A
Posted By
ABC
Jun 21, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PE7. I made a selection and converted it to a layer. Worked on it a bit and then wanted to modify the selection again.

How can I convert the layer back to a selection?

Thanks

ABC

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LL
Leo Lichtman
Jun 23, 2010
"ABC" wrote: (clip) How can I convert the layer back to a selection? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think no one has answered you because it is not clear what your problem is. Have you flattened the image? If not, you still have the worked on selection on its own layer. If so, use "Undo History" to go back and unflatten it.

Any time I have time invested in a complicated selection, on the chance I will need it again, I do "Save Selection"before deselecting.
A
ABC
Jun 23, 2010
Let’s say I spend a lot of time and select the outline of a flower, Convert it to a layer and work some more. I have not flattened any layer.

Then I want to modify the selection of the flower e.g. enlarge it. Can I get the exact flower shape selection back and work on it as a selection?

I seem to remember seeing on some webpage a key shortcut to do this. I cannot find it now.

Thanks

ABC

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:16:50 -0700, "Leo Lichtman" wrotd:

I think no one has answered you because it is not clear what your problem is. Have you flattened the image? If not, you still have the worked on selection on its own layer. If so, use "Undo History" to go back and unflatten it.

Any time I have time invested in a complicated selection, on the chance I will need it again, I do "Save Selection"before deselecting.
LL
Leo Lichtman
Jun 23, 2010
"ABC" wrote: (clip) Then I want to modify the selection of the flower e.g. enlarge it. Can
I get the exact flower shape selection back and work on it as a selection? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can get the selection back by hitting "Reselect." When you say "enlarge it," do you mean add area from the background adjacent to the flower, or do you mean make the image of the flower bigger?
A
ABC
Jun 24, 2010
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:24:13 -0700, "Leo Lichtman" wrotd:

You can get the selection back by hitting "Reselect."

This works only if i have just abandoned the selection("esc’) and then I change my mind and want the selection back. "Reselect" brings back the selection.

When you say "enlarge
it," do you mean add area from the background adjacent to the flower, or do you mean make the image of the flower bigger?

I meant to increase the size of the selection area.

The problem is that once I have made a layer from the selection, I cannot bring back the selection ,unless it was the last step I did so I can use ‘Undo". Very annoying.

ABC
LL
Leo Lichtman
Jun 24, 2010
"ABC" wrote" (clip) The problem is that once I have made a layer from the selection, I
cannot bring back the selection ,unless it was the last step I did so I can use ‘Undo". Very annoying.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When you make your selection into a layer, you end up with the area around it as transparent. don’t you? Use the Magic selection brush on the transparent part, and then "Inverse."

If the future, though, as insurance, so a "Save Selection" before proceding.

Hope this helps.
A
ABC
Jun 28, 2010
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:02:27 -0700, "Leo Lichtman" wrotd:

When you make your selection into a layer, you end up with the area around it as transparent. don’t you? Use the Magic selection brush on the transparent part, and then "Inverse."

Brilliant. thanks

ABC

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections