P
Posted By
PeoplesChoice
Jul 17, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m going to build a desktop and would like some suggestions on what hardware is needed and what capacities. I’m not a game player. Specific recommendations for hardware are welcome.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
JD
Jul 18, 2010
wrote:
I’m going to build a desktop and would like some suggestions on what hardware is needed and what capacities. I’m not a game player. Specific recommendations for hardware are welcome.

I’m not very good at this kind of stuff but I can tell you we’ll need to know your OS and the version of PS you plan to use on your new desktop. Or are you just building a desk for a computer? 😎

JD..
J
Joel
Jul 18, 2010
wrote:

Get a fastest CPU you can afford, depending on the OS you may want to have 4GB or 8GB (mine has 8GB) memory, I have fast graphic card but I can’t tell the difference to have much to say about it. But since thing is so cheap these days so why not building a good system

And Windows 7 if you don’t have anything to against Windows 7. If you are not PC user then MAC is the only other option.
J
jjs
Jul 18, 2010
In article ,
wrote:

See: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs /
J
Joel
Jul 18, 2010
John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I don’t read it but I guess it’s pretty much give the MINIMUM requirement for Photoshop to run, and most people don’t want to run as minimum requirement.

Lets see if my guess is close to what Adobe has at their end.

– For PC you may need either AMD or Intel, MAC you need MAC

– You may need around 1GB of memory, and since Photoshop is around 1/2GB so I guess 1GB of disk space is plenty good.

– PC you may need WinXP (I think newer Photoshop requires WinXP and newer)

– Then monitor and graphic card. Who knows they may mention MOUSE, Keyboard and so on. And that’s pretty much what most if not all software companies say, and that is not most users want. Or the minimum requirement is pretty much for the installation not operating, and in order for the application to run faster we may need faster CPU, more memory, and more disk space for swapping etc..
J
jjs
Jul 18, 2010
In article ,
Joel wrote:

John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I don’t read it but I guess it’s pretty much give the MINIMUM requirement for Photoshop to run, and most people don’t want to run as minimum requirement.

Read it.
P
PeoplesChoice
Jul 18, 2010
My apologies – I should have said that I intend to use a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate. The latest version of Photoshop – whatever that is by the time I finish my computer build (could be many months). I’m also interested in the monitor choice. Please be specific on the choice of hardware if you can (Make, Model, Specs, etc.). Also pros and cons.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:55:59 -0400, wrote:

V
Voivod
Jul 18, 2010
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:57:21 -0500, Joel scribbled:

John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I don’t read it but I guess it’s pretty much give the MINIMUM requirement

So you’ve no business commenting on it then, do you, dip shit?

for Photoshop to run, and most people don’t want to run as minimum requirement.

It’s a starting point.

You’re retarded, right? Little else would explain such a stupid sentence.

– You may need around 1GB of memory, and since Photoshop is around 1/2GB so I guess 1GB of disk space is plenty good.

– Then monitor and graphic card. Who knows they may mention MOUSE, Keyboard and so on. And that’s pretty much what most if not all software companies say, and that is not most users want. Or the minimum requirement is pretty much for the installation not operating, and in order for the application to run faster we may need faster CPU, more memory, and more disk space for swapping etc..

Seriously, go back to the Gameboy and leave more complicated matters to those with the capacity to deal with them… You’re an imbecile.
A
adykes
Jul 18, 2010
In article ,
wrote:

IME, it depends on what you are doing in PS. I now use a Dell laptop containing an Intel Core i3 330M (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB) (low end) CPU with W/7-64 bit.

PS (without a work disk) is very responsive for 14 megapixel raw files and opening lots of them doesn’t slow the system down.

I attribute this to the 4GB of DDR3 memory.

PS opens a 60MB tiff file damn fast. I expected the 5400RPM laptop disk to be a bottleneck. Nope.

If I worked with lots of layers and 100MB .psd files I might have a different experience.

I suspect that a 64 bit machine and OS changes the performance issues completely and for the better.

Al Dykes
News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. – Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail
J
Joel
Jul 19, 2010
John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Read it.

JS
John Stafford
Jul 19, 2010
In article ,
Joel wrote:

John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I’m going to build a desktop and would like some suggestions on what hardware is needed and what capacities. I’m not a game player. Specific
recommendations for hardware are welcome.

Read it.

You have to dig deeper to find what graphics cards they _completely_ support. I was really bummed to find that the Mac Pro (tower) I got cannot use the next best card I wanted. They say you can use it BUT IT WON’T WORK.
J
Joel
Jul 19, 2010
John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

John Stafford wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I’m going to build a desktop and would like some suggestions on what hardware is needed and what capacities. I’m not a game player. Specific
recommendations for hardware are welcome.

Read it.

You have to dig deeper to find what graphics cards they _completely_ support. I was really bummed to find that the Mac Pro (tower) I got cannot use the next best card I wanted. They say you can use it BUT IT WON’T WORK.

Thanks for the information, and as you see we can benefit from your knowledge here instead of pointing to some thing has almost nothing to do with the question. Or as I am trying to tell you, that Adobe, MicroSoft, and most if not all software companies usually give the MINUMUM requirement for INSTALLATION not normal operating.

If you don’t trust me, or trying to educate me then please go back the Adobe link and paste their information here so we can show our appreciation to your help.

IOW, I don’t have nothing to against you, but just give a warning that some correct infomration may not be the right information, or the information most people want to know.
V
Voivod
Jul 19, 2010
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:20:13 -0500, Joel scribbled:

If you don’t trust me

I wouldn’t trust you to wash yourself correctly. You’re an imbecile.
P
PeoplesChoice
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks to everyone for your feedback – although I didn’t really get what I wanted (for the most part). Can anyone be more specific about recommending an LCD or Plasma screen? Graphics card? Sufficient memory?

On 18 Jul 2010 12:56:05 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

IME, it depends on what you are doing in PS. I now use a Dell laptop containing an Intel Core i3 330M (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 3MB) (low end) CPU with W/7-64 bit.

PS (without a work disk) is very responsive for 14 megapixel raw files and opening lots of them doesn’t slow the system down.

PS opens a 60MB tiff file damn fast. I expected the 5400RPM laptop disk to be a bottleneck. Nope.

If I worked with lots of layers and 100MB .psd files I might have a different experience.

I suspect that a 64 bit machine and OS changes the performance issues completely and for the better.
F
fillyflash
Jul 20, 2010
If 64 bit OS, 4 gigs or more of memory. Nvidia graphics card with 1000+ megs of memory which supports 2 monitors(check adobe site for recommended) 2 wide screen lck monitors 2 hard drives. One pretty much dedicated to PS scratch disk. Amd or Intel 5 quad cpu, asus or gigabyte MB. Wacom tablet for PS

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:38:15 -0400, wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your feedback – although I didn’t really get what I wanted (for the most part). Can anyone be more specific about recommending an LCD or Plasma screen? Graphics card? Sufficient memory?

In article ,
wrote:

P
PeoplesChoice
Jul 22, 2010
Thank you – that helps a lot.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:03:41 -0400, wrote:

If 64 bit OS, 4 gigs or more of memory. Nvidia graphics card with 1000+ megs of memory which supports 2 monitors(check adobe site for recommended) 2 wide screen lck monitors 2 hard drives. One pretty much dedicated to PS scratch disk. Amd or Intel 5 quad cpu, asus or gigabyte MB. Wacom tablet for PS

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:38:15 -0400, wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections