S
Posted By
SS
Aug 24, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to produce a 7.5 inch circle which I will then cut out. How do I do this so that when it prints on an A4 sheet it is the correct size?

thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Savageduck
Aug 24, 2011
On 2011-08-24 11:17:19 -0700, "SS" said:

I need to produce a 7.5 inch circle which I will then cut out. How do I do this so that when it prints on an A4 sheet it is the correct size?

thanks

In Photoshop it is quite simple, and can be done several ways. Here is one way:

1: Create a new document large enough for your circle. Since you are using inches set your rulers to read in inches.

2: I assume you are referring to diameter when you say 7.5 inch circle. So now set some guides. Do this by moving your cursor to any of the rulers (it should now appear as an arrow). Pull the first one down to a mid-point on an inch mark. Do the same in the other orientation. Now you should have a document quartered by guide lines.

3: Now set 4 more guides, each 3.75 inches from the center point. This will give you a square 7.5×7.5.

4: Choose the ellipse tool. Start by placing the ellipse tool cursor at the top right hand corner of the square. Pull it down to the bottom right hand corner of the square. Then move it over to the left until the circle fits in the square. There is your correct sized 7.5 inch circle.
< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/screenshot_06A.jpg >

Regards,

Savageduck
S
SS
Aug 24, 2011
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

thanks

1: Create a new document large enough for your circle. Since you are using inches set your rulers to read in inches.

2: I assume you are referring to diameter when you say 7.5 inch circle. So now set some guides. Do this by moving your cursor to any of the rulers (it should now appear as an arrow). Pull the first one down to a mid-point on an inch mark. Do the same in the other orientation. Now you should have a document quartered by guide lines.

3: Now set 4 more guides, each 3.75 inches from the center point. This will give you a square 7.5×7.5.

4: Choose the ellipse tool. Start by placing the ellipse tool cursor at the top right hand corner of the square. Pull it down to the bottom right hand corner of the square. Then move it over to the left until the circle fits in the square. There is your correct sized 7.5 inch circle. < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/screenshot_06A.jpg >

Regards,

Savageduck
Thanks for that, that will save me doing trial and error.
S
SS
Aug 24, 2011
"SS" wrote in message

thanks

4: Choose the ellipse tool. Start by placing the ellipse tool cursor at the top right hand corner of the square. Pull it down to the bottom right hand corner of the square. Then move it over to the left until the circle fits in the square. There is your correct sized 7.5 inch circle. < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/screenshot_06A.jpg >

Regards,

Savageduck
UPDATE………

Followed your instructions and worked first time (unusual for me) and measurements spot on.

thank you
S
Savageduck
Aug 25, 2011
On 2011-08-24 15:05:39 -0700, "SS" said:

"SS" wrote in message

thanks

Regards,

Savageduck
UPDATE………

Followed your instructions and worked first time (unusual for me) and measurements spot on.

thank you

Glad that worked for you. There is always a way with PS. 😉

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Aug 25, 2011
"SS" wrote in message
"SS" wrote in message

I need to produce a 7.5 inch circle which I will then cut out. How do I do this so that when it prints on an A4 sheet it is the correct
size?

thanks

Regards,

Savageduck
UPDATE………

thank you
Don’t need a circle right now, but good to know!
JJ
John J Stafford
Aug 27, 2011
In article ,
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

\

2: I assume you are referring to diameter when you say 7.5 inch circle. So now set some guides. Do this by moving your cursor to any of the rulers (it should now appear as an arrow). P

Way too much trouble. There is a setting for creating an ellipse in the shape icon (left column) (an ellipse can be a circle, of course). Just type in the dimension you want in the top menu. It’s found by clicking the little down-arrow by the shape icon.) You can even tell it to grow from the middle of the cursor, and move it around afterwords
S
Savageduck
Aug 27, 2011
On 2011-08-26 19:50:09 -0700, John J Stafford said:

In article ,
\

2: I assume you are referring to diameter when you say 7.5 inch circle. So now set some guides. Do this by moving your cursor to any of the rulers (it should now appear as an arrow). P

Way too much trouble. There is a setting for creating an ellipse in the shape icon (left column) (an ellipse can be a circle, of course). Just type in the dimension you want in the top menu. It’s found by clicking the little down-arrow by the shape icon.) You can even tell it to grow from the middle of the cursor, and move it around afterwords

See! There are all sorts of ways of doing things with PS. 😉

Regards,

Savageduck
S
SS
Aug 28, 2011
On 2011-08-26 19:50:09 -0700, John J Stafford
said:

In article ,
\

Regards,

Savageduck
Ok the settings for the size, I have found that but how do I convert pixels to inches, which is the diameter ( 7.5) that I want.
I dont see a setting to change pixels/cm/inches etc
TC
tony cooper
Aug 28, 2011
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:43:34 +0100, "SS"
wrote:

said:

In article ,
\

Regards,

Savageduck
Ok the settings for the size, I have found that but how do I convert pixels to inches, which is the diameter ( 7.5) that I want.
You enter "7.5 in" in width and height when you have "fixed size" in "Style". The default may be "px", but you can enter "in".

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
S
SS
Aug 28, 2011
"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:43:34 +0100, "SS"
wrote:

said:

In article ,
\

2: I assume you are referring to diameter when you say 7.5 inch circle.
So now set some guides. Do this by moving your cursor to any of the rulers (it should now appear as an arrow). P

Regards,

Savageduck
Ok the settings for the size, I have found that but how do I convert pixels
to inches, which is the diameter ( 7.5) that I want.
You enter "7.5 in" in width and height when you have "fixed size" in "Style". The default may be "px", but you can enter "in".

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida

OK got it now, thats much easier than previous method and does allow me to position easier as well.
However both versions have been more knowledge gained.
so thanks to both.
U
Ulysses
Sep 2, 2011
4: Choose the ellipse tool. Start by placing the ellipse tool cursor at the top right hand corner of the square. Pull it down to the bottom right hand corner of the square. Then move it over to the left until the circle fits in the square. There is your correct sized 7.5 inch circle. Savageduck
good tip, thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections