W
Posted By
w
Dec 10, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know why Adobe didn’t include the Extract tool in CS4 and later? I got used to it in CS3 and found it pretty handy, though far from perfect. Are there plans for bringing it back in some form? Just curious.

Rocketman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TC
tony cooper
Dec 10, 2010
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 02:58:04 -0800, darkman
wrote:

Does anyone know why Adobe didn’t include the Extract tool in CS4 and later? I got used to it in CS3 and found it pretty handy, though far from perfect. Are there plans for bringing it back in some form? Just curious.

Rocketman

Dunno why Adobe made the decision, but if you want to use the Extract tool, just go to a previous version of Photoshop with this feature, copy the Extract tool file, and drop it in CS4 in the same hierarchy position. I did from Photoshop 7.0.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
S
SumWan
Dec 10, 2010
"tony cooper" wrote in message
wrote:

Rocketman
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4047
S
SumWan
Dec 10, 2010
"SumWan" wrote in message
wrote:

Rocketman

For Windows
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4048
W
w
Dec 10, 2010
On 12/10/2010 8:04 AM, SumWan wrote:
"SumWan" wrote in message
wrote:

Rocketman

For Windows
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4048

It worked. Thanks to all.
N
nomail
Dec 10, 2010
darkman wrote:

It was replaced by ‘Refine Edge’ and ‘Refine Mask’. You can still use it for a while if you use a 32 bits version of Photoshop, but if you upgrade to 64 bits it’s gone forever. I don’t think it will come back.

Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
D
Drogon
Dec 11, 2010
the transfer also works with CS5
make sure it is placed in proper folder
Plug-ins ….filters
J
Joel
Dec 19, 2010
darkman wrote:

Rocketman

I have looked at the Extract Tool of earlier version of Photoshop (probably the 1st and 2nd release) and not impress with the result.

I would suggest you to spend more time learning the Quick Mask (Layer Mask is usually the best option), and if you really want to take advantage of plug-in for quick, lacking Masking skill, or you have lot of photo to mask then I would suggest the Vertus Fluid Mask which is a very good plug-in.

The company seems to lower the price, fixing the annoying registration etc.. (I am not 100% sure). But I have tested the Fuild Mask couple years ago and it is/was a good plug-in. I don’t use plug-in but testing to learn what Photoshop is capable of (I can learn something by seeing what other does)

IOW, the Photoshop’s Extract Tool isn’t that good, it may be ok for some newbie to mess with it, but I wouldn’t recomment to regular user to use it.
TC
tony cooper
Dec 19, 2010
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:55:08 -0600, Joel wrote:

darkman wrote:

Rocketman

I have looked at the Extract Tool of earlier version of Photoshop (probably the 1st and 2nd release) and not impress with the result.
I would suggest you to spend more time learning the Quick Mask (Layer Mask is usually the best option), and if you really want to take advantage of plug-in for quick, lacking Masking skill,

While I copied Extract Tool from 7.0 to CS4, I rarely use it. I prefer to work with a layer mask. However, I can understand someone getting used to a tool and wanting to be able to continue to use it.

or you have lot of photo to mask
then I would suggest the Vertus Fluid Mask which is a very good plug-in.

At $149, it’s not even the best masking add-on.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
F
fillyflash
Dec 20, 2010
It’s been replace by refine edge: Much better

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:50:38 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

darkman wrote:

Rocketman

I would suggest you to spend more time learning the Quick Mask (Layer Mask is usually the best option), and if you really want to take advantage of plug-in for quick, lacking Masking skill,

While I copied Extract Tool from 7.0 to CS4, I rarely use it. I prefer to work with a layer mask. However, I can understand someone getting used to a tool and wanting to be able to continue to use it.

J
Joel
Dec 22, 2010
tony cooper wrote:

darkman wrote:

Rocketman

If you have lot of added-on to mask out, then $150 may worth the $$$. IOW, I am looking at using $$ to make $$$$$$$ here, not just for folk staring at the plug-in for nothing.

And if you know it well enough then you may find that it’s one of the very best masking plug-in. The other plug-in you may want to take a look at is EZ-Mask which is simpler and work quite well with flying hair. They both work little different than each other, and if I have to pick then I would go with Fluid Mask.

EZ-Mask works as Layer Mask instead of masked layer, but if you know Photoshop well enough then you should be able to (simulate) do the similar.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections