P
Posted By
PeterN
Jul 22, 2012
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am looking for a new monitor, which will probably be an NEC 27" which has fairly high resolution. (2560 x 1440) At that resolution I will not be able to read the menu items and I anticipate that other programs will have fonts too small to see. My tentative solution os to use two monitors and keep only the images on the high resolution screen. The sales clerks have told me this is easy. But, I am wondering whether anyone here has gone that route.

PeterN

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TC
tony cooper
Jul 22, 2012
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 20:15:53 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

I am looking for a new monitor, which will probably be an NEC 27" which has fairly high resolution. (2560 x 1440) At that resolution I will not be able to read the menu items and I anticipate that other programs will have fonts too small to see. My tentative solution os to use two monitors and keep only the images on the high resolution screen. The sales clerks have told me this is easy. But, I am wondering whether anyone here has gone that route.

I’m not sure what the question is. I have been using two monitors for quite some time. Easys-peasy. Handy, for example, when commenting on SI images…the PBase page on one screen, and the newsgroup on the other.

In editing, I’ll sometimes have the same image up on both screens with one highly enlarged using a Layer Mask, and the other screen showing the image at normal size so I have a better sense of the entire image.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
P
PeterN
Jul 22, 2012
On 7/21/2012 8:49 PM, tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

I’m not sure what the question is. I have been using two monitors for quite some time. Easys-peasy. Handy, for example, when commenting on SI images…the PBase page on one screen, and the newsgroup on the other.

In editing, I’ll sometimes have the same image up on both screens with one highly enlarged using a Layer Mask, and the other screen showing the image at normal size so I have a better sense of the entire image.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I would like to use PhotoShop so that the image is full size on one screen and the control & menu for the same program is on the other screen. The Adobe forums list thius as an issue which has not been resolved, with Win7.
<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4086815>

PeterN
TC
tony cooper
Jul 22, 2012
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 06:16:30 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

wrote:

Maybe I should have been more clear. I would like to use PhotoShop so that the image is full size on one screen and the control & menu for the same program is on the other screen. The Adobe forums list thius as an issue which has not been resolved, with Win7.

Dunno what that person’s problem is, but using CS4 and XP I can have the image on my main screen and all the tools and palettes on the other screen. I just drag them over there.

I can’t imagine why it would be any different in CS5 or Windows 7. If the tools bar and palettes are draggable to a different position on one monitor, they can be moved over to a second monitor.

BTW, my secondary monitor is to my left, not to my right as someone in the forum recommends. It’s to my left because that’s only way it’s possible in the set-up in the room where I use it. I can’t see why this makes any difference to anyone.

I don’t often split tools/palettes and image, though. My images are not in the same ratio as my primary monitor. My monitor is wider than the image when the image fills the screen top-to-bottom, so I have room at one side. When I do do it, it’s because I have a number of palettes open and a lot of layers.

CD
Carl Dershem
Jul 22, 2012
PeterN typed in news:500b463b$0
$5692$:

I am looking for a new monitor, which will probably be an NEC
27" which
has fairly high resolution. (2560 x 1440) At that resolution I
will not
be able to read the menu items and I anticipate that other
programs will
have fonts too small to see. My tentative solution os to use two monitors and keep only the images on the high resolution screen. The sales clerks have told me this is easy. But, I am wondering
whether
anyone here has gone that route.

Yes, but not at that level.
Both of my monitors are currently 24", 1900 x 1080 monitors, and I keep the image on one, and the tools on the other in Photoshop. It really helps to keep things un-cluttered.

cd
P
PeterN
Jul 22, 2012
On 7/22/2012 8:42 AM, tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

Maybe I should have been more clear. I would like to use PhotoShop so that the image is full size on one screen and the control& menu for the same program is on the other screen. The Adobe forums list thius as an issue which has not been resolved, with Win7.

Dunno what that person’s problem is, but using CS4 and XP I can have the image on my main screen and all the tools and palettes on the other screen. I just drag them over there.

I can’t imagine why it would be any different in CS5 or Windows 7. If the tools bar and palettes are draggable to a different position on one monitor, they can be moved over to a second monitor.
BTW, my secondary monitor is to my left, not to my right as someone in the forum recommends. It’s to my left because that’s only way it’s possible in the set-up in the room where I use it. I can’t see why this makes any difference to anyone.

I don’t often split tools/palettes and image, though. My images are not in the same ratio as my primary monitor. My monitor is wider than the image when the image fills the screen top-to-bottom, so I have room at one side. When I do do it, it’s because I have a number of palettes open and a lot of layers.

Thanks. I had no clue on how to do it. For my use, keeping tools in the unused section of one monitor may not work, because 9of my planned high resolution.

PeterN
TC
tony cooper
Jul 22, 2012
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:47:10 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Maybe I should have been more clear. I would like to use PhotoShop so that the image is full size on one screen and the control& menu for the same program is on the other screen. The Adobe forums list thius as an issue which has not been resolved, with Win7.

Thanks. I had no clue on how to do it. For my use, keeping tools in the unused section of one monitor may not work, because 9of my planned high resolution.

I assume that you have already checked to see if your video card supports two monitors or that you have two video cards. Once you add a monitor, you’ll go to My Computer>Display>Settings> and drag the monitor icons to the arrangement you want. Your cursor will move between the two monitors just as if it is one monitor.

P
PeterN
Jul 27, 2012
On 7/22/2012 7:11 PM, tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I assume that you have already checked to see if your video card supports two monitors or that you have two video cards. Once you add a monitor, you’ll go to My Computer>Display>Settings> and drag the monitor icons to the arrangement you want. Your cursor will move between the two monitors just as if it is one monitor.

That’s what made me nervous. When I asked if my video card would support two monitors, I received an evasive answer. It is not a big deal to add a second video card, but if I have to, I would like to know in advance. I also figure that if I get evasive answers before the sale, I might not get teh best service if a problem arises after the sale.

PeterN
TC
tony cooper
Jul 27, 2012
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:13:20 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

That’s what made me nervous. When I asked if my video card would support two monitors, I received an evasive answer. It is not a big deal to add a second video card, but if I have to, I would like to know in advance. I also figure that if I get evasive answers before the sale, I might not get teh best service if a problem arises after the sale.

You might read this:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/223014/make_mu ltiple_monitors_work_for_you.html

The one I purchased was at the low end, price-wise. Not being a gamer, I didn’t need more. I didn’t "add" a video card; I replaced my video card with a dual card.

My second monitor is from a store that sells used business systems. It’s a NEC (model unknown) that I paid $50 for. Surprisingly, the screen definition is fantastic. I work on the primary screen, but the second screen would not be a problem to work on.

P
PeterN
Jul 27, 2012
On 7/27/2012 12:06 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:13:20 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

You might read this:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/223014/make_mu ltiple_monitors_work_for_you.html
The one I purchased was at the low end, price-wise. Not being a gamer, I didn’t need more. I didn’t "add" a video card; I replaced my video card with a dual card.

My second monitor is from a store that sells used business systems. It’s a NEC (model unknown) that I paid $50 for. Surprisingly, the screen definition is fantastic. I work on the primary screen, but the second screen would not be a problem to work on.

Interesting article, It will serve as a checklist, when I do my install. I plan to order the new monitor within the next week or two.

PeterN
MQ
Michael Quick
Aug 8, 2012
"PeterN" wrote in message
I am looking for a new monitor, which will probably be an NEC 27" which has fairly high resolution. (2560 x 1440) At that resolution I will not be able to read the menu items and I anticipate that other programs will have fonts too small to see. My tentative solution os to use two monitors and keep only the images on the high resolution screen.
The sales clerks have told me this is easy. But, I am wondering whether anyone here has gone that route.

PeterN

How you considered resizing the menu fonts on screen? Simply make them bigger so you can read them. This has been a known ‘problem’ for many years so both Mac’s and PC’s have user definable font sizes built into the operating system…

I have a 1920 x 1200 24" monitor and reading menus isn’t a problem.

Mike
MQ
Michael Quick
Aug 8, 2012
‘How’ should be ‘Have’

Mike

"Michael Quick" wrote in message
"PeterN" wrote in message
I am looking for a new monitor, which will probably be an NEC 27" which has fairly high resolution. (2560 x 1440) At that resolution I will not be able to read the menu items and I anticipate that other programs will have fonts too small to see. My tentative solution os to use two monitors and keep only the images on the high resolution screen.
The sales clerks have told me this is easy. But, I am wondering whether anyone here has gone that route.

PeterN

How you considered resizing the menu fonts on screen? Simply make them bigger so you can read them. This has been a known ‘problem’ for many years so both Mac’s and PC’s have user definable font sizes built into the operating system…

I have a 1920 x 1200 24" monitor and reading menus isn’t a problem.
Mike

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections