R
Posted By
rdoc2
Oct 5, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to select my grand daughter in a picture and move her to a new background and my question is should I feather the selection and if so how much should I feather it? Both pictures are 8 x 10 inches each and the resolutions are 300 pixels/inch each. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

I
Infinitech
Oct 5, 2010
Assuming you got CS5, as stated in a previous post…You should be able to see by yourself the effects of feathering your "cut-out" via the "masks" panel (as well as the density and the ways to refine your mask) given that your grand daughter is saved with her own layer with a mask (visible in the channel panel) which is HIGHLY advisable…For more information with the masks, go and read the manual…
HTH.

———–
www.imaginerie.org

"RDOC" wrote in message
I want to select my grand daughter in a picture and move her to a new background and my question is should I feather the selection and if so how much should I feather it? Both pictures are 8 x 10 inches each and the resolutions are 300 pixels/inch each. Thanks.
J
Joel
Oct 5, 2010
RDOC wrote:

Yes and No. It depends on your Masking and Blending skill. Many moons ago I did use the feather to reduce the error, but it only for displaying not for printing. So I spent more time to improve the Masking skill and I haven’t used feather for many years, and I do for large printing not displaying.

So, for displaying or may be 4×6 print you may be able to get around with minor error (around the edge), but for large printing like 8×10" or 24×36" then the INK will be visible (very ugly, very unprofessional).

The other trick to hide/reduce the error (hi-liting) around the edge is using the background has similar color to forground, or combination with busy background so you can hide the hi-liting around the edge.
R
rdoc2
Oct 5, 2010
On Oct 5, 3:06 pm, Joel wrote:
RDOC wrote:

Yes and No.  It depends on your Masking and Blending skill.  Many moons ago I did use the feather to reduce the error, but it only for displaying not for printing.  So I spent more time to improve the Masking skill and I haven’t used feather for many years, and I do for large printing not displaying.

So, for displaying or may be 4×6 print you may be able to get around with minor error (around the edge), but for large printing like 8×10" or 24×36" then the INK will be visible (very ugly, very unprofessional).
        The other trick to hide/reduce the error (hi-liting) around the edge is using the background has similar color to forground, or combination with busy background so you can hide the hi-liting around the edge.

Thanks Joel.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections