R
Posted By
rdoc2
Aug 18, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using CS5 what is the easiest way to make an image one inch shorter and one inch longer. I remember there was, I think a new easy way in CS5, I think. Anyway I will be happy with a way that will work for me. I want to do this on an 10×8 landscape image. Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Joel
Aug 19, 2010
RDOC wrote:

Using CS5 what is the easiest way to make an image one inch shorter and one inch longer. I remember there was, I think a new easy way in CS5, I think. Anyway I will be happy with a way that will work for me.

– SHORTER, the easiest way is to select 1" shorter then CUT IT

– LONGER, there is no easier nor easiest way. But it’s possible depending on what you mean by Shorter and Longer

If you just want to have the original photo have a longer look example from 2:3 RATIO to 2:6 RATIO. Remember I say "RATIO" *not* "Inche" then you just CROP to 2:6 RATIO and that’s it.

I want to do this on an 10×8 landscape image. Thanks!

Do you realize that the Subject and Question don’t match real well?

– LARGER is usually understood as Enlarge, or increasing more pixel to the original for larger print.

– 10×8" doesn’t mean much but the printing size. Or it’s 5:4 RATIO

– I guess you want to print to something like 3:2 RATIO which is either 3×2", 6×4", 12×8" (pretty much standard for most cameras)

And 12×8" is pretty similar to 1" Shorter and 1" Longer, and if you have the original then the easiest way is do not do anything. If you don’t have the original, then CROP to 3:2 ratio.

And if you want even longer then 4:2 Ratio.
R
rdoc2
Aug 19, 2010
On Aug 19, 8:19 am, Joel wrote:
RDOC wrote:
Using CS5 what is the easiest way to make an image one inch shorter and one inch longer. I remember there was, I think a new easy way in CS5, I think. Anyway I will be happy with a way that will work for me.

– LONGER, there is no easier nor easiest way.  But it’s possible depending on what you mean by Shorter and Longer

If you just want to have the original photo have a longer look example from 2:3 RATIO to 2:6 RATIO.  Remember I say "RATIO" *not* "Inche" then you just CROP to 2:6 RATIO and that’s it.

– LARGER is usually understood as Enlarge, or increasing more pixel to the original for larger print.

– 10×8" doesn’t mean much but the printing size.  Or it’s 5:4 RATIO
– I guess you want to print to something like 3:2 RATIO which is either 3×2", 6×4", 12×8" (pretty much standard for most cameras)
        And 12×8" is pretty similar to 1" Shorter and 1" Longer, and if you have the original then the easiest way is do not do anything.  If you don’t have the original, then CROP to 3:2 ratio.

I remember now, the easy way is to do it with Content-Aware. I made or enlarged the photo to make it one inch longer. Thanks for your help.
J
Joel
Aug 19, 2010
RDOC wrote:

RDOC wrote:

– LONGER, there is no easier nor easiest way.  But it’s possible depending on what you mean by Shorter and Longer

If you just want to have the original photo have a longer look example from 2:3 RATIO to 2:6 RATIO.  Remember I say "RATIO" *not* "Inche" then you just CROP to 2:6 RATIO and that’s it.

And 12×8" is pretty similar to 1" Shorter and 1" Longer, and if you have the original then the easiest way is do not do anything.  If you don’t have the original, then CROP to 3:2 ratio.

I remember now, the easy way is to do it with Content-Aware. I made or enlarged the photo to make it one inch longer. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for follow up and giving us the name of feature you have in mind. I myself never used the Content-Aware command or feature I know much about it. Or I pretty much using most of old commands I have been using for near 2 decades.

I will Google for more information about the Content-Aware …. and just by looking at the name, and whatever I have in my mind at the moment .. It seems like it may have something to do with the cloning, healing, hiding, patching etc.. and may be stretching (??? I don’t see how Photoshop can or want to add something like this to Photoshop).

OK… I just found an artical (haven’t read yet) with basic tutorial and just by looking at 3-4 photos from start to finish, I think I have seen a 3rd party shareware program (I think it cost around $30) did the similar which I have looked at and I see it does very poor job. I hope and trust that Photoshop may do better, and user can be able to fine tuning to hide some error spot.

And thanks for introducing the Content-Aware to us.
R
rdoc2
Aug 20, 2010
On Aug 19, 12:25 pm, Joel wrote:
RDOC wrote:
RDOC wrote:

Thanks for follow up and giving us the name of feature you have in mind. I myself never used the Content-Aware command or feature I know much about it. Or I pretty much using most of old commands I have been using for near 2 decades.

I will Google for more information about the Content-Aware …. and just by looking at the name, and whatever I have in my mind at the moment .. It seems like it may have something to do with the cloning, healing, hiding, patching etc.. and may be stretching (??? I don’t see how Photoshop can or want to add something like this to Photoshop).

OK… I just found an artical (haven’t read yet) with basic tutorial and just by looking at 3-4 photos from start to finish, I think I have seen a 3rd party shareware program (I think it cost around $30) did the similar which I have looked at and I see it does very poor job.  I hope and trust that Photoshop may do better, and user can be able to fine tuning to hide some error spot.

Joel believe it does a beautiful job but it isn’t perfect. It isn’t meant to be used for what I used it for but it is great for removing things like a light pole in a picture or a fence (an object that is already there). Do a search for a tutorial on content-aware in youtube.com.
J
Joel
Aug 20, 2010
RDOC wrote:

OK… I just found an artical (haven’t read yet) with basic tutorial and just by looking at 3-4 photos from start to finish, I think I have seen a 3rd party shareware program (I think it cost around $30) did the similar which I have looked at and I see it does very poor job.  I hope and trust that Photoshop may do better, and user can be able to fine tuning to hide some error spot.

Joel believe it does a beautiful job but it isn’t perfect. It isn’t meant to be used for what I used it for but it is great for removing things like a light pole in a picture or a fence (an object that is already there). Do a search for a tutorial on content-aware in youtube.com.

I did have a chance to look at the tutorial of pretty good resolution (higher than most Youtube which can show the technique but quality often too low too check the result) and it seems much better than the 3rd party tool I tested couple months ago.

Photoshop (CS5 only?) sure got the idea from other and does pretty good job on this one. I don’t have CS5 to try it myself, so I may give it a try when my grand-daughter comes home (from college) on next school break. Or I may just upgrade to CS5 even I haven’t used Photoshop as often like used to (almost daily for nearly 2 decades) because of my age and health issue.
I
Infinitech
Aug 22, 2010
PS CS4 got the content aware Scale and PSCS got both the content aware scale and content aware fill.
under "Edit", pretty effective when used with the "mask" feature. HTH

———–
www.imaginerie.org

Photoshop (CS5 only?) sure got the idea from other and does pretty good job on this one. I don’t have CS5 to try it myself, so I may give it a try
when my grand-daughter comes home (from college) on next school break. Or I
may just upgrade to CS5 even I haven’t used Photoshop as often like used to
(almost daily for nearly 2 decades) because of my age and health issue.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections