CS4-Why are menu options disabled (Fill.., Stroke… etc)?

CK
Posted By
Christine_K._Brown
Mar 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I apologize if this has been asked before… I searched but didnt find anything.

I just installed CS4 a week or two ago. I’ve used other versions in the past — mostly for processing digital images — and am now trying learn some graphic design techniques, so please forgive me if I’m missing something obvious.

I created a path using the pen tool, changed it to a selection, right-clicked inside the selection area and wanted to Fill the selection, but the menu option is disabled. Does anyone know why?

I am running on Windows Vista, Dell Quad-Core system w/4GB RAM.

Thank you for any input/ideas!

Christine

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Mar 28, 2009
You may notice the context menu says "Fill Path"; you have turned it into a selection. To fill a selection use Edit > Fill or the Paint Bucket tool.
CK
Christine_K._Brown
Mar 30, 2009
Thank you John. The strange thing is that I’m following along with a video tutorial… doing exactly what the instructor is doing and he has the Fill/Stroke options available and I don’t?? Can you think of anything else? or am I really just not following along right (hard to believe as I’ve wathed it now 5 times to be sure I wasn’t missing anything — of course still possible)?
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 30, 2009
I never use the context menu method but tried it before answering your question.

In my copy of CS4 it says "Fill Path".

Do you have a link to the tutorial?
F
Freeagent
Mar 30, 2009
That’s the weirdest thing…

After you turn a path into a selection, right-click and fill path is still available – and it works. It doesn’t even make a shape layer, it just fills the selection with colored pixels.

That is completely counter-intuitive – a vector function that’s working directly on pixels? Anyway, there it is. Apparently the path is still alive along with the selection. It’s still there in the paths panel.

And that’s probably your problem, Christine. It has to be active in the paths panel – not grayed out. Just click once on it.
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 30, 2009
You probably have a vector layer selected in the Layers Panel, or no layer selected at all. Make sure that an empty or a normal pixel layer is selected and that you right+click with a selection tool active as the options that you get when you right+click are different from tool to tool.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections