Posted By
scott.siegler
Oct 2, 2012
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I am relatively new to photoshop. I am getting better with layers but have a question I hope someone can answer.

I would like to enhance shadow after applying a levels adjustment layer.

However, since you can’t add an adjustment layer for shadow enhancement, how would I go about adding some type of layer on top of the levels adjustment layer so I could make further tweaks?

Also, as I am new to photo retouching – when retouching a photo, is the preferred method to first make shadow enhancements and then add a levels adjustment or to make the levels adjustment first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TC
tony cooper
Oct 3, 2012
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 11:58:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hello,

I am relatively new to photoshop. I am getting better with layers but have a question I hope someone can answer.

However, since you can’t add an adjustment layer for shadow enhancement, how would I go about adding some type of layer on top of the levels adjustment layer so I could make further tweaks?

Also, as I am new to photo retouching – when retouching a photo, is the preferred method to first make shadow enhancements and then add a levels adjustment or to make the levels adjustment first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have "Shadows/Highlights" as a drop-down under Adjustments. You have to experiment to know how much to tweak each slider to get the effect you want, but pay attention to the Midtone Contrast slider. The default is zero, but it needs to be brought up in most images.

The first step in post should be to duplicate the background. (Control J). The next step is either adjusting Levels or adjusting Curves. If you’re using Levels, bring in the points inside any clipping of the darks or lights.

If you use an Adjustment Layer to set levels, you need to Merge Visible (hold down Alt and Merge Visible under Layers) or the layer on top of the Adjustment Layer will not have any effect.

That creates a Layer that can be adjusted (but is not an Adjustment Layer). Use the Shadows/Highlights drop-down on this layer.

You may also want to tweak the Contrast on this layer if you use Shadows/Highlights.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
N
nomail
Oct 3, 2012
wrote:
Hello,

You can’t do this as an adjustment layer, but if you cange your photo layer (probably your background layer right now) to a smart object, you can add Shadows/Highlights as a smart filter.

It doesn’t really matter, but I would make the largest adjustment first and then fine tune with the other adjustment(s).

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections