keyboard shorcut for brightness/contrast?

PM
Posted By
Paul Melzer
Jun 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I think I must be missing something, but is there a keyboard shortcut for image/ adjustment/ brightness/contrast?

Thanks, Paul

Mac OSX, PS7

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
edjh
Jun 12, 2004
Paul Melzer wrote:

Hi,

I think I must be missing something, but is there a keyboard shortcut for image/ adjustment/ brightness/contrast?

Thanks, Paul

Mac OSX, PS7

I don’t think so. Make an action bringing up the dialog. Use Insert Menu Item to do this and tie it to a function key.

It might be possible top make a custom keyboard command in CS, but I’m not sure.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
B
bhilton665
Jun 12, 2004

Most experienced users would put this on an adjustment layer so they’d have more flexibility … if you have the Layers palette open it’s two clicks away (click on the half-filled circle icon at the bottom of the palette, then click ‘brightness/contrast’ to open a new adjustment layer.

Not to be a nag but most experienced users would make these tonal adjustments with Curves or Levels instead of B/C since B/C is linear and that’s rarely what you want when dealing with images.
PM
Paul Melzer
Jun 12, 2004
In article ,
(Bill Hilton) wrote:

Most experienced users would put this on an adjustment layer so they’d have more flexibility … if you have the Layers palette open it’s two clicks away (click on the half-filled circle icon at the bottom of the palette, then click
‘brightness/contrast’ to open a new adjustment layer.

Not to be a nag but most experienced users would make these tonal adjustments with Curves or Levels instead of B/C since B/C is linear and that’s rarely what
you want when dealing with images.

Honestly, I’ve not become familiar enought with curves and levels to work them quickly. I know that what you’re saying is spot on, though…and yes, I’ve been dragging my feet about learning it. Been using them primarily for quick images for online sales, with not much time allowed to work the images, so the finesse isn’t called for [as much] –though I might even disagree with myself there.

At any rate, thanks for the answers to my query.

Paul
V
V1nc3nt
Jun 12, 2004
"Paul Melzer" wrote in message
In article ,
(Bill Hilton) wrote:

Most experienced users would put this on an adjustment layer so they’d
have
more flexibility … if you have the Layers palette open it’s two clicks
away
(click on the half-filled circle icon at the bottom of the palette, then click

Not to be a nag but most experienced users would make these tonal
adjustments
with Curves or Levels instead of B/C since B/C is linear and that’s
rarely
what

Honestly, I’ve not become familiar enought with curves and levels to work them quickly. I know that what you’re saying is spot on, though…and yes, I’ve been dragging my feet about learning it. Been using them primarily for quick images for online sales, with not much time allowed to work the images, so the finesse isn’t called for [as much] –though I might even disagree with myself there.
Paul,

I agree that Curves are somewhat difficult, but playing around with Levels a little, shows you that it’s so much more stronger & flexible than B/C and it’s not so difficult to understand. Just try it. And yes, use Adjustment Layers when you can. When you want to let the Adjustment Layer only to have effect to one ore more layers (but not all), put those layers in a set and set the Blending Mode of the set from "Pass Through" to "Normal".
T
tacitr
Jun 13, 2004

No. And in general, you should not use Brightness/Contrast. It’s good for newbies just learning Photoshop, but once you’ve progressed, you won’t use it any more.

Brightness/Contrast is a "linear" command. When you use it, it degrades the quality of your image by removing ("clippng") hilight and/or shadow detail.

Instead, learn to use the Curves command (Command/Control-M). Absolutely, positively everything that Brightness/Contrast can do, Curves can do too–but Curves also lets you do a whole lot more (like increasing or decreasing contrast in only one tonal range, changing color, and so on). And Curves is a "nonlinear" command, meaning it does not degrade your picture by clipping detail.

Once you learn to use Curves, you’ll probably never use Brightness/Contrast again.

Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century.
Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
PM
Paul Melzer
Jun 13, 2004
In article <6mMyc.7781$>,
"V1nc3nt" wrote:

"Paul Melzer" wrote in message
In article ,
(Bill Hilton) wrote:

Most experienced users would put this on an adjustment layer so they’d
have
more flexibility … if you have the Layers palette open it’s two clicks
away

adjustments
with Curves or Levels instead of B/C since B/C is linear and that’s
rarely
what

Paul,

I agree that Curves are somewhat difficult, but playing around with Levels a little, shows you that it’s so much more stronger & flexible than B/C and it’s not so difficult to understand. Just try it. And yes, use Adjustment Layers when you can. When you want to let the Adjustment Layer only to have effect to one ore more layers (but not all), put those layers in a set and set the Blending Mode of the set from "Pass Through" to "Normal".

Thanks for your suggestions, Vincent! Time for me to jump [farther] in and explore.
N
noone
Jun 26, 2004
In article ,
says…
In article ,
(Bill Hilton) wrote:

Most experienced users would put this on an adjustment layer so they’d have more flexibility … if you have the Layers palette open it’s two clicks
away

adjustments
with Curves or Levels instead of B/C since B/C is linear and that’s rarely what

At any rate, thanks for the answers to my query.

Paul

A good place to start is with Ben Willmore’s PhotoshopCS Studio Techniques, Adobe Press. He does a nice job with Curves & Levels.

You can then do an action to create an Adjustment Layer, if clicking the icon is too much work. Otherwise, click the icon, and make the adjustments there. You will have to Flatten Layers if you use JPG to Save_As. Once you use Adjustment Layers (Levels & Curves) you will NEVER look back.

Hunt

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections