RF
Posted By
Robert Feinman
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve noticed that photoshop inserts a document id into the metadata of the files that it edits.
It would seem that this id needs to be based upon the serial number to ensure that it is unique.
If this is the case then there is a potential privacy issue since any time a file is distributed in could, in theory, be traced back to the copy of photoshop that produced it.
Also, if the image is the result of a capture from a digital camera information about the photographer could be deduced as well.

I can foresee situations in which the creator would prefer to be untraceable.
So, does anyone know how the id is created and if it’s possible to eliminate or modify it?

Robert D Feinman
Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
http://robertdfeinman.com
mail:

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

V
Voivod
Nov 4, 2003
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:38:07 -0500, Robert D Feinman
scribbled:

I’ve noticed that photoshop inserts a document id into the metadata of the files that it edits.
It would seem that this id needs to be based upon the serial number to ensure that it is unique.
If this is the case then there is a potential privacy issue since any time a file is distributed in could, in theory, be traced back to the copy of photoshop that produced it.
Also, if the image is the result of a capture from a digital camera information about the photographer could be deduced as well.
So, does anyone know how the id is created and if it’s possible to eliminate or modify it?

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html
MP
Marc Pawliger
Nov 4, 2003
In article , Robert D
Feinman wrote:

The ID is not based on any personal information, nor the serial number, nor the activation key, nor the Ethernet MAC, or any other data to uniquely identify you or your computer. It is meant to be a unique ID for the document itself.

–marc

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections