speed up your work, though, is learning the keyboard shortcuts. Levels = Control + L, Curves = Control + M, etc.

However, when you use the Adjustments drop-down, or the shortcuts like this, you are making all of those adjustments to the same layer. If you’re into your fourth adjustment, and figure out that you don’t like your third, you have to delete that layer and start over.

If you use the Adjustment Layers icon at the bottom, you create a new layer for each adjustment, and can go back and change that adjustment in that layer.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
455595jkkawe
Aug 31, 2012
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:16:30 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

I have CS4, not CS6, but I’m sure they’re the same in this regard. The answer is "No" if I understand your question correctly. You want the drop-down of "Image>Adjustment" to remain open at all times to choose the adjustment in that drop-down.

What can speed up your work, though, is learning the keyboard shortcuts. Levels = Control + L, Curves = Control + M, etc.
However, when you use the Adjustments drop-down, or the shortcuts like this, you are making all of those adjustments to the same layer. If you’re into your fourth adjustment, and figure out that you don’t like your third, you have to delete that layer and start over.
If you use the Adjustment Layers icon at the bottom, you create a new layer for each adjustment, and can go back and change that adjustment in that layer.

I do use shortcuts a lot but then there is Vibrance or Channel Mixer that have none ( for whatever reason).
I did use adjustment layers for months but dumped that except in special cases.
TC
tony cooper
Sep 1, 2012
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:52:14 -0700, 455595jkkawe
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I do use shortcuts a lot but then there is Vibrance or Channel Mixer that have none ( for whatever reason).

Your choice as far as layers. I wouldn’t do it your way, but you do what fits your workflow.

Why not create an action to open the dropdown and assign a function key to the action?

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
O
one
Sep 1, 2012
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:55:28 +0100, 455595jkkawe wrote
(in article ):

I recall once having a utility for my Mac (or maybe it was part of the System) which gave me tear-off menus, though I can’t recall if it enabled tear-off submenus. Maybe there’s something similar for Windows.

Alternatively, maybe Configurator could produce something to suit you:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/configurator.html
455595jkkawe
Sep 1, 2012
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:24:04 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Your choice as far as layers. I wouldn’t do it your way, but you do what fits your workflow.

I very rarely change my mind – say 1-10 at most. There are plenty of ways to go back to earlier versions

Why not create an action to open the dropdown and assign a function key to the action?

This is one rather than two key strokes. Have not spent any time learning actions yet. I like to keep things real simple – if possible.
455595jkkawe
Sep 1, 2012
On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 15:02:50 +0100, wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:55:28 +0100, 455595jkkawe wrote
(in article ):

I recall once having a utility for my Mac (or maybe it was part of the System) which gave me tear-off menus, though I can’t recall if it enabled tear-off submenus. Maybe there’s something similar for Windows.
Alternatively, maybe Configurator could produce something to suit you:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/configurator.html

I’m running W7 and ‘plain’ CS6. Not sure if configurator will work with it and for what I have in mind.
U
UlyssesT
Sep 1, 2012
Adobe Photoshop has a host of automation tools, one of the most versatile and powerful of them is called an action. In fact, some of the other automation commands, such as batches and droplets, derive their functionality from actions.

An action is like a macro or script; however, while scripts have a reputation for being confusing and difficult, actions are very easy to create. If you know how to use Photoshop, you know most of what you need to create your own actions.

For example, let’s say that you have 100 digital photos that you’d like to post on the Internet. Normally, you’d have to load each one, scale, color correct, sharpen, and then save them one at a time. Alternatively, you could create an action that does all the "dirty work" for you – and best of all, you’ll get consistent results in far less time than you could’ve achieved by doing it manually!

Although actions can be used to automate all sorts of tasks, some common uses include:

batch-processing multiple images;
applying consistent treatments;
repeating tedious or mundane tasks; or
distributing reproducible special effects.
To better understand actions, let’s begin with a comprehensive overview of the Actions panel, including the commands available in the Actions panel menu. We’ll then use these commands to create a couple of actions of our very own!

Introduction to the Actions Panel
The Actions panel is sort of like a "mini action editor": it allows you to create (record), edit, load, save, delete and play actions (among other things). To show or hide the Actions panel, use the Window
S
Savageduck
Sep 1, 2012
On 2012-09-01 08:49:36 -0700, 455595jkkawe
said:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 20:24:04 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I very rarely change my mind – say 1-10 at most. There are plenty of ways to go back to earlier versions

Reverting to earlier version is the least of the benefits of using layers. Perhaps your particular workflow doesn’t require layers, but by rejecting them you are discarding one of the most powerful and useful features of photoshop.

Consider the effect of blending modes and making subtle adjustment by employing the opacity slider.
Adjustment & effects layers are tools which are worth learning about. Since you have already bought PS why not use it fully?

Consider getting Matt Kloskowski’s Layers book, you might learn something. <
http://www.amazon.com/Layers-Complete-Photoshops-Powerful-Fe ature/dp/0321749588/ref=la_B001I9N9U0_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=13 46516101&sr=1-2

This is one rather than two key strokes. Have not spent any time learning actions yet. I like to keep things real simple – if possible.

Regards,

Savageduck
P
pburdett
Sep 2, 2012
I have CS6. This is easy…I have the adjustment menu showing all the time. Just select it from the window menu and dock it to any other panels you have. It will remain available all the time (make sure you save the workspace.

paul

"455595jkkawe" wrote in message
455595jkkawe
Sep 3, 2012
On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:48:49 +1000, "pburdett" wrote:

I have CS6. This is easy…I have the adjustment menu showing all the time. Just select it from the window menu and dock it to any other panels you have. It will remain available all the time (make sure you save the workspace.

paul

"455595jkkawe" wrote in message

For adj layers only

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections