D
Posted By
donest
Apr 15, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The cursor for the erase tool is usually a circle. We just upgraded to CS5 and when I try to use the erase tool and make the cursor larger (by pressing ] ), it begins to disappear! At size 35 I only have a semi circle. If I make it any bigger, it gets progressively worse. I am running CS5 (latest version) on a Dell Precision 380 with 4 gigs of ram, Quadro FX3450, Windows XP 32 bit serv pack 3. Any ideas?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

N
nomail
Apr 15, 2011
donest wrote:
The cursor for the erase tool is usually a circle. We just upgraded to CS5 and when I try to use the erase tool and make the cursor larger (by pressing ] ), it begins to disappear! At size 35 I only have a semi circle. If I make it any bigger, it gets progressively worse. I am running CS5 (latest version) on a Dell Precision 380 with 4 gigs of ram, Quadro FX3450, Windows XP 32 bit serv pack 3. Any ideas?

You may need an update of your graphics card driver.

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
S
Savageduck
Apr 15, 2011
On 2011-04-15 10:34:21 -0700, donest said:

I have no issues with the CS5 "Erase Tool" key board size adjust on my
3.6 Ghz Core i5 Mac, with 8 GB ram, running in 64 bit mode.

It does sound as if you have a graphics card issue, or shrinking scratch disc space.

Have you made an inquiry with Adobe Support?

Regards,

Savageduck
H
Helmut
Apr 15, 2011
On 16/04/2011 3:34 AM, donest wrote:
—————

This is a well documented issue with early graphics cards. It is not always fixed by just updating the card driver. CS 3 and up versions of Photoshop make use of Open GL technology.

Many pre-CS version users were happy enough to use 2D cards. In fact a $50 graphics card was often over kill if all you wanted to do was edit in Photoshop.

Not so today. As soon as Adobe began offering a version able to edit video, it coincided with the need for some pretty fancy graphics cards. The missing circle thing is a graphics memory issue. Fix it and you’ll find another issue with the type of circle unless you keep PS patched.

Open GL is not essential for use of Photoshop. You can turn it off in preferences dialogue found under the edit menu item. You can also ‘play’ with the setting to see exactly where your PC is happiest working.

Full enabled it shows content during dragging and a few other visual tricks that may or may not be useful to you. I find some of them are very useful so I just bought a Radeon 5800 graphics card and discovered I then needed to up the power supply to use it!

The upgrade path is no longer just a matter of installing software. You need to mindful of other matters or you’ll end up spending more money than you need to.

BTW… Another tip is to install a solid state Drive and put your scratch disk on it. The increased speed once PS starts using virtual memory is well worth the cost if you are in a production environment.

My recommendation for upgrading to PS CS5 enhanced is:
The software
Minimum Radeon 5800 + 1 gig RAM graphics card.
Minimum True 750 watt continuous supply power supply. More if you have several HDDs.
And pay attention to extreme cooling of all components if you live in Australia or a similar environment.

Good luck,
HH
D
donest
Apr 19, 2011
On Apr 15, 7:59 pm, Helmut wrote:
On 16/04/2011 3:34 AM, donest wrote:> The cursor for the erase tool is usually a circle. We just upgraded to
CS5 and when I try to use the erase tool and make the cursor larger (by pressing ] ), it begins to disappear! At size 35 I only have a semi circle. If I make it any bigger, it gets progressively worse. I am running CS5 (latest version) on a Dell Precision 380 with 4 gigs of ram, Quadro FX3450, Windows XP 32 bit serv pack 3. Any ideas?

—————

This is a well documented issue with early graphics cards. It is not always fixed by just updating the card driver. CS 3 and up versions of Photoshop make use of Open GL technology.

Many pre-CS version users were happy enough to use 2D cards. In fact a $50 graphics card was often over kill if all you wanted to do was edit in Photoshop.

Not so today. As soon as Adobe began offering a version able to edit video, it coincided with the need for some pretty fancy graphics cards. The missing circle thing is a graphics memory issue. Fix it and you’ll find another issue with the type of circle unless you keep PS patched.
Open GL is not essential for use of Photoshop. You can turn it off in preferences dialogue found under the edit menu item. You can also ‘play’ with the setting to see exactly where your PC is happiest working.
Full enabled it shows content during dragging and a few other visual tricks that may or may not be useful to you. I find some of them are very useful so I just bought a Radeon 5800 graphics card and discovered I then needed to up the power supply to use it!

The upgrade path is no longer just a matter of installing software. You need to mindful of other matters or you’ll end up spending more money than you need to.

BTW… Another tip is to install a solid state Drive and put your scratch disk on it. The increased speed once PS starts using virtual memory is well worth the cost if you are in a production environment.
The software
Minimum True 750 watt continuous supply power supply. More if you have several HDDs.
And pay attention to extreme cooling of all components if you live in Australia or a similar environment.

Good luck,
HH

The Quadro series of video cards is pretty high end. We originally got them because they are recommended for high end 3D modeling programs (where GeForce and Radeon gaming cards usually do not do well, if at all). I use Autodesk Alias Surface Studio, and the card runs it pretty well. They fully support open GL, so I’m guessing that is not the problem. It COULD be the driver, I suppose, but I am limited to the drivers (2) that Alias supports.
It may be that in the card settings I have selected the Alias profile. I could try a more generic profile, or look to see if there is one for Adobe products. Thanks for all of your help/suggestions. It certainly does seem to be a video problem.
D
donest
Apr 19, 2011
Google is so darn useful, eh? All I had to do was turn down the hardware acceleration one notch and it works fine now!
see here if interested…
http://www.ddroom.com/memos/2010/11/30/solving-the-case-of-t he-disappearing-brush-cursor-in-photoshop-cs5/
D
donest
Apr 19, 2011
Turning down the hardware acceleration one notch solved the problem. (I Googled it) Thx all
D
donest
Apr 19, 2011
On Apr 19, 11:29 am, donest wrote:
On Apr 15, 7:59 pm, Helmut wrote:

On 16/04/2011 3:34 AM, donest wrote:> The cursor for the erase tool is usually a circle. We just upgraded to
CS5 and when I try to use the erase tool and make the cursor larger (by pressing ] ), it begins to disappear! At size 35 I only have a semi circle. If I make it any bigger, it gets progressively worse. I am running CS5 (latest version) on a Dell Precision 380 with 4 gigs of ram, Quadro FX3450, Windows XP 32 bit serv pack 3. Any ideas?

—————

The software

Good luck,
HH

The Quadro series of video cards is pretty high end. We originally got them because they are recommended for high end 3D modeling programs (where GeForce and Radeon gaming cards usually do not do well, if at all). I use Autodesk Alias Surface Studio, and the card runs it pretty well. They fully support open GL, so I’m guessing that is not the problem. It COULD be the driver, I suppose, but I am limited to the drivers (2) that Alias supports.
It may be that in the card settings I have selected the Alias profile. I could try a more generic profile, or look to see if there is one for Adobe products. Thanks for all of your help/suggestions. It certainly does seem to be a video problem.- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Turning down hardware acceleration one notch fixed the problem. (3rd time I’ve posted this, sorry if the others show uo)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections