How can I move a selected text block numerically in 5.5?

RM
Posted By
Robert Montgomery
Aug 17, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
bdchmura
Aug 17, 2011
you should be able to move it by choosing the Move tool and using the L/R arrows to move it one pixel at a time or holding Shift and moving it ten pixels at a time.

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

On 17/08/2011 2:07 AM, Robert Montgomery wrote:
U
Ulysses
Aug 17, 2011
you should be able to move it by choosing the Move tool and using the L/R arrows to move it one pixel at a time or holding Shift and moving it ten pixels at a time.

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

Knew of the move tool and that crossed my mind
but did not know of the options, thank you
RM
Robert Montgomery
Aug 18, 2011
gar wrote:

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

Thanks, Gar.

Os there an easier way?

I want to move the text 12 inches to the right. If I shift-click in ten-point increments, I have to click it 90 times. (Seventy-two pixels per inch x 12 inches = 864 pixels divided by ten = 86.4. So I’d have to click 86 times for each group of ten pixels, plus four times for the last four pixels = 90 clicks just to move one selection of text.)

This would be too cumbersome.

Robert
S
Savageduck
Aug 18, 2011
On 2011-08-17 17:18:36 -0700, Robert Montgomery
said:

gar wrote:

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

Thanks, Gar.

Os there an easier way?

I want to move the text 12 inches to the right. If I shift-click in ten-point increments, I have to click it 90 times. (Seventy-two pixels per inch x 12 inches = 864 pixels divided by ten = 86.4. So I’d have to click 86 times for each group of ten pixels, plus four times for the last four pixels = 90 clicks just to move one selection of text.)

Robert

I just set some guides after I had entered the text. I then move a new guide to the right to the point where I want the text to start. Then I use the move tool and shift he entire text block to the new position. No clicking and the text is precisely relocated.
Here is the A-B comparison with the guides in place.
< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/TextShift_08.jpg >

Regards,

Savageduck
RM
Robert Montgomery
Aug 18, 2011
Savageduck wrote:
On 2011-08-17 17:18:36 -0700, Robert Montgomery
said:

gar wrote:

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

Thanks, Gar.

Os there an easier way?

Robert

I just set some guides after I had entered the text. I then move a new guide to the right to the point where I want the text to start. Then I use the move tool and shift he entire text block to the new position.
No clicking and the text is precisely relocated.
Here is the A-B comparison with the guides in place.
< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/TextShift_08.jpg >

Thanks a lot, Savageduck. I looked at your screen snapshot and I understand. I have been using that method.

However, I had been expecting that there is a numeric moving function similar to Indesign’s Object > Transform > Move/Copy. But apparently such a function doesn’t exist in Photoshop.

Robert
B
bdchmura
Aug 20, 2011
Ok, Robert, now I think I understand but I’m not sure you have the same options in PShop 5.5.

Try this. Select your object/layer and go to Edit, Transform, Scale( or just R-click to do the same).

On the property bar on the left is the Reference Point Location inputs. Choose a location in the grid icon and type in the number of pixels you want to move your object in the X and Y boxes.

HTH this time

Gar

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections