Does Adobe say when an upgrade option will expire?

F
Posted By
friesian
Oct 30, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I currently have CS2, which is the oldest version that upgrade to CS5 at the $199 price. The last time I upgraded, was from 5.5 to CS2 because I switched to a digital SLR and needed a newer version.

I would like to get CS5 soon as there are some newer features I would like. But I have a few other things that are higher priority right now (saving up for a serious vet bill right now), so I’m hoping to wait until after Christmas.

But I am concerned that if I wait too long, I will have to start all over again with a full purchase price. I’ve already invested over $700 the first time and another $199 for the upgrade. So, I would rather not start over.

Does Adobe post a date when they no longer allow a certain level to upgrade, or could it just happen at a random time?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
catfish
Oct 30, 2010
go here and see
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/upgrade/

usually, generally, the older the version you desire to upgrade from, the more the cost – Adobe wants to make up for the revenue lost because you didn’t do every upgrade as they came out.

"" wrote:
I currently have CS2, which is the oldest version that upgrade to CS5 at the $199 price. The last time I upgraded, was from 5.5 to CS2 because I switched to a digital SLR and needed a newer version.
I would like to get CS5 soon as there are some newer features I would like. But I have a few other things that are higher priority right now (saving up for a serious vet bill right now), so I’m hoping to wait until after Christmas.

But I am concerned that if I wait too long, I will have to start all over again with a full purchase price. I’ve already invested over $700 the first time and another $199 for the upgrade. So, I would rather not start over.

Does Adobe post a date when they no longer allow a certain level to upgrade, or could it just happen at a random time?
J
Joel
Oct 30, 2010
"" wrote:

Adobe has their policy changed few years ago that they only offering the upgrading price to 2-3 older versions. Many other companies did the similar and they don’t seem to follow the original policy when people bought their first version/model (I am talking about both software and hardware related)

Right now there is no other way but PRAYING for you to win some lottery. Or you may have to go for the Educatinal Price deal.

I am using CS3 right now, and my health isn’t so great so I hardly use Photoshop for almost 3 years.
F
friesian
Oct 31, 2010
On Oct 30, 10:29 am, ""
wrote:
go here and seehttp://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/upgrade/
usually, generally, the older the version you desire to upgrade from, the more the cost – Adobe wants to make up for the revenue lost because you didn’t do every upgrade as they came out.

Thanks, but I was actually trying to find out if there is a known date when CS2 will no longer be able to upgrade. Of if it could happen at any time.

I already know that CS2 can currently upgrade. It happens to be the lowest version that can, so at some point, it will drop off the list. The website does not currently say if that will be soon. And I have never looked in the past, so I don’t know if the website *ever* says when an older version will be removed from the list. The last time I upgraded was because I needed the newer features. I’m not in a hurry to upgrade this time. I just found out that may not be able to if I wait too long, so I better do it soon, or I will have to start over.

I would assume that some people have an idea of how often the upgrades happen and how often an older version gets dropped off the list.
F
friesian
Oct 31, 2010
On Oct 30, 11:49 am, Joel wrote:
"" wrote:

Adobe has their policy changed few years ago that they only offering the upgrading price to 2-3 older versions.  Many other companies did the similar and they don’t seem to follow the original policy when people bought their first version/model (I am talking about both software and hardware related)

I understand the policy. I have no problem with that.

Does ANYBODY know how long CS2 will still be able to upgrade?

For example, do I need to upgrade this month, or will I still be able to upgrade in January or February? I know I can afford to upgrade in January. But if it won’t work then, I need to skip something else and upgrade now.

I’m not questioning the policy, just wondering if anybody knows WHEN the oldest version will drop off the list.
D
Dave
Oct 31, 2010
On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 00:20:13 -0700 (PDT), ""
wrote:
I’m not questioning the policy, just wondering if anybody knows WHEN the oldest version will drop off the list.

Maybe the right thing to do would be to email Adobe themselves with the question. Their answer should be not completely risk free, but at least less risky.
F
friesian
Oct 31, 2010
On Oct 31, 2:06 am, Dave wrote:

wrote:

Maybe the right thing to do would be to email Adobe themselves with the question. Their answer should be not completely risk free, but at least less risky.

I’m waiting for their response, but if it says right away, then I would have to wonder if that is the truth or just a sales pitch. I really don’t expefct a response though. Back when I bought the full version 5.5 and later when I upgraded to CS2, there were supposed to be 2 free issues of the Photoshop magazine. I never got one, either time. I sent emails both times, and never got a response to either.

I love their software, but their service sucks.
C
catfish
Oct 31, 2010
my guess is that CS2 will drop off when CS6 somes out – maybe a year from now??

"" wrote:
wrote:

Thanks, but I was actually trying to find out if there is a known date when CS2 will no longer be able to upgrade. Of if it could happen at any time.

I already know that CS2 can currently upgrade. It happens to be the lowest version that can, so at some point, it will drop off the list. The website does not currently say if that will be soon. And I have never looked in the past, so I don’t know if the website *ever* says when an older version will be removed from the list. The last time I upgraded was because I needed the newer features. I’m not in a hurry to upgrade this time. I just found out that may not be able to if I wait too long, so I better do it soon, or I will have to start over.
I would assume that some people have an idea of how often the upgrades happen and how often an older version gets dropped off the list.
J
Joel
Oct 31, 2010
"" wrote:

On Oct 30, 11:49 am, Joel wrote:
"" wrote:

Adobe has their policy changed few years ago that they only offering the upgrading price to 2-3 older versions.  Many other companies did the similar and they don’t seem to follow the original policy when people bought their first version/model (I am talking about both software and hardware related)

I understand the policy. I have no problem with that.

Does ANYBODY know how long CS2 will still be able to upgrade?
For example, do I need to upgrade this month, or will I still be able to upgrade in January or February? I know I can afford to upgrade in January. But if it won’t work then, I need to skip something else and upgrade now.

In general, the end of the cycle should be the beniging of the newer cycle (newer release). I read some talk that it’s only good for 2 older versions, and I am not 100% how they count it. Example

"CS2 -> CS5" or "CS3 – CS5"

P.S. I am using CS4 not CS3 like I mistyped
J
Joel
Oct 31, 2010
"" wrote:

wrote:

I’m waiting for their response, but if it says right away, then I would have to wonder if that is the truth or just a sales pitch. I really don’t expefct a response though. Back when I bought the full version 5.5 and later when I upgraded to CS2, there were supposed to be 2 free issues of the Photoshop magazine. I never got one, either time. I sent emails both times, and never got a response to either.

I got my first FULL version of Photoshop way back in 80’s when a flat-bed scanner company offered extra $100 for FULL version of Photoshop. Back then Adobe included the DEMO version of Photoshop in many hardwares like printer, scanner, camera, laptop, sometime even hard drive. And they offered $250 to upgrade from the DEMO to full version etc.. (sometime they had some $150-200 upgrading deal etc..)
F
friesian
Nov 1, 2010
On Oct 31, 4:42 pm, Joel wrote:
"" wrote:

wrote:

I’m waiting for their response, but if it says right away, then I would have to wonder if that is the truth or just a sales pitch.  I really don’t expefct a response though. Back when I bought the full version 5.5 and later when I upgraded to CS2, there were supposed to be 2 free issues of the Photoshop magazine. I never got one, either time. I sent emails both times, and never got a response to either.

I got my first FULL version of Photoshop way back in 80’s when a flat-bed scanner company offered extra $100 for FULL version of Photoshop.  Back then Adobe included the DEMO version of Photoshop in many hardwares like printer, scanner, camera, laptop, sometime even hard drive.  And they offered $250 to upgrade from the DEMO to full version etc.. (sometime they had some $150-200 upgrading deal etc..)

I forgot about that one. It didn’t have a number back then, so it was really old. That was back on a windows 3.1 computer and 24MB hard drive.
F
friesian
Nov 1, 2010
On Oct 31, 10:39 am, ""
wrote:
my guess is that CS2 will drop off when CS6 somes out – maybe a year from now??

"" wrote:
wrote:

I would assume  that some people have an idea of how often the upgrades happen and how often an older version gets dropped off the list.

It looks like I am probably okay for a few months. I did the live chat thing, and I think it really was a human. Most of the answers sounded canned and were very delayed. But when I asked if I was really talking to a human and stated that the answer was to a different question, then the answer was clarified and did say that I would still be able to upgrade from CS2 in 2 months. No actual date though. My goal is to buy it after Christmas. It does have some newer features that I would love to try out, so the sooner the better anyway.
T
Talker
Nov 5, 2010
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 02:50:50 -0700 (PDT), ""
wrote:

I did this with version CS3. I had version 7 and needed to upgrade to version CS3 since anything after that meant I’d have to pay the full price. What I did was to wait till version CS4 came out, then I went to Amazon and bought version CS3.
When the new version comes out, the old version will still be available for a while from other vendors. I doubt that Adobe would keep selling the old version once they release the new version, so you have to go to a third party….like Amazon. The thing is, once I see that the new version had been released, I’d hurry to buy the old version because they will sell out fast.

Talker

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections