TL
Posted By
The Learner
Mar 5, 2010
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for suggestions. I also have a question: Since a gaming computer is so good at graphics, would I be wise to consider one of these? I usually use a laptop as a desktop and money is not an object. I am cuurently looking at a Sager gaming laptop – the NP8121
http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=258533

It has a lot of hardware which I would put to good use. Comments please? The more – the better!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

V
Voivod
Mar 5, 2010
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:17:05 -0500, The Learner
scribbled:

I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for suggestions. I also have a question: Since a gaming computer is so good at graphics, would I be wise to consider one of these? I usually use a laptop as a desktop and money is not an object. I am cuurently looking at a Sager gaming laptop – the NP8121
It has a lot of hardware which I would put to good use. Comments please? The more – the better!!!

Wow:

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound – CPU + GPU [+$45.00]

$45 for a $9 tube of Arctic Silver. Since money’s not an object I guess you don’t mind being ripped off.
J
jaSPAMc
Mar 6, 2010
The Learner found these unused words:

Graphics != Graphics

It’s a generic term for imagery.

What you are doing with PS isn’t the same a rendering fast action games.

I’d suggest checking out what designers and those in the art/photo creation field use.

Of course, with £££ no objext, you can always buy another if it doesn’t work out.
TL
The Learner
Mar 7, 2010
On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:10:59 -0800, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Graphics != Graphics

I’d suggest checking out what designers and those in the art/photo creation field use.

Of course, with £££ no objext, you can always buy another if it doesn’t work out.

I shouldn’t have said money is no object. I don’t have the money to waste. But, I’m 65 years old and this might be the last PC I ever buy – so I want it to be a really good one (for use with PS). I thought the Photoshop groups would be the best place to ask – but I’m not getting the responses I hoped for. You mentioned the art/photo creation field. Do you know of any forums or groups I could try? Any other suggestions, please?
PB
Paul Burdett
Mar 7, 2010
"The Learner" wrote in message
wrote:

Graphics != Graphics

I’d suggest checking out what designers and those in the art/photo creation
field use.

Of course, with
V
Voivod
Mar 7, 2010
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:20:30 +1000, "Paul Burdett" scribbled:

something that has a minimum of 4GB ram (for 32 bit
operating system)

Windows 32 bit OS won’t even use the full four gigs so MINIMUM is the wrong word.
PB
Paul Burdett
Mar 7, 2010
"Voivod" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:20:30 +1000, "Paul Burdett" scribbled:

something that has a minimum of 4GB ram (for 32 bit
operating system)

Windows 32 bit OS won’t even use the full four gigs so MINIMUM is the wrong word.

Yes, this is true,,,my mistake.
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 7, 2010
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:31:35 -0500, The Learner wrote:

wrote:

I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for suggestions.

….
I shouldn’t have said money is no object. I don’t have the money to waste. But, I’m 65 years old and this might be the last PC I ever buy – so I want it to be a really good one (for use with PS). I thought the Photoshop groups would be the best place to ask – but I’m not getting the responses I hoped for. You mentioned the art/photo creation field. Do you know of any forums or groups I could try? Any other suggestions, please?

The basics would be a Windows 7 machine that can upgrade to 4 or even 8 Gigs of memory. Photoshop’s use of graphics acceleration is relatively modest. Get one with a DVI monitor output. A MacBook Pro is also an excellent possibility.

Solid state disk drives are still rather expensive and small, but they can make a dazzling difference in speed – consider one for a future upgrade when Moore’s law kicks in a bit more.

The big issue with notebooks that has not been mentioned yet is the display quality. A common solution, and my recommendation, is to use an external monitor while at home, and use the notebook display as space for tool palettes, and while traveling. That said, there are some notebooks with excellent displays, notably the Lenovo ThinkPad W700. The MacBook Pro’s have excellent displays too.

Here’s an article by Rob Galbraith that you might find interesting: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9320-9 876 or go to www.robgalbraith.com and search for laptop display. —
Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
TL
The Learner
Mar 7, 2010
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:20:30 +1000, "Paul Burdett" wrote:

"The Learner" wrote in message
wrote:

Graphics != Graphics

I’d suggest checking out what designers and those in the art/photo creation
field use.

Of course, with £££ no objext, you can always buy another if it doesn’t work
out.

I’m no expert, but my Toshiba Satellite laptop runs CS3 fine…quite quick…it only has 1Gb ram. However, if I upgrade to CS4 or even CS5 I will probably go with something that has a minimum of 4GB ram (for 32 bit operating system) and a suitable dedicated graphics card like a Nvidia GeForce. See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405711.html in orde to take advantage of the 3D capabilities of CS4. My next desktop will be win 7, 64bit o/s with at least 8Gb ram.(and maybe even a solid state hard drive)
Good luck,

Paul
That’s what I’m looking to get with a laptop. I also want USB3.
TL
The Learner
Mar 7, 2010
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:58:13 -0800, Mike Russell
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:31:35 -0500, The Learner wrote:

wrote:

I soon intend to buy a laptop suitable for Photoshop and am looking for suggestions.

The basics would be a Windows 7 machine that can upgrade to 4 or even 8 Gigs of memory. Photoshop’s use of graphics acceleration is relatively modest. Get one with a DVI monitor output. A MacBook Pro is also an excellent possibility.

Solid state disk drives are still rather expensive and small, but they can make a dazzling difference in speed – consider one for a future upgrade when Moore’s law kicks in a bit more.

The big issue with notebooks that has not been mentioned yet is the display quality. A common solution, and my recommendation, is to use an external monitor while at home, and use the notebook display as space for tool palettes, and while traveling. That said, there are some notebooks with excellent displays, notably the Lenovo ThinkPad W700. The MacBook Pro’s have excellent displays too.

Here’s an article by Rob Galbraith that you might find interesting: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9320-9 876 or go to www.robgalbraith.com and search for laptop display.

Mike, could you be a little more specific about where to look for a laptop on robgalbraith.com? I feel a little stupid – but, with my headpain, I couldn’t zero in on that information. Thanks……
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 8, 2010
On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 18:51:47 -0500, The Learner wrote:

[re Rob Galbraith notebook review]
Mike, could you be a little more specific about where to look for a laptop on robgalbraith.com? I feel a little stupid – but, with my headpain, I couldn’t zero in on that information. Thanks……

Here’s the article:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9320-9 876

If that link goes stale at some time in the future, there is a search box in the left column of the main page:
www.robgalbraith.com

I should mention that Roger’s article is from earlier last year, and there may be new models out there.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
J
Joel
Mar 9, 2010
The Learner wrote:

wrote:

Graphics != Graphics

Well, if you really want the best and latest technology then I would suggest you not to buy anything right now but WAIT for a better and cheaper one. I bet you that 10-20 years from now you may slap in the face of anyone who tries to give you the current best.

I started computing before IBM was born so I know WAITING should be the answer, and I should have saved tens of thousands of US$ (or probably somewhere around 50-70K?)
TL
The Learner
Mar 9, 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 03:24:05 -0600, Joel wrote:

The Learner wrote:

wrote:

Graphics != Graphics

Well, if you really want the best and latest technology then I would suggest you not to buy anything right now but WAIT for a better and cheaper one. I bet you that 10-20 years from now you may slap in the face of anyone who tries to give you the current best.

I started computing before IBM was born so I know WAITING should be the answer, and I should have saved tens of thousands of US$ (or probably somewhere around 50-70K?)

The only thing I’m waiting for is USB3 – and it’s here now. I just want to be sure it gets proven out in the field – but thanks for your comment. I take it as a positive 🙂
J
Joel
Mar 9, 2010
The Learner wrote:

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 03:24:05 -0600, Joel wrote:

The Learner wrote:

wrote:

Graphics != Graphics

The only thing I’m waiting for is USB3 – and it’s here now. I just want to be sure it gets proven out in the field – but thanks for your comment. I take it as a positive 🙂

I just built a new system few weeks ago (or over a month ago?) and I had no idea about USB3, and I am pretty sure mine has USB2. Heck, I don’t even know how many USB2 port it has, but pretty sure more than 4 (or more than 6-7 ?).

Hmmm, now I look at the new built computer I have noticed that I don’t connect the the front-USB2 ports like used too. And I don’t remember … oh.. I do remember I did hooked (2) USB2 set of connectors.. and I think it has 2-4 more including at least 2-4 in the back.
JS
John Stafford
Mar 9, 2010
The Learner wrote:

A month or so ago we had a thread here on the best laptop for graphics and a graphics designer responded with a brand I had never heard of. You might search for that thread. I can try, too, if you do not succeed.

Photoshop is using more of the graphics processor (GPU) (if it is adequate and compatible) for more routines than ever, but (IMHO), none are critical to 2D work. One that uses the GPU and is moderately useful is ‘Enable OpenGL Drawing’, but frankly, most people don’t ever need it.

So, I would shop for a laptop that runs an OS you can appreciate, one that has 4gb RAM and a decent GPU. I use a Toshiba Tecra with 4gb, a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 150M monitor adapter. It’s adequate for field use of CS4. And it is affordable.

I will repeat Mike Russell’s advice to get a good, large desktop monitor to use at home, on a desk. A SATA external drive is helpful, too. (The model above supports all that.)

My wife is a graphics professional (layout, design, pre-press) and her portable is a MacBook Pro, loaded. It is great, and spendy.

I hope this helps.

Oh, about this being the last computer you will buy, let this 64 year-old suggest that it won’t be your last. New laptops will continue to be more capable at about the same price for a long time. In fact, I will go to the edge and say that in four years you won’t spend more than $500 for an equivalent to the MacBook Pro, then they will begin to become more expensive as dedicated computers as we know them today are, the average consumer, going to the dumpster, taken over by specialized communication devices.
TL
The Learner
Mar 10, 2010
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:58:41 -0600, John Stafford
wrote:

The Learner wrote:

A month or so ago we had a thread here on the best laptop for graphics and a graphics designer responded with a brand I had never heard of. You might search for that thread. I can try, too, if you do not succeed.
Photoshop is using more of the graphics processor (GPU) (if it is adequate and compatible) for more routines than ever, but (IMHO), none are critical to 2D work. One that uses the GPU and is moderately useful is ‘Enable OpenGL Drawing’, but frankly, most people don’t ever need it.
So, I would shop for a laptop that runs an OS you can appreciate, one that has 4gb RAM and a decent GPU. I use a Toshiba Tecra with 4gb, a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 150M monitor adapter. It’s adequate for field use of CS4. And it is affordable.

I will repeat Mike Russell’s advice to get a good, large desktop monitor to use at home, on a desk. A SATA external drive is helpful, too. (The model above supports all that.)

My wife is a graphics professional (layout, design, pre-press) and her portable is a MacBook Pro, loaded. It is great, and spendy.
I hope this helps.

Oh, about this being the last computer you will buy, let this 64 year-old suggest that it won’t be your last. New laptops will continue to be more capable at about the same price for a long time. In fact, I will go to the edge and say that in four years you won’t spend more than $500 for an equivalent to the MacBook Pro, then they will begin to become more expensive as dedicated computers as we know them today are, the average consumer, going to the dumpster, taken over by specialized communication devices.

Thanks so much for your reply (I’m 65 years old BTW). I HOPE this isn’t the last computer I buy (I was just sort of kidding). At this age, you never know! I’m going to look for that thread. However, I crossposted the original post – so, if you don’t mind, please tell me which group you are referring to. Thanks (old buddy)
JS
John Stafford
Mar 10, 2010
In article ,
The Learner wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply (I’m 65 years old BTW). I HOPE this isn’t the last computer I buy (I was just sort of kidding). At this age, you never know! I’m going to look for that thread. However, I crossposted the original post – so, if you don’t mind, please tell me which group you are referring to. Thanks (old buddy)

I saw it on alt.graphics.photoshop
TL
The Learner
Mar 11, 2010
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:24:29 -0600, John Stafford
wrote:

In article ,
The Learner wrote:

OK, I found it. Seems to say that the Lenovo Thinkpad W700 is a great machine – and I think you’ve looked into it. The only other thing I want is USB3. Sounds like the Thinkpad is what I’ve been looking for. But it’s pretty pricey. I didn’t know they made notebooks that were that expensive. I don’t mind paying that price at this time. But, I’m retired and therefore want a machine that will last at least five years (or so). Do you have any other opinions on the Lenovo? I think you said you might get one.
J
jjs
Mar 11, 2010
In article ,
The Learner wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
The Learner wrote:

OK, I found it. Seems to say that the Lenovo Thinkpad W700 is a great machine – and I think you’ve looked into it. The only other thing I want is USB3. Sounds like the Thinkpad is what I’ve been looking for. But it’s pretty pricey. I didn’t know they made notebooks that were that expensive. I don’t mind paying that price at this time. But, I’m retired and therefore want a machine that will last at least five years (or so). Do you have any other opinions on the Lenovo? I think you said you might get one.

I am not getting one. After some consideration I found that it will probably have the same lifetime any other decent laptop has, and therefore will not be cost-effective.
TL
The Learner
Mar 11, 2010
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:02:10 -0600, John Stafford
wrote:

In article ,
The Learner wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
The Learner wrote:

I am not getting one. After some consideration I found that it will probably have the same lifetime any other decent laptop has, and therefore will not be cost-effective.

Yes, it IS very, very expensive. I’m torn between getting it and settling for something less. Are you looking at something specific at this time? I ask because I would probably look at it too. Thanks.
JS
John Stafford
Mar 11, 2010
In article ,
The Learner wrote:

wrote:

Yes, it IS very, very expensive. I’m torn between getting it and settling for something less. Are you looking at something specific at this time? I ask because I would probably look at it too. Thanks.

I already have a Toshiba Tecra – the one I mentioned in an earlier post. I find it just fine with CS4 and the average image I have to process when in the field.

For production work at the day-job I use an earlier Mac Pro (a tower model).

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

….and I’m going to be getting another, later model with the faster RAM and better GPU.
TL
The Learner
Mar 11, 2010
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:38:17 -0600, John Stafford
wrote:

In article ,
The Learner wrote:

wrote:

I already have a Toshiba Tecra – the one I mentioned in an earlier post. I find it just fine with CS4 and the average image I have to process when in the field.

For production work at the day-job I use an earlier Mac Pro (a tower model).

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

…and I’m going to be getting another, later model with the faster RAM and better GPU.

Thanks, John – but I’m going to stick with a Windows OS / PC. I have a lot of legacy programs I like and I’m just not into learning a new OS. I realize that a Mac is preferred for graphics but I’ll just have to make do. Besides, there are far more programs for the PC and I really like to try many of them. It’s like a hobby. However, I used to use Photoshop and really like it. But I’ve been ill for the past siz years and haven’t used it in that period. Now, I’m getting better and intend to get back into using PS. So, the computer I purchase will be "built" around PS – but capable of running everything else. Once in a while, I have asked on the Usenet for recommendations – but don’t usually find someone who knows what they’re talking about. You sound like you do – so I’m trying to pick your brain to learn more about what I SHOULD consider and what I shouldn’t consider. I like to ‘learn.’ I want something very good / fast but I can’t afford to throw money away. I’m between a rock and a hardplace. I hope we can stay in touch for when I have more specific questions. In the meantime, you have been very helpful – whether you believe it or not. Every little bit of information helps. I’m pretty good with computers but don’t know much about external monitors, calibrating the monitor to the printer, know absolutely nothing about graphics cards (never had one), and need to become informed. If you are willing to help me when I have questions, are you also willing to give me your email address. Mine is Thanks very much………
JS
John Stafford
Mar 11, 2010
In article ,
The Learner wrote:

wrote:
[… mentioned using Mac …]

Thanks, John – but I’m going to stick with a Windows OS / PC. I have a lot of legacy programs I like and I’m just not into learning a new OS. I realize that a Mac is preferred for graphics but I’ll just have to make do. Besides, there are far more programs for the PC […]

FWIW, I use both WindoZe and Mac and now I run both operating systems on the Mac using VMware Fusion.

Photoshop works the same under Windoze and Mac. No problem.

As for calibrating monitors – I don’t even bother. If I need to tune a photo for a commercial printer, I let them do it. If I am doing illustration (Illustrator program), I color by the numbers.

As far as graphics cards, I still have to dive into the vendors’ literature and then cross-critique their position. Then I listen to folks here. An example – recently I was looking for a powerful graphics card for the Mac Pro (earlier one). Apple said the particular card would work with my setup. What Apple did NOT mention is that it would work, but make hardly any difference because the RAM that I got with the computer was too slow to support the card properly. The vendor made that quite clear. So, I did not upgrade.

I’m not a hardware person.

My address is in the header above. Just reverse it.
TL
The Learner
Mar 11, 2010
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:33:23 -0600, John Stafford
wrote:

In article ,
The Learner wrote:

wrote:
[… mentioned using Mac …]

Thanks, John – but I’m going to stick with a Windows OS / PC. I have a lot of legacy programs I like and I’m just not into learning a new OS. I realize that a Mac is preferred for graphics but I’ll just have to make do. Besides, there are far more programs for the PC […]

FWIW, I use both WindoZe and Mac and now I run both operating systems on the Mac using VMware Fusion.

Photoshop works the same under Windoze and Mac. No problem.
As for calibrating monitors – I don’t even bother. If I need to tune a photo for a commercial printer, I let them do it. If I am doing illustration (Illustrator program), I color by the numbers.
As far as graphics cards, I still have to dive into the vendors’ literature and then cross-critique their position. Then I listen to folks here. An example – recently I was looking for a powerful graphics card for the Mac Pro (earlier one). Apple said the particular card would work with my setup. What Apple did NOT mention is that it would work, but make hardly any difference because the RAM that I got with the computer was too slow to support the card properly. The vendor made that quite clear. So, I did not upgrade.

I’m not a hardware person.

My address is in the header above. Just reverse it.

Kind of a thinly veiled disguise, no??? Heh-heh
J
Joel
Mar 12, 2010
The Learner wrote:

<snip>

65 years young? You are more than 1/2 decade younger than I am (I just had my 72nd birthday), and unless you hang yourself before me then it would be your last system.
TL
The Learner
Mar 13, 2010
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:44:06 -0600, Joel wrote:

The Learner wrote:

<snip>

65 years young? You are more than 1/2 decade younger than I am (I just had my 72nd birthday), and unless you hang yourself before me then it would be your last system.

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen……..
J
Joel
Mar 20, 2010
The Learner wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:44:06 -0600, Joel wrote:

The Learner wrote:

<snip>

Let’s hope that doesn’t happen……..

Then live healthy to enjoy more newer technology. 30 some years ago after spent many thousands of US$ (I am talking about nearly 10K) for the latest and greatest computer system, I thought it would be the last one. Or I didn’t think there would be any better one.

And I have been building newer systems every 2-3 years (we often have around 2-3 desktops and 5-6 laptops in my house). And I am talking about the ones we use, or I may have around 5-6 older laptops collecting dirt.
V
Voivod
Mar 20, 2010
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 21:30:12 -0500, Joel scribbled:

And I am talking about
the ones we use, or I may have around 5-6 older laptops collecting dirt.

There are many programs around the country matching needy students with out dated computer equipment. You should donate the paperweights to such a program instead of letting them sit there gathering dust.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections