R
Posted By
rdoc2
Aug 10, 2012
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I make psd files show as a thumbnail image in windows explorer? Right now they show up as a psd icon when I go to view them as a thumbnail in windows explorer and I want them to be a image like the jpg files are an image in windows explorer. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
JD
Aug 11, 2012
RDOC wrote:
How do I make psd files show as a thumbnail image in windows explorer? Right now they show up as a psd icon when I go to view them as a thumbnail in windows explorer and I want them to be a image like the jpg files are an image in windows explorer. Thanks.

ask.com returns quite a few hits for the question: "Why can’t PSD thumbnails be displayed in Windows 7?"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-p ictures/why-cant-psd-thumbnails-be-displayed-in-windows-7/c8 98697e-3cca-41fc-b273-576042a904b1

The third reply may be of interest.

Finding a safe version of psicon.dll is the tricky part?

Sorry I can’t be more help. 🙁

JD..
TC
tony cooper
Aug 11, 2012
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:05:45 -0500, JD wrote:

RDOC wrote:

ask.com returns quite a few hits for the question: "Why can’t PSD thumbnails be displayed in Windows 7?"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-p ictures/why-cant-psd-thumbnails-be-displayed-in-windows-7/c8 98697e-3cca-41fc-b273-576042a904b1

Can’t answer the question, but the Windows Explorer is not the only way to display files. Download the FastStone viewer (free) at http://www.faststone.org/ and use that. It displays .psd files and does a number of other useful things.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
J
JD
Aug 12, 2012
tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:05:45 -0500, JD wrote:

RDOC wrote:

Can’t answer the question, but the Windows Explorer is not the only way to display files. Download the FastStone viewer (free) at http://www.faststone.org/ and use that. It displays .psd files and does a number of other useful things.

Other options would be to use Adobe Bridge or use the free XnView program and go into it’s Tools menu, System integration. Then, in Explorer, you can right-click on a folder and choose to ‘Browse with XNView’.

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview.html

I’m sure RDOC, the op, will let us know what he wants to do.

JD..
R
rdoc2
Aug 12, 2012
On Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:05:45 PM UTC-4, JD wrote:
RDOC wrote:

How do I make psd files show as a thumbnail image in windows

explorer? Right now they show up as a psd icon when I go to view them

as a thumbnail in windows explorer and I want them to be a image like

the jpg files are an image in windows explorer. Thanks.

ask.com returns quite a few hits for the question: "Why can’t PSD
thumbnails be displayed in Windows 7?"

JD..

The only problem is I would try to do the bit suggested in the third reply but I don’t have a Shell folder under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe as the example says you have to put psicon.dll file into. Also I have the other viewers but I want to be able to see a thumbnail image in Windows Explorer not in another program. Thanks for the help anyway.
B
bdchmura
Aug 12, 2012
when I want to use Photoshop and/or Illustrator, I always open the Bridge to choose the file to preview and then d-click on to open the app and edit.
I’ve always found the WIN EXP previews too small anyway.

Just a thought.

Gary W. Chmura

On 09/08/2012 11:30 PM, RDOC wrote:
R
rdoc2
Aug 12, 2012
On Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:30:37 PM UTC-4, RDOC wrote:

Ok I found the fix. In short you need the file (psicon.dll and a reg file to run) and that is it. Thanks guys for you help it is appreciated.
J
JD
Aug 12, 2012
RDOC wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:05:45 PM UTC-4, JD wrote:
RDOC wrote:

explorer? Right now they show up as a psd icon when I go to view them

as a thumbnail in windows explorer and I want them to be a image like

the jpg files are an image in windows explorer. Thanks.

ask.com returns quite a few hits for the question: "Why can’t PSD
thumbnails be displayed in Windows 7?"

JD..

The only problem is I would try to do the bit suggested in the third reply but I don’t have a Shell folder under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe as the example says you have to put psicon.dll file into. Also I have the other viewers but I want to be able to see a thumbnail image in Windows Explorer not in another program. Thanks for the help anyway.

I’m using Windows XP and CS3 and I have C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell which contains 2 files: icons.dll and idicon.dll. In searching for an answer, it seems like I read something about a Registry hack was also needed for Windows 7?

If you want to experiment, add the Shell folder manually.

Or you could try XnView, Tools, System integration. In Explorer, you could right-click on a folder and choose to ‘Browse with XNView’.

Not exactly what you want, but maybe close enough to see the thumbnails without having to use Bridge.

JD..
J
JD
Aug 12, 2012
RDOC wrote:

Ok I found the fix. In short you need the file (psicon.dll and a reg file to run) and that is it. Thanks guys for you help it is appreciated.

Could you give us more details? Where did you find the file and reg file or give us a link or links to the solution?

JD..
R
rdoc2
Aug 13, 2012
On Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:26:38 PM UTC-4, JD wrote:
RDOC wrote:

explorer? Right now they show up as a psd icon when I go to view

them as a thumbnail in windows explorer and I want them to be a

image like the jpg files are an image in windows explorer. Thanks.

Ok I found the fix. In short you need the file (psicon.dll and a reg

file to run) and that is it. Thanks guys for you help it is

appreciated.

Could you give us more details? Where did you find the file and reg file
or give us a link or links to the solution?

JD..
I did a search on google for thumbnails of psd files in Windows Explorer and got many hits and just read through all of them until I found what I was looking for with links as I went along. I knew I wanted the dll file and the reg file. I found many links to what I wanted but this was the best: http://www.imagingtips.com/photoshop/psd-thumbnails/psicon.z ip.
R
rdoc2
Aug 13, 2012

I did a search on google for thumbnails for psd files in Windows Explorer and got many hits that led to the psicon.dll file and the reg fix. The best one was:
http://www.imagingtips.com/photoshop/psd-thumbnails/psicon.z ip.
J
JD
Aug 13, 2012
RDOC wrote:
On Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:26:38 PM UTC-4, JD wrote:
RDOC wrote:

explorer? Right now they show up as a psd icon when I go to view

them as a thumbnail in windows explorer and I want them to be a

image like the jpg files are an image in windows explorer. Thanks.

Ok I found the fix. In short you need the file (psicon.dll and a reg

file to run) and that is it. Thanks guys for you help it is

appreciated.

Could you give us more details? Where did you find the file and reg file

or give us a link or links to the solution?

JD..
I did a search on google for thumbnails of psd files in Windows Explorer and got many hits and just read through all of them until I found what I was looking for with links as I went along. I knew I wanted the dll file and the reg file. I found many links to what I wanted but this was the best:
http://www.imagingtips.com/photoshop/psd-thumbnails/psicon.z ip.

Excellent! Good find for anyone else with the desire to view psd files in Windows Explorer.

JD..

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections