P
Posted By
PeoplesChoice
Sep 9, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve read the literature but I would like to hear from some photographers what they think about Lightroom and compare it to Photoshop. Will Photoshop do everything that Lightroom does or are they mutually exclusive? At $300, I’m wondering if Lightroom is worth the money. Please help me decide. Thank you…….

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jonz
Sep 9, 2010
On 9/8/2010 7:29 PM, wrote:
I’ve read the literature but I would like to hear from some photographers what they think about Lightroom and compare it to Photoshop. Will Photoshop do everything that Lightroom does or are they mutually exclusive? At $300, I’m wondering if Lightroom is worth the money. Please help me decide. Thank you…….

Download the 30 day free trial and see for yourself.

jonz
B
Bigguy2010
Sep 9, 2010
On 09/09/2010 03:29, wrote:

LR and PS are made for different uses;

LR is great for importing, catalogueing, tweaking digital photos.

PS is better for any serious editing, compositing, graphics production.

Get the LR 30day free trial and see if you like it…

I love LR – it’s my ‘go to’ app for handling photos.

PS gets used (by me) more for producing graphics or heavy picture manipulation.

Guy
P
PeoplesChoice
Sep 9, 2010
I haven’t used PS for about five years because of illness – so I’m not really up-to-speed on its’ capabilities. Therefore, downloading and using LR would not give me a balanced comparison. I’m really looking for opinions from those of you who use it compared to PS. Thanks.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:33:14 -0700, Jonz wrote:

On 9/8/2010 7:29 PM, wrote:

Download the 30 day free trial and see for yourself.

jonz
P
PeoplesChoice
Sep 9, 2010
On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 11:57:35 +0100, Bigguy2010 wrote:

On 09/09/2010 03:29, wrote:

LR and PS are made for different uses;

LR is great for importing, catalogueing, tweaking digital photos.
PS is better for any serious editing, compositing, graphics production.
Get the LR 30day free trial and see if you like it…

I love LR – it’s my ‘go to’ app for handling photos.

PS gets used (by me) more for producing graphics or heavy picture manipulation.

Guy

This is a little helpful. Would you mind elaborating or pointing out some comparitive issues?
J
Joel
Sep 9, 2010
wrote:

You either read it wrong or misunderstood the information the author is trying to say. But many LightRoom users don’t understand it either.

IOW, LightRoom and Photoshop are 2 different beats made for 2 different uses.

– LightRoom is a small part of Photoshop with most basic/standard adjusting commands inside fewer menus which makes thing much easier for newbie to master. And it’s a good tool for photographer to do some basic color/brightness etc. adjusting, and the newer has few basic repairing options similar to Photoshop.

Yes, if you need to do some adjusting and especially RAW formats then it’s a good tool and worth the money.

– Photoshop (it comes with ARC which is similar to LightRoom, I haven’t tried the current latest to know the differences) is for heavy user which requires much more time and energy to master it.

If you are young with lot of (learning) talent then I would suggest to spend time and energy on Photoshop instead. And you can use the ARC comes with Photoshop to handle the RAW formats while learning Photoshop.

I don’t use ARC and LightRoom for anything else but learning the programs to make sure I am not too far behind others, and Photoshop has always been my main program. Or none of my photos went to print-lab without passing Photoshop test. I started with ARC cames with CS2 so I am more familair with the old ARC than others which I have only played a very little.

And you may want to look for more information about the Educational offering.
PS
Paul Simon
Sep 10, 2010
The two programs are really different. I’m a photographer, first, and bought PS. I reluctantly bought LR to take a class and find that it is much more useful than PS for 90 per cent of the photographs that I work with. The ease with which I can manipulate light/dark, contrast, etc. in LR is vastly superior to what I can do in PS. Cataloging is different and better in many ways than with Bridge (part of PS.) I also use the publish to web module in LR which I think does an excellent job.

There are photos that need PS. Sophisticated layer masking, repair, panorama, focus stacking, etc.

Net, if you are an unsophisticated photographer, LR is your deal. If you want to go beyond that into sophisticated retouching, clone stamp, layer manipulation, masking, you’ll use PS.

If this all sounds too expensive, sign up for a class (<any class>) at a a community college and buy them at the bookstore. Don’t even bother to take the class.

Paul Simon
wrote in message
P
PeoplesChoice
Sep 10, 2010
To: Joel and Paul:

Thank you for the information – it sounds like just what I needed. I have used Photoshop before (I’m a photographer too) so I know what that app does. I’ve briefly seen the trial version of Lightroom so I know a *few* of its’ features. Thanks again for the guidance.

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:55:00 -0700, "Paul Simon" wrote:

The two programs are really different. I’m a photographer, first, and bought PS. I reluctantly bought LR to take a class and find that it is much more useful than PS for 90 per cent of the photographs that I work with. The ease with which I can manipulate light/dark, contrast, etc. in LR is vastly superior to what I can do in PS. Cataloging is different and better in many ways than with Bridge (part of PS.) I also use the publish to web module in LR which I think does an excellent job.

There are photos that need PS. Sophisticated layer masking, repair, panorama, focus stacking, etc.

Net, if you are an unsophisticated photographer, LR is your deal. If you want to go beyond that into sophisticated retouching, clone stamp, layer manipulation, masking, you’ll use PS.

If this all sounds too expensive, sign up for a class (<any class>) at a a community college and buy them at the bookstore. Don’t even bother to take the class.

Paul Simon
wrote in message
I
Infinitech
Sep 12, 2010
"I don’t use ARC and LightRoom for anything else but learning the programs" ARC or ACR?

———–
www.imaginerie.org

"Joel" wrote in message
wrote:

You either read it wrong or misunderstood the information the author is trying to say. But many LightRoom users don’t understand it either.

– LightRoom is a small part of Photoshop with most basic/standard adjusting
commands inside fewer menus which makes thing much easier for newbie to master. And it’s a good tool for photographer to do some basic color/brightness etc. adjusting, and the newer has few basic repairing options similar to Photoshop.

Yes, if you need to do some adjusting and especially RAW formats then it’s a good tool and worth the money.

– Photoshop (it comes with ARC which is similar to LightRoom, I haven’t tried the current latest to know the differences) is for heavy user which requires much more time and energy to master it.

If you are young with lot of (learning) talent then I would suggest to spend time and energy on Photoshop instead. And you can use the ARC comes with Photoshop to handle the RAW formats while learning Photoshop.
I don’t use ARC and LightRoom for anything else but learning the programs to make sure I am not too far behind others, and Photoshop has always been my main program. Or none of my photos went to print-lab without passing Photoshop test. I started with ARC cames with CS2 so I am more familair with the old ARC than others which I have only played a very little.
And you may want to look for more information about the Educational offering.
MJ
Michael J Davis
Sep 23, 2010
Joel was inspired to say
wrote:

– LightRoom is a small part of Photoshop with most basic/standard adjusting commands inside fewer menus which makes thing much easier for newbie to master. And it’s a good tool for photographer to do some basic color/brightness etc. adjusting, and the newer has few basic repairing options similar to Photoshop.

I’m on the edge of buying Lightroom, but to me the organisation part of it seems to be attractive. Why I hesitate is because of the 30,000 + images I need to import…

Mike

Michael J Davis

<><
"I never have taken a picture I’ve intended.
They’re always better or worse."
Diane Arbus
<><
J
Joel
Sep 23, 2010
Michael J Davis wrote:

Joel was inspired to say
wrote:

I’m on the edge of buying Lightroom, but to me the organisation part of it seems to be attractive. Why I hesitate is because of the 30,000 + images I need to import…

Mike

Here, I have probably more than million images and never care to use LightRoom nor any other program to organize them. I just copy the related photos to same folder, burn to DVD, then remove from hard drive.

And on DVD I print what in the DVD so I know what to expect.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections