Posted By
Des
Jan 4, 2012
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
In Photoshop 7 I had a window control on the top right with two tabs. I couls make the image larger or smaller with a slider and I could move around the image by dragging a small square

The other tab allowed me to select a range of pixels. It would show me how many pixels I had selected and made it east for me to copy and make a new image of these pixels. This is the one I need.

TIA

Desmond.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Savageduck
Jan 4, 2012
On 2012-01-04 10:50:51 -0800, Des said:

Hi
In Photoshop 7 I had a window control on the top right with two tabs. I couls make the image larger or smaller with a slider and I could move around the image by dragging a small square

The other tab allowed me to select a range of pixels. It would show me how many pixels I had selected and made it east for me to copy and make a new image of these pixels. This is the one I need.
TIA

Desmond.

Yup! I started out with PS7 and moved along with CS, CS2, CS4, & CS5. The leap from PS7 to CS5 (CS5.5 only applies to the entire Creative Suite, there is no Photoshop CS 5.5) is considerable and there are some user interface (UI)changes which you will have to get used to.

I see that you are using a Windows machine and there are only some minor UI differences between that and those on my Mac.

First understand that it is different and you are going to see what works best for you as far as a work space goes.
You are going to be able to select one of the default workspaces by going to the menu bar and select the "Window" drop down menu; Window–>Workspace and make a selection, or build a custom personalized workspace.
I would suggest choosing "Photography" to build on. Then add any elements you might need.
You can also select those via the tags on the right of the menu bar. It is also useful at first to select "New in CS5" which will show you the features added to CS5 over previous versions of CS, not necessarily PS7.

Then there is also the choice of "Screen Mode" to select from the "View" drop down menu. I use the standard screen mode, but you might find yourself more comfortable using one of the others.

From the "Window" drop down menu make sure you have the "Navigator" panel checked.
In this panel you will be able to zoom in and out and by moving the red box in the navigator panel thumbnail you will be able to move around the main window.

Here is what my CS5 workspace looks like. I have circled the navigator pane and the two drop down menus.
< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/screenshot_13w.jpg >

Also, if you have activated "Open GL" in the CS5 Preferences "Performance" section, by checking "Enable OpenGL Drawing" once you enlarge to 600% or greater in the Navigator panel you will have a pixel level view in the main window. This selection will also allow you to navigate around the working image by clicking and "flipping" in the direction you want to move when using the "Hand" tool. < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/screenshot_11.jpg > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/screenshot_09.jpg >

Have fun.

Regards,

Savageduck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections