AC
Posted By
Alex C
Oct 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have drawn two boxes of red and green (solid). Since they are of smaller size than the background, I am able to move them around using the cursor.

When I overlap one over another, the one on the top hides the bottom one.

How can I add these two colors? I.e. in the area where red and green are overlapping, it should become yellow.

I want to do it with out reducing the opacity.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SW
Still Waters
Oct 16, 2009
I don
N
nmg1217
Feb 8, 2010
On 10/16/2009 10:35 AM, Still Waters wrote:
I don’t know why you would want to do this. But since the colors are solid it is easy.

1) Place each color on a separate layer. (layer 1 and layer 2 with layer 2 on top)

2) Change the layer 2 mode to “difference” ……. Still not the color you are looking for.

3) Click Select then Color Range. Click on the overlay color with the eyedropper to select it. Then click okay

4) Press “Ctrl I” to invert the selection. ……… Viola.

Here’s a variation on Still Waters’ method that gives you a little more flexibility.

1) Create the areas of color that you want on separate new layers.

2) Change the layer mode for all but the background layer to Difference.

3. Fill the background layer with 50% gray.

4. Turn off the visibility of the background layer. Voila!

With this method, your overlap area is not fixed. You can move the color blocks as much as you want, and get the
effect of adding the colors with cutting a new mask.

If you are using the color overlap area(s) as a filter over another image layer, one way to accomplish that is put the layers created above into a group, change the blend mode to Overlay, and reduce the visibility to get the desired effect.

Neil
N
nmg1217
Feb 8, 2010
On 10/16/2009 10:35 AM, Still Waters wrote:
I don’t know why you would want to do this. But since the colors are solid it is easy.

1) Place each color on a separate layer. (layer 1 and layer 2 with layer 2 on top)

2) Change the layer 2 mode to “difference” ……. Still not the color you are looking for.

3) Click Select then Color Range. Click on the overlay color with the eyedropper to select it. Then click okay

4) Press “Ctrl I” to invert the selection. ……… Viola.

Here’s a variation on Still Waters’ method that gives you a little more flexibility.

1) Create the areas of color that you want on separate new layers.

2) Change the layer mode for all but the background layer to Difference.

3. Fill the background layer with 50% gray.

4. Turn off the visibility of the background layer. Voila!

With this method, your overlap area is not fixed. You can move the color blocks as much as you want, and get the
effect of adding the colors without cutting a new mask.

If you are using the color overlap area(s) as a filter over another image layer, one way to accomplish that is put the layers created above into a group, change the blend mode to Overlay, and reduce the visibility to get the desired effect.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections